Universal Rogue Touch (by ChronoSoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Apr 10, 2009.

1. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

You just discovered the need for searching :D

The magnifier button in the lower left corner is used to "Search" for secret doors and traps in a floor. There's many interesting strategies for the best and most efficient way to search a room or dead end hallway... I'll tell you some of them briefly (you can find more in my forums, posted by other members).

Searching:
    If you find yourself trapped on a floor with seemingly no way to continue there is definitely a secret door hidden somewhere. The trick is finding it. By paying attention to the position of known rooms and hallways on the map you will start to know how to find them more quickly. Whenever you press the search button (magnifying glass) your rogue will search the 8 squares immediately surrounding his or her location.

If you hit a dead end in a hallway, ALWAYS search. Press the magnifier button several times, as you only have a certain chance of finding the door each time you search... the more times you search the greater your odds of success are! After 5 or 10 tries, there's probably nothing there ;)

Rooms- some rooms will have a secret door in a wall... usually the walls that contain a door are facing where another room "could be" if you realize the dungeon is laid out in a 3x3 grid of potential rooms. The best way to find a secret door from inside a room is to follow along the wall of interest, take two steps, press search several times, take two more steps, and repeat. You'll find the door eventually!

Secret doors can be well hidden, making the process frustrating occasionally. In version 1.5 there are several magic items that can help. A scroll of magic mapping will reveal the entire floor layout, secret doors and all. A scroll of safe passage will reveal the secret doors and disarm all traps on the floor. Finally, a ring of searching will assist you by auto-searching as you run around the dungeon!

2. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Pal Van Marrsterhausen Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Just a very minor tweak suggestion for you Commander Data, is there any way you could change the game icon? Could you make it more fantasy/retro based? I like the sword but not the @ behind it... I know this may be trivial but it really would be the "cherry on top of the cake" on an amazing game, Rogue Touch Rocks! :D

3. VoidCog

VoidCog Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Ah, thank you! I didn't realize that you had to search multiple times.

My journey continues!

4. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Thanks so much for the complements! Glad that it's near perfect in your eyes already :D

Just in case some people may not be aware, the idea behind the icon and the title screen of RT is a nod to the original rogue game... where you were simply the "@" sign running around a dungeon drawn with "+", "-", and "|" symbols... being attacked by voracious "D"s (Dragons :))

I think the "@" definitely conveys the "retro" part of the game well. Could the icon be a bit prettier and portray the fantasy better? Maybe... I was just discussing some thoughts with a graphic designer today. We'll see what happens in the next update or two graphically :D

Again, thanks for the great responses here... we'd be nothing without all of you.

-----

VoidCog, glad I could help! Keep exploring, and don't let the frequent deaths deter you. They just mean you're not strong enough *that* time. The next time you play you could have the magic item of a lifetime! I had a great game like that myself recently as you can see on my leaderboards...

For everyone else playing... Keep in mind the game is meant to be hard ;) we've had over 6,000 scores submitted in 2 weeks, and only 14 non-secret characters have retrieved the amulet so far (one of them was me)!

-----

PS- Mindfield, I'm sorry I had to play the dirty trick of a sale to make more work for you! If you get something posted send me a PM or let me know here so I can be sure to check it out ;)

5. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    I had the same problem. Just go to where the hallway ends and click search around 20 times and you'll find a secret door.

6. Jeffro87

Jeffro87 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Guys maybe a dumb question, and I admit i've never played the original Rogue or many roguelikes for the matter. I bought Shiren the Wanderer on the Nintendo DS, which I believe was a SNES import of a roguelike. It's a lot of fun and INSANELY challenging and unforgiving and i've grown to really like Rogue Touch. I'm sure I could learn this on my own but ive only played 2 games thus far. Here's a few questions...

~Gold... does it serve a purpose or is it purely for score? In Shiren (my only roguelike reference) there are towns and shops between dungeon levels was curious if Rogue Touch had anything of the equivalent...

~I may also be spoiled from Shiren knowing what level the enemy is that im facing... I'm assuming you're left somewhat trial-and-error with finding strengths of your opponent?

~Lastly, how many levels are there? Was just curious myself :)

Thanks guys, this is my first post on TouchArcade and you've compilied quite a polished game Commander kudos and i'll try to stay active in feeding ideas and support.

7. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Pal Van Marrsterhausen Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Thanks for the insight on the design of the current icon, much appreciated! :) It's safe to say that the excitement for this game is partly due to your excellent & passionate presence on the forums! Once again Rogue Touch Rocks! :D

8. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Jeffro87, you probably can see the similarities between Shiren and Rogue Touch then, being a player of both.

Gold currently is only used for score and prestige in the leaderboard online. However, there will be a shop in an upcoming version of Rogue Touch that allows you to buy and sell equipment! :)

Enemy strengths will be detailed in our FAQ soon. We have someone who's offered to help write a more detailed one!

The Amulet is on the 26th floor, but if you don't pick it up you get another chance on each subsequent floor. I myself made it to the 37th floor the other day. Someone playing as a secret character (Neo) made it down to the 100th floor!

Thanks for signing up just to post in my thread, I'm honored!

You're welcome! And we'll always try to keep a dedicated presence here for all of you guys and girls. Yep, there's girls on the internet too! Some of them even play Rogue Touch :D

9. Hey, it's all good. Reviews are my thing, and I'm always happy when I get to review something I really like.

The review is actually almost done -- I'm just playing through to grab some new feature screenshots and get some ideas of the changes from first-hand experience to post additional thoughts.

I think I've noticed a few unmentioned tweaks perhaps. It seems as though the drop rate of identify scrolls has been tweaked; I've found four of them in as many floors, though maybe that's just good fortune. Also, have you decreased the percentage of darkened rooms as you descend? It seems like more rooms are illuminated for the first few levels of dungeon. Again, that may just be the roll of the dice in my current game.

Really enjoying it though. Good to get back into the game. Too often I get torn away due to other responsibilities. I need a potion of Haste Self in real life. :)

You know where to find the review; check back in 30 minutes or so and it should be posted. :)

10. Jeffro87

Apr 10, 2009
    Ahhh thanks for your feedback!

Two ideas im just gonna throw at you...

1. One dynamic i liked about Shiren was how two of the same enemy units could combine to make a super unit... I think a feature that would fit well in Rogue Touch maybe?

2. Secondly, and this may be on purpose?? But i noticed that nothing is capitalized when it comes to the text? Such as when you first start the game it greets you and says welcome to the dungeons of doom? I would expect maybe capitalization? I dunno.

About the levels, that's pretty cool that if you chose to, you could continue on as far as you could. Sadly im a horrible employee and i've only had a chance to play two games while at work (it's a slow day so why not), so tonight i play to really sit down and see how far I can get.

Another question... I ran across this "shrine" in maybe the 1st or 2nd level? It appeared to have no purpose and it read "This shrine was left behind from guild (some random 3 digit number that i can't recall).... What is this exactly?

11. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Ok, lets hit these two:

1) That is a very interesting thought for what we've been referring to as "advanced mode" here. Basically the idea is by the time we hit 2.0 we would like to have two gameplay styles- "classic" is pretty much what you see now, and most like the original rogue. We've already taken some liberties with classic and added things not in the original. To appease the purists, we don't want to make it too different! So "advanced mode" will allow us to add in new things like Monsters, Bosses, Shops, and so on while leaving the core gameplay there for people that prefer simplicity :)

2) Capitalizations in the original rogue were pretty much non-existant, and we tried to model it as closely as we could to the original. I agree it looks a bit odd, maybe more so since we accidentally capitalized some new things. We promise to pick a case and stick with it :D

Some of our other fellow rogues play during meetings, in the waiting room for interviews, while actually talking to their girlfriends *on the iPhone at the same time with RT open*, and save us all, the toilet... So you're not alone ;)

That shrine/monument on floor one is just for our own amusement right now. It will however become a feature point where you'll be able to see the names and info on rogues that have come before you (as based on our high score server info)! It might even see another secret attached to it...

12. Jeffro87

Apr 10, 2009
    See i was pretty sure the "all lower case" was in homage to the original, and in that case very cool. I knew this was truly a tribute to the classic and for the purists and even though ive yet to play the original rogue (@ ftw) i still have much appreciation and enjoyment in this game.

And advanced mode would be amazing sir. Man I love to see a developement team that feeds off of it's customers opinions and gripes, im excited for the advancement of this game.

For now i'll try to keep my questions to a minimum until i've really had a chance to play this out tonight.

Thanks for all your feedback and of course Rogue Touch.

13. aendaman

aendaman Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    another good one

yo, just updated to 1.5 - great stuff as usual. was stumbling across an odd monument on floor one having cryptic writings on it. is that the in game leaderboard?

14. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Yep, it will be in another update anyway!

Jeffro87, please enjoy the game tonight... I will have to sign off and leave the forums for a while sometime soon (have to meet up with a fellow day-job consultant!) but I'll make sure to catch up with everyone as quickly as I can!

15. aendaman

aendaman Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    traps

another thing: i noticed with some dismay that monsters are not affected by traps... does not really make sense to me though.

16. MrMiller

MrMiller Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    so i just got this game and now i am on floor 7

i guess every game is randomly generated, although it seems like there no where to go at all

there are 4 dead ends

what do I do? start over?
    I drank every potion / read every scroll I had

17. There is always a way, grasshopper. Search, and ye shall find. :)

(That is to say, find areas that look like they should lead somewhere, like to empty areas of the map, and use the magnifying glass on the bottom left to search the walls. You may have to search 10-20 times before anything is found, so find a spot, search a bunch of times, then move to the next spot. Note that searching covers a 3x3 area around you, so you don't need to search every part of the wall, just every other part.)

18. MrMiller

MrMiller Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    ahh thank you, that worked ;)

i was under the impression that searching once on a location would find anything possible around there, didn't know it was % based or however its done

also, maybe this has been explained before, but what do the numbers before a weapon mean? is +1,+1 better than +2,0 ?

Ive never played this kind of game before ;)

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, the possible cheesy excuse is that this being their lair, they've learned how to avoid them (even when walking right over them).

20. Yes, it does sometimes take a number of turns searching. The numbers for the weapons indicate the bonus to hit/bonus to damage modifiers. The first number is the bonus to hit, meaning you'll have that much greater chance of landing a blog. The second is the bonus to damage, which is the additional damage you will do when you strike.

So, a +2/+3 longsword gives you a +2 bonus to hit and +3 points of damage.