Universal Rogue Touch (by ChronoSoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Apr 10, 2009.

1. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    #21 FilthyCanadian, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
    @Commanderdata, downloading now, I've read other forums, I appreciate very much all the hard work you put into this game.

Two questions: If I quit, do I lose my progess? Like, my touch is almost dead.

And, how do I stop from being teleported all the time?

2. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    For anyone still on the fence about this game, BUY IT NOW! It's a steal at .99 so buy it now! I don't regret getting it at 2.99 so .99 would be perfect.

3. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

If you quit, it auto-saves your progress. Same thing if you get a phone call or SMS message on an iPhone....

For Teleportation: You must have accidentally put on a cursed ring of teleportation if you are not actually stepping on a teleport trap :) There are scrolls of identify to tell you what items are before you use them, not as common as some people would like but they do help! Also a scroll of remove curse can make that ring removable again, which would stop your random teleports.

Go see my equipment list for more details on what you might find and what every item does. There's a lot of neat stuff to get in the game now, and we add new items all the time :D

4. twalkabout

twalkabout Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 12, 2008
    hey CD,

played a quick game, already had one of those "you hear the pattering of many feet" or something indicating a treasure/monster room. that's super helpful, because then i can make sure to have full health before entering rooms, and also put on any combat rings. are there ever treasure/monster rooms on lower floors? of course the idea of a room full of dragons, griffins, vampires, and jabberwocks is frightening, but i just realized i've never seen one. maybe because i statistically spend less time playing on those floors?

one more quick question: i used to identify all my weapons by throwing them, but i just threw a long sword at an orc, and it was gone when he died. that didn't used to happen in 1.4 i don't think. is that a bug or a bug fix? i know that with arrows and bolts, there must be a certain chance they are unrecoverable if they hit something, because i would only ever get some of those back, but i always got everything else back.

updated my review, thanks again for all the hard work

5. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    So in this you adventure around, exploring, killing stuff, getting better armour/weapons? Is it fun? I might buy it if it sounds fun.

6. twalkabout

Patreon Bronze

Nov 12, 2008
    it's not your typical RPG, in that you find totally random equipment as you go down the dungeon, so you could find the best weapon you're gonna have on the first floor. plus gold at the moment only serves as points (a store is possibly in the works). but i have had way more fun playing this than any other RPG on the iPhone because due to the randomness of it, it's got a huge re-playability factor. give it a shot, especially for .99 while it's on sale

7. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Glad to hear that the "party room" warning is useful :) That and the one that says "something smells good" are great to keep you prepared for food or heavy combat! Treasure/Party rooms have a chance of appearing on any floor after the first one. I have stumbled into one full of Jabberwocks and awful beasts when I made my 37 floor run (which has already been beaten I see)!

On that throwing/identification of weapons... There are a few cases where you could lose the weapon:
    1) Throwing at a Leprechaun
    2) Throwing at a Nymph
    3) Throwing at and killing *any* monster in an area where there is no room for a new item to fall. This can happen easily in hallways or doorways... or sometimes in a party room if it's full of monsters and treasures already! :)

Sorry to hear you lost a sword though, definitely be careful when using that trick because it can occasionally leave you defenseless! That and double-vorpalizing your weapon are some classic gaffs! :D

Thanks so much for the support and updating your review. I'll try to keep up the good work!

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It is a very addictive Strategy/RPG. You set off on a trek to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor in a randomly generated dungeon. The compelling aspect (and admittedly frustrating aspect to some) is that you never know what you'll find. Survival is all about figuring out how to best optimize the use of your random loot (potions, scrolls, rings, armor, weapons, wands, etc.). At times you'll find a two handed sword of flame on the very first level of the dungeon but in other games you'll have nothing but your starting mace for more than 10 levels. In some runs food will be abundant and in other runs you'll find yourself struggling to keep yourself fed as the bddies swarm around your constantly feinting adventurer.

Live the addiction!

9. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Was sitting on the fence.
    Now, I jumped :)
    Thanks!

10. Justom

Justom Well-Known Member

I finally bought Rogue Touch :) and I can't help but say that this game is truly amazing.

11. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Ok, you guys have convinced me. I am going to buy it now, I hope I'm not disappointed.

12. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    So I bought it :) will post my reaction after i get around to playing it!

13. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Well, I admit as much as anyone it's not the prettiest game in the store, but if you like magic, monsters, and turn based gameplay it's really very addictive. I've been playing it regularly myself... actually look for me on the leaderboards to see the great dungeon run I had the other night :D

Make sure to get familiar with the game by asking questions here and my forums... a lot of nice people willing to help out in both places ;)

Your Personal Robot, Justom, STP_Tim, I greatly appreciate you guys taking the chance on it too.... take your time with it, old school games like this were meant to be savored :)

And WOW, I just noticed that Blake's seen our little party here... new story on the home page. I'm greatly honored... If you've got any gameplay tweaks or special equipment you'd like to see drop me a note anytime :)

14. twalkabout

Patreon Bronze

Nov 12, 2008
    oh yeah it was totally in a hallway.

15. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Cool, that's a mystery solved! We've been pretty careful, went through a ton of code line by line to make the improvements that are in the 1.5 update. It took longer than we'd hoped but I can say I'm proud of the results so far. I'm sure that someone will discover a new bug every update, but we're in a much better place to fix things quickly now :)

Hope everyone is busy playing now... I will try to be here all day to answer questions but any seasoned players are encouraged to chime in and help too :D

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    This game feels sooooooo good and spot on.
    Won't lay it down for a long time.
    Big thanks, CD. This is a game made out of passion.
    I can totally feel it while playing.

Highly recommended to EVERYONE.
    One of the best games in the store!

17. Sweeeeeet! Just updated. Now I've gotta post a review for it. And play it. :D

Looks like a most excellent litany of new features and bug fixes, which is going to make the experience that much sweeter. And the sale should convince lots more to pick it up who were on the fence. (Like you, FilthyCanadian -- glad you finally jumped in. :))

Man... this weekend is going to be chock full o' everything.

18. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Thanks for the gushing praise! We've put many months of sweat into this, actually started last October!!! Been a crazy trip so far... RT is definitely on a number of people's must play lists now. Funny post in my forums about it: There's a thread where people post what page of apps they keep Rogue Touch on. There were two people who actually put it down in the dock so it could be accessed anywhere! :)

Glad you could get the update and join the party! I was just reading you blog and see you're seriously backlogged in reviews already! Love the funny Scientology/Tom Cruise bit too ;)

Please do let me know what you think. I hope you'll approve of the major overhaul this has been through since your original review... Looking forward to reading about it when you get caught up! Oh, and watch for your previous game's corpse... looting bodies is a fine tradition that should be found in any game worth playing :D

PS- I think I started a sale avalanche here!

19. Well, of course I've been waiting for this. I haven't had a lot of time to play it, but a new version and subsequent review is the ideal excuse to do so. :D

Yeah, but you're lucky you put on a sale. That makes the posting of the review time-sensitive, and therefore puts it at the top of the pile. Cheater. :D

Tom Cruise is the perfect face for the scientologists. It's highly visible and well-known so a target with nothin' but bull's eye on it. I didn't wanna pick on Katie Holmes 'cos I'm pretty sure Tom dragged her into it. Otherwise I could have made a nice pod-people joke. :D

Absolutely! Nothing I like more than picking through a dead body's personal effects. Especially when it's my own. :D I'm quite sure this will meet with my approval, though.

Good! The more the merrier. The front page article on TA probably helped. Now I'll have to see what I can do to add to the feeding frenzy. :)

20. VoidCog

VoidCog Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I used to play the old DOS Ragnarok game, so when I saw this was 99 cents I had to get it!

Quick question: I got to floor 8 (if that matters), and I seem to have reached a dead end. I started in a 2x10 room with one door, and when I go through the door, it continues for 3 steps and then dead ends. I've inspected every tile on the floor (which there aren't that many of), and I can't find out where to go. It's just a small room, with a single door that leads to nowhere. I've tried walking through the walls to see if there was a secret door. Am I missing something? Is this a bug?

Thanks.