iPad Rogue Touch player names ?!?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by parranoya, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Alright --- I have been bored with seeing Fat Bastard in my top scores ---But it has made all the difference in my gameplay --- I have not starved to death since---- I have tried a few new names like Drizzt, Mini Me, Thor ---but has anyone figured out some of the new names to use to get that little "extra" out of the game?

CommanderData feel free to drop us some hints! I dont know how goofy to go.

PS --- I love the magic mushrooms and the halucinogenic potions ---the grass and unicorns are so pretty!

2. MNFats

MNFats Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Sales
    Minnesota
    The actual name "CommanderData" worked in v. 1.0

It hasn't worked for me after the updates... it was nice though. got a very nice dagger, nice armor and a ring of slow metabolism.

Good thread.

3. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member

Good idea for a thread... I think most of my forum members are aware of a few more. ;) have you tried any other classic books and movies??? Hint Hint :D

4. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So are these player names sort of like cheat codes? I remember reading one of commanderdata's posts and he said something about cheat codes that the players must find themselves. Has anyone come across anything like this? Im going to make a fat bastard now.

I love this game but I find I never make it too far into the dungeon before I get surrounded by 5 monsters and get a gang beating. Some kind of cheat to help me would be fun.

I probably suck cuz I never played the original. Still really fun and when it comes time to choose a game from my list I keep picking rogue touch up - even though I seem to have horrible luck.

5. parranoya

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    #5 parranoya, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    "Thor" --- gives you a 3+,+3 shocking war hammer and +2 chainmail with only 3 rations of food.

Once I die I will try"CommanderData" and see what I get.

Even with all the goodness of Fat Bastard I only have made it to Level 22 with the title of Warlord -- a Medusa slapped me to a -17 HP ---- it all happened so fast...in all my years of playing the game I have yet to get the Amulet of Yendor --- but I cant wait to see some shops in here so I can start spending the useless gold on some items and potions.

6. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I agree with you on the shops. So as of now there are no shops? Again, I haven't played the original so I still don't know what to expect. Seems right now the gold is just a different way of expressing your "score"

Is adding shops too far off from the original?

7. Shops were a staple of Hack, but not Rogue. CD is adding shops as part of an "enhanced" Rogue mode that will be an optional gameplay mode in a future version.

I'm looking forward to a store personally so we can finally do something with that gold ... and also give you something more to be pissed off at leprechauns about.

8. parranoya

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA

I also think that shops were common in a rouguelike clone called Angband. But ---we need more character names --- My problem is I have read way to many books and watched too many movies ---- I am thinking to either work my way through marvel comic names or classic book....Dracula .... frankenstein...Jack the Ripper...as for movies ---- no clue what they could be ---- :)

9. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #9 writingsama, Mar 8, 2009
    I've only tried it twice (and the first time I died horribly fast), but Merlin appears to give you a preponderance of scrolls EVERYWHERE and good loot (I got a class 8 armor on the 3rd floor) and my level seems to be going up faster than usual...

EDIT: Merlin is great, but eventually starved to death even with a stealth ring (stupid Ogre...) and 2 armor rating and 19 strength on level like 18...never found a weapon

10. CommanderData

Yep, there was no shop or use for gold in the original other than score. We actually have at least TWO uses for gold planned in the advanced version of Rogue Touch. Only one of those will be a shop...

I can tell everyone that there's roughly 20 secret character names embedded in version 1.2. Some of them just affect your starting equipment, and some of them give some interesting abilities or side effects :D These started off as a joke during development of the main game, and kind of stuck around. Now we plan on adding more secret characters into every update, along with other neat goodies...

Happy hunting everyone! If anyone finds another secret character- try to post hints at it here rather than giving it away outright... let's make a bit of a game out of finding them ;)

11. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Here's a hint for everyone. Think lord of the rings.... I got a few names so far off that hint alone. Got any other hints you can give us CD? Also, I found Thor and Fat Bastard looking through the rogue touch forums. Another tip I found at a quick glance at the rogue touch forums was that the names are nerdtacular. So Im thinking other nerdy movies and programs. Perhaps star trek if the dev's name is commanderdata, eh?

12. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I'd like names outright personally...I'd eventually like to GET that amulet of yendor thingy...

13. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    I'm doing quite well ATM with my famous barbarian of Austrian origin...

14. parranoya

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    LOTR has a few good characters ---Try thinking about the potion and ring powers then think of a character that has those powers --- just type in their name in a new game and see if it works --- I just found 5 new names today! But I played for about 2 hours ----used Thor ( thanks to the new weapon in the update) and made it to level 27 but was destoyed by a dragon becuase of a cursed ring of teleportation. I just made a character with a prickly disposition and a very magnetic personality...lets see how far I can get him --awesome he also has a very acute sense of smell ---- I LOVE IT!

The devs are very clever ---this has just made my day --- Who would not want to play this. This adds an amazing new way to play and connect to the game.

15. parranoya

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    #15 parranoya, Mar 8, 2009
    Got it!

@writingsama ---- it takes time ---skill and lots of luck to make it out alive --- have played this game since it game out on the PC --- I have played the online version --- and today is the first time I actually touched the amulet ---then I died. So have patience. Come up with strategies ---like finding and using as many scrolls and potions as you can early on so you wont have to emperiment when in a pinch. Hope that helps.

16. #16 Mindfield, Mar 8, 2009
    I cheated the hacker way, but I was only able to find 14 names in the code, at least two of which I don't think work. (I haven't tried them) Oddly, the Alexei one (not giving anything away here) wasn't there, so I guess that makes 15.

I'll give a few hints:

1. Your dungeon-crawling chronicles might fare better when it's pitch black.

2. Looking for some elfin gear? Try exploring the forgotten realms.

3. Of course you know, Arda is a good place to look for people.

17. CommanderData

Even with the names it's not a guaranteed victory :) My own hidden test character from version 1.0 ("CommanderData" as most people discovered) was very strong, had an awesome superweapon before they were made publicly accessible in version 1.1, and I still had a hard time getting the amulet!

There's a certain mix of luck and skill required here, a bit less luck if you use a hidden character perhaps, but it'll be tough no matter what. ;)

Congrats to those who have found characters so far- thanks for the feedback! We tried to make each one interesting in it's own way, while reusing items and capabilities within the Rogue world. The hints are getting pretty obvious here so I'm sure everyone will know at least half the secret characters shortly! :D

18. parranoya

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    The game is very fun but with the addition of these hidden characters make it even more enjoyable to just goof around with. This might be a way to get players interested in the game even if they dont like the graphics or know nothing about Rogue itself.

When all the names are blasted out --- you might make them avaliable via a drop down menu in the name spot so the uninitiated might have a chance at surviving more than 5 floors in the next update.....big selling point(maybe). I know this is not a purist thing to do but I like this version better than the original .... I am having way more fun with it than ever now!

19. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    #19 Spek, Mar 8, 2009
    Hey CD. Is there anyway you can remove the spell check from the name maker? I'm no programmer but from the looks of it you are using menus that come with the idevice. So I assume the spell check is "built in" to that. Also, I agree the name secrets is adding even more interest to the game. I know this isn't a suggestion thread but I think being able to change your character's look from the option screen (so you don't loose the speed and ease of starting a new game)

20. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    1. Your dungeon-crawling chronicles might fare better when it's pitch black.

2. Looking for some elfin gear? Try exploring the forgotten realms.

3. Of course you know, Arda is a good place to look for people.[/QUOTE]

Got em thanks