iPad Rogue Touch --- Version 1.1 Details

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Feb 22, 2009.

1. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member

The people here at TouchArcade and in these forums have been very kind to us, so I want to bring the news of our first planned update here where everyone can see it... We haven't been out by the pool smoking cigars with supermodels, we're busy trying to make Rogue Touch even better!

Some of you are desperately waiting for the ability to listen to your iPods while playing (Slayer, Rob Zombie, and Britney Spears all called me the other night, and told me to hurry it up!), others would like to be able to play the game with less tapping involved, and some of you would just like to see some more equipment... With that in mind I'll give you our list of update items that are making the cut for version 1.1 :D

Version 1.1 planned features:
    * Play your own music-in game (through the same methods you can in many other games)
    * Door locations shown on mini-map overlay (already functional in the simulator, it really does help a lot :D)
    * Fast-Play option- multi tap in the direction you'd like to keep running in. Your character will go on in that direction until he reaches an obstacle or passes something interesting.
    * Remember your last used character name, no need to type unless you want to try another name.
    * Option to turn off vibrations if you dislike them
    * 2 new potions: One is Hallucination, which was found in a few Rogue variants. Drinking it is probably not wise. The other is a secret one of our own design... You'll either love it or hate it. Maybe both :)
    * 2 new weapons: Katana and shurikens!
    * 2 new armors: Ninja Suit (shozoku) that provides stealth, but offers little protection, and Elfin chain mail, which is stronger than basic chain mail and cannot rust!
    * A few tweaks under the hood to various probabilities and magic numbers to balance things as needed...

Beyond those we'd gotten a lot of great ideas for future upgrades from everyone out there... Thanks for your support! If you don't see what you're hoping for here it's probably going to happen, but more likely in the next release or two beyond. If you have more ideas, please add your thoughts here or go to our forums (http://forums.chronosoft.com) and make yourself heard in the Feature Requests sticky so we don't lose track of them!

Release plans for version 1.1: as soon as we're able! If all goes well we'd like to have this into Apples hands in a few days from now. Their approval process can take another three to seven days on top of that. If we're lucky and *everything* falls into place you could be playing the update sometime next weekend :D

Tell us what you think, and keep on playing ;)

2. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    sounds like a great 1.1 update.

I can't wait to play it while sitting by the pool surrounded by supermodels.

3. MNFats

MNFats Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Sales
    Minnesota
    Great Stuff!!!

Sounds fantastic!

I'm looking forward to enhancements on an already fantastic game!

4. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Good stuff, Mr!

5. Very nice. I'm definitely going to be looking forward to this update. (Well, all updates, really, but this one will make gameplay a little cooler.)

6. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I might give this a shot once 1.1 is released.

7. ScotOfTheHighlands

ScotOfTheHighlands New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    That's great news! I've really enjoyed it as is though~ Decided to finally register to say that! The prospect of new enhanced equipment is awesome. Maybe some new monsters next time??? :cool:

8. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    But but...all 26 letters have already been used! Perhaps he needs to start using symbols and numbers.

9. plaidman

plaidman Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks for the great work CD. I can't wait to pick up the update!

10. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I just picked this game up and I love it!
    Keep up the good work!

11. Kirtas

Kirtas Active Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Looking forward to the update.

12. preuve

preuve Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Wow, that was quick. You guys really are working hard.

I'm wondering, what do you think about the idea of having a poll for one major enhancement to be added in a future update? Or would you prefer to keep them as secrets to keep us coming back for more? :p

Some things I'd love to see.... in no real order:

• Shop to spend some of that hard earnt gold.
    • Uniques - monsters, weapons, armour.
    • Option to identify inventory on death.
    • Expanded detail on high score list (tap to expand) - numerical score, equipment maybe?
    • Angband. :D

13. CommanderData

We're trying... I want Rogue Touch to become something really special!

I think a poll for version 1.2 enhancements is a good idea, and we'll come up with a neat list for that once we've caught our breath on the 1.1 update. Even if we poll everyone, there will be some secrets each and every time just to keep things interesting :D.

I can say I wouldn't rule out any of your possibilities. Angband of course would be an entirely new project though ;)

Let me apologize in advance if I don't get a chance to answer a few questions here and there. The coding must go on!

14. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    One of the things I liked about *bands better than rogue is that weapons once identified have xdx for damage shown. If you try to google "rogue weapon list" all you get is WoW stuff.

but I have never seen why they are just not listed in rogue.

15. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Does anyone know what the price is going to be after the introductory price ends?

16. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I really appreciate the developer's activity in this forum; I have asked this question before, but I do not think it was answered.

Will there be Global Leaderboards? I already purchased this game and I absolutely love it, but I think the only satisfying motivation I can get from it is if there is a little competition;)

17. CommanderData

I could possibly add the xdx damage values in, but it's been pointed out that text is being trimmed in the inventory/pack table as it is due to larger descriptions. I think it might be better if I just post the specs of each weapon in our upcoming FAQ. Weapons actually have two sets of xdx values, one for wielding, and one for being thrown/shot.

I'd love to see global leaderboards get into a future revision. I've got a lot to learn about network programming and PHP to make something like that happen. In order to make it a bit more competitive we'd probably want to track things like deepest floor reached, amulet returned to surface, gold, rank, number of monster kills, and number of turns taken... Just for the stats freaks out there :D

We've been playing it loose with the pricing. Our first instinct was an introductory week at $2.99, then kick the price up a couple of bucks (a pattern that a lot of developers take). As long as sales remain steady I think we'll maintain the introductory price at least until version 1.2 is ready to unleash, just to let some more of you on board before things start to get really interesting with the things we've got planned for Rogue Touch! :cool:

18. Sounds like a fair pricing model. $2.99 is definitely a bargain, and I hope the Tight Wallet Posse will think so too. $4.99 is perfectly fair for this game, too -- still a very good price all things considered. I hope it does well at that.

19. MNFats

MNFats Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Sales
    Minnesota
    Not Working?

CommanderData,

I'm really enjoying the Rogue Touch experience!!!

one question for you though... This may have come up in some of the other posts/threads, but I don't have the time to read them all. I looked up a support e-mail, because I'd rather report bugs to developers through e-mail, rather than through public formats as this one.

I'm experiencing a major crash of Rogue Touch. I played for approx 45 min total. I was on level 3 or 4. I think I was a level 5 or 6 character. everything was great until today when i tried to go back and play it again today. I touched the app on my iPod Touch 2nd generation with all the updates (NOT jailbroken). It began to run, showed the splash screen, and then quit running and brought me back to the iPod Touch home screen (I don't know what it's called... the OS where you can pick your apps etc.)

I tried to restart it, but that didn't work either. any suggestions? I'll likely uninstall and reinstall from my iPod, but I just wanted you to be aware of this.

just wanted you to know.

20. CommanderData

I'm sorry to hear that you had a problem... We've had no support e-mail available because the e-mail server setup was not completed until yesterday afternoon. I'll make sure to provide a support address on our site sometime soon!

Your issue sounds as though there was a crash during the write of the save file, corrupting it. That would explain why it would die again upon restarting (it's trying to read the save file during the title music). Your best solution for the moment is to delete it off the iPod and re-install. I will examine the saved-game loading code to see if I can eliminate that issue before we submit the update. :)