Universal Rogue Star (by RedBreast Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 9, 2015.

1. korkidog

korkidog Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 12, 2012
    Illinois
    Looks like an amazing game and one I'll enjoy. Buying now!

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Ok, just clicked on credits and WAITED :p It's a 5-man team + special thanks. Anyway, it's a GREAT game... Even though I was completely destroyed on my first mission :D

3. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Any gameplay video to share?

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    After playing some of the new releases... This is easily the game of the week. This has soooo much potential and the best flight controls I have played.

5. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    This is already in Apple's Best New Games, I'm so glad it's getting recognised by them as they can be pretty random with their choices at times. I imagine Editor's Choice will be the obvious Implosion/Mortal Kombat but it's a lot better than nothing!

6. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Here is my brief review (it can be summarized as :"GO BUY IT BECAUS IT IS THE GAME OF THE YEAR!!!":

Just bought! Played 20 min or so and... I AM REALLY IMPRESSED!!! For those who played Elite for the first time 30 years ago, Rogue Star is a nosthalgic leap into the past! The game is nearly perfect! Devs where right: we do not need cockpits in this game, music is so involving and appropriate, combat and maneuvers are enjoiable, the trading dynamics look solid, graphics are smooth even on my old friend iPhone 4S. Menus, dialogues, carachters, tutorials and helping are simply awesome. This game is worth the not so cheap price, probably I would have paid even more! In next updates I would like to see an accelerometer control system (even if actual touch system is really perfect), a docking cinematic sequence just like the undocking one and more ships to buy! For now I return on my trading route becouse I need more money to buy my dream ship: the "Mygga"!!! Good job guys!!! We are all proud of you!!!

7. Azi

Azi Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2014
    I haven't bought this yet but I just wanted to state I will 100% buy this down the road - Looks fantastic. I've got a backlog to play and that'll give the Devs some time to add stuff, fix any launch bugs etc. if there are any.

Can't wait to get into this!!

8. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    GoF aint open world.

9. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Agreed. Played and think that it's one of the greatest games this week :D (Hope that I'm not wrong :rolleyes::p)

10. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Well, I'll grab this at the morning (2 AM here in Mexico, so I can't really say tomorrow's morning) but with Implosion, Devious Dungeons 2 and Mortal Kombat X I'm sure that the competition is gonna be tough.

11. netmute

netmute Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    #31 netmute, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    This plays just like the old Elite, I like that.
    It's just soooo hard. I haven't managed to finish a single trading run without being shot down :(

Edit: Seriously, is there some way to turn down the difficulty? This is frustrating.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I do like a 3rd person view but i think theres plenty of third person space games, not so many like this on the app store

Anyway glad its out, buying now!

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I played the original Elite as kid too :)
    Bought, will see how it plays later today.

14. asaw2

asaw2 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2013
    South korea
    Any share play video?

15. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    If you are having difficulty, and are dying fast, increase power to the shields. Im blastin fools, but was dying at standard shield power. Gotta adjust and adapt.

16. terrence92

terrence92 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Few things I like to see added;
    * a visual roll when you do a dodge spin with the aircraft would be nice
    * 3 person view to change in between
    * a continious press for shooting

17. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Woah. This looks awesome! Definitely picking this up when I get to some wifi.

18. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Solid game, I'd like a sensitive slider for controller please

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The auctIon minigame is so addictive!

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    First impression after a few minutes of playing the tutorial is pretty good.

I like the retro look in some places (the greenscreen-style radar). But the pixely font and interface are weird, they don't fit well with the great and smooth looking ship designs.

The controls work really well, especially the "power slider" on the left (great feature!). I guess I won't be using the Roll button much, though. Hard to do while firing at the same time.

Stuff I miss already:
    - Hold down "Shoot" to keep firing.
    - Adjusting control sensitivity.
    - Some indication if I actually hit the enemy. Could be I just missed it, but then it might not be obvious enough :) The only one I saw so far was the occasional comment from the enemy pilot, like e.g. "This hurt".
    - A "lead/trail" marker showing where to aim to actually hit. Admitted, I suck at figuring this out on my own. Which is exactly why I'd appreciate some help here ;)
    - "Auto-Follow" : Mark a target, hit "Auto", and the ship computer tries to keep you at the same distance and the target in your reticle.
    Hope I can get a smarter computer soon who does the trick with "Marker" and "Follow" for me...