Universal Rogue Touch (by ChronoSoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Apr 10, 2009.

1. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

This has been brought up before... Unfortunately the existing Rogue Touch leaderboards and ranking systems are too complex for Game Center to duplicate. We'd need to cut it down to a single board where max amount of gold wins, whether you got the amulet or not, whether you were quick or not, or whether you got the most kills or not. I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of flexibility in Game Center. If only I could provide it with all the score data and mold multiple leaderboards out of it... that would be cool! :D

So having a very limited "highest gold wins" board would be possible. Achievements are not out of the question- say for reaching the amulet, another for returning it to the surface, one for killing a monster of each species (26 there), maybe a couple of fun ones like accidentally killing yourself, etc...

Spirit Hunter Mineko and Rogue Touch EX (working title) will be designed to support these things from the beginning. I may still have my own custom leaderboards for these new games to support all the fun metrics you can see with Rogue Touch. Of course most people would never bother to look at them if Game Center was available... :eek:

2. NaFF

NaFF Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Can anyone recommen other roguelikes on ios?

3. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Sword of Fargoal is an absolute delight. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. If you're up for a challenge, iNethack is a pretty great conversion of one of the best roguelikes. Not easy to pick up and definitely not easy to beat - I've played it on and off for probably over 15 years and haven't beaten it once.

4. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Well, there's a lot of them, BeefJerky has hit a few but let's detail some more currently available:

Rogue Touch (obviously, you are here ;))
    Sword of Fargoal (some people split hairs on the definition of this, but either way it's a fantastic game!)
    Cavern
    iNetHack
    Slash'Em
    Isle of 8-Bit Treasures
    100 Rogues
    Powder
    The Dungeon (which just came out today 10/31)

Future roguelikes:
    Spirit Hunter Mineko
    Rogue Touch EX (working title)

Both of these will raise the bar on RogueLikes for the iPhone again :D

5. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    My top 3 rogue likes games in iOS are Sword of Fargoal, Rogue Touch and Cavern.

6. NaFF

NaFF Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Thanks guys. I'll check their prices, and maybe get some of them.

I'am a big fan of PC roguelikes. Played a lot of NetHack and Dwarf Fortress. I did not now there were roguelikes on the iDevices.

7. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    about that, is there any Dwarf Fortress game alike on the app store?

8. NaFF

NaFF Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I don't think so. But it would be nice to see one.

9. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Actually, I would create a different score for this. I would use turns+exp+gold as the score. I personally think it should have been more like that already.

Turns = survivability
    Exp = Combat
    Gold = Exploration

Scores change drastically depending on if you are exploring every room and killing everything, or stealthing and diving for speed.

Additionally, you could actually have a separate score board for each special character + created character and then they all roll up into 1 total score (like the individual worlds do in Angry Birds).

This would encourage people to play all of the special characters for TS.

10. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Quick question, how do you unlock the secret characters? Been playing for ages and not found any. Can you then select them to play when you start a game and do they look different?

Also did I read about a new graphical overhaul due? ;)

11. JGeldhof

JGeldhof Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Comic Artist / Illustrator
    Kent, Ohio
    The secret characters are unlocked by the name you type in. Just start trying out famous characters from film & fiction and you'll stumble on something. "Neo" is a pretty strong one. I went down and up again using him with no real difficulty. The graphics don't really change as far as I remember.

I'm also looking forward to the big update.

12. SteveWD40

Jul 21, 2010
  13. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

SteveWD40, JGeldhof, Glad to see you're still enjoying the game and waiting patiently to see what happens with the big Rogue Touch 2.0 update!

Graphic overhaul is still in progress, I did actually receive a few more sprite and tile submissions over the weekend as a matter of fact. Probably 70% of the visuals are done. New programming is going slowly since I'm spread thin between my day job, Spirit Hunter Mineko, and this update.

I do plan to release RT 2.0 before Mineko, as a showcase of some new ideas and smooth gameplay :D

14. SteveWD40

Jul 21, 2010
    Thanks for the update, can't wait.

RT is easily the best Roguelike on the app store, a genre I am surprised people haven't done more with really.

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I Can Haz Power?

Oh wait... that's for a different roguelike. ;)

16. gammabeam

gammabeam Well-Known Member

great update!

17. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Who will make it out first? Mineko? Fargoal 2? The apocalypse?

I'm so looking forward to at least two of those.

18. nafkert

nafkert Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    CommanderData! Please grace us with an update!

19. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Thanks! :eek:

I wonder the same thing. Seems like we should have seen an explosion of them by now. Maybe it's because most Roguelikes are ASCII and that is not as easy to do for the iPhone- even if you want ASCII characters, you need to paint the screen with them graphically.

Heh, now I need to go try that.

I recall the discussion about that secret, and haven't downloaded the update that disables it yet.;)

Hope everyone will think so!

Hehe! Believe it or not, Madgarden and I are not in a procrastination race. I'm not privy to exactly what he's been doing all this time, but I have been buried in "real world" problems. Pretty sure we'll both edge out the apocalypse either way :D

I provided a brief update yesterday to confirm that work was still happening. Not sure if anyone has been paying attention to my occasional Twitter info, but Rogue Touch 2.0 will be a true Retina enabled game. Rogue Touch 1.6 supports hi-res text, but 2.0 will have all new hi-res graphics to match!

Here is an early rendering of a sticky situation for our hero, Rodney, presented in pants-wetting HD:

[​IMG]

Note I'm still trying to retain some faithfulness to the original 1980s Rogue for Atari ST and Amiga systems (color scheme in particular), but a lot of things are changing... not just the visuals :D

I'm not ready to say when Rogue Touch 2.0 will hit yet. There are still graphics to finish, and new font and inventory rendering code to work on (among some other improvements I have in mind).

Hope you all enjoy the mini-update here!

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What happened to Rodney's shirt? :eek: