Universal Rogue Star (by RedBreast Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 9, 2015.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Oh snap this is a great game! :D

But no manual docking? :( I kinda miss that - even X style docking would have been fun. :)

I admit, it was tough slogging through the tutorial w/out inverted Y axis though.

Options to lock the fire and/or roll buttons would be great. (i.e. make them an on/off toggle)

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I only noticed that one after I finished the tutorial, could be that I was playing outside with glare and didn't see it at first.

I'm guessing it's to represent gloss on a mostly flat, but beveled at the edges, screen (kinda like the iOS 7 icons ;)) but it seems to be a bit much. Maybe it's supposed to be light down from the open cockpit (assuming a 'lighted universe' which corresponds with the ships being as visible as they are, but wouldn't make sense while in a station.

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Well, maybe they could add an on/off option in the menu, like opening or closing the helmet's visor (I'm sure the air is breathable :D).

One game this one reminded me of is Codename MAT. Anyone here old enough to have played that one on their Amstrad or Commodore? (Aside from me :p)

4. fusermarucs

fusermarucs Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Just bought this due to the positive comments here. Enjoying it so far!
    Surprised nobody has mentioned that fingerprint on screen. Looks really out of place!
    I'd like to add my voice to the 'tilt controls ' and 'hold to fire ' requests....
    Otherwise it's all good: great humour (get the smegger!)

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Does Codename MAT II count? ;)

6. dirtschmooz

dirtschmooz Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2015
    almost insta-death and frustration early on is putting me off. Like the look and feel of the game, but seems really basic for space trader. Controls need refinement too. Bought to support and will wait for updates before investing any time. Also seen a few spelling mistakes

7. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I remember codename MAT ... Do you remember federation of free traders? Was similar to elite

What is the fingerprint for at the bottom?

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    This looks great. These guys need to start generating some publicity for themselves.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #89 VirtualBoyFreak, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    Don't get frustrated with difficulty. In fact if you read the news of the planets, they mention that there are many first trip deaths. I guess difficulty is high on purpose. Once you get used to controls, I find them great. I'm more into touch controls though, so I understand tilt-lovers' frustration ;)

It's also more arcade than a pure space trader, and its bidding mini game is also more arcade than pure buying and selling for benefit.

What I like a lot about this game is that you can play it in short bursts, and even though dogfights are quite difficult, once you get the grip it is a fantastic feeling when you win a 2-pirate dogfight.

https://m.facebook.com/roguestargame

10. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    Got a survivor and I don't know what to do with it

11. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Congratulations I know that the game will be the "BEST NEW GAMES" this week :D

12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Never played that one. I was too young for strategy games back then. I just liked shooting aliens :p

The fingerprint is the menu button. You click it and go to the pause menu. It looks cool, a great detail.

13. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    finally got a trip which i didnt get killed. lol
    hooe this is a good beginning. anyway, what does the auction do ? dont really get how it works.....

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    It's pretty neat once you get the hang of it. Hold the button on the lower left and it will show you what the item is worth at different planets, so you can try and match up what you are buying with where you are going. Also, the little thing that looks like a battery symbol above the heads of the other bidders is how full their cargo hold is, so if you have the choice to get someone kicked, pick the one with more space.

15. Stevencarla

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    thanks !! always wondering what that battery thing is lol, so does that mean if other biders battery is pretty full, means that they got larger capacity/ more money for bidding more stuff?

16. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England

Federation of free traders wasn't a strategy game though, it was like elite and you could communicate with other ships

17. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England

I'm dunno if it's same as elite, but survivors in elite, you sold them off as slaves

18. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    You know which planet to sell them?

19. netmute

netmute Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    #99 netmute, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    I seem to have found the only tactic that makes the early battles actually survivable.

Make sure your lasers have more than 80% power, but not so much that they drain your shields. Then, when 2 pirates attack you at once, try to hit both of them once as soon as possible. That will make them dodge your fire, so they won't shoot at you so much.
    Pick one and try to kill him fast. If you give the 2nd one time to shoot at you again, you're as good as dead.
    If you manage to kill one, the fight becomes easy.

After the fight crank your shields up to 100%. Wait till they're charged, then divert power to lasers again. Only continue with a full shield!

I still think the difficulty is WAY to high. Especially this early in the game.

20. Stevencarla

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    very uesful tips, only pushing the shields to 100% leads to a dead end...