Universal Rogue Legacy (by Cellar Door Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Son of Anarchy, Aug 8, 2019.

1. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    ALEXANDER HAS FALLEN!!! My IBS, OCD hokage smashed and farted his way to victory!!!! Next is the tower.... my god this game is like digital crack.

syntheticvoid likes this.
  2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha, congrats!
    :D

And no kidding.... I just checked my screen time stats....
    26 hours spent on this game in the last 7 days and I just started my NG+4 run.
    =P

***work is frickn boring (data entry)....
    so glad I got back in to mobile gaming.
    =P

3. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    HOLD DA FUQ UP!? NG+4?! GOOD LORD!!! ARE YOU THE MOBILE GOD KING OF ROGUE LEGAY?!? GRANT ME YOUR SKILLS!!!!

syntheticvoid likes this.
  4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =P
    I'm now on NG+8....
    =/

Around 3 or 4, it started getting REALLY easy. Actually, I've had the same character for the last 4 games.... he still hasn't died.
    =P
    I originally thought that the enemies would keep going up in level while you would stay locked at some number, but - that is not the case.
    I'm hoping that the only way it'll get hard again won't be me having to not throw any money into stat upgrades anymore....
    <shrug>

Still though.... GREAT game. Hehe.
    It was loads of fun the first few times through it.... with the first time being the best. For me anyway....
    So.... enjoy it while you can!
    =D

5. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I have never played it before mobile, despite hearding good things, but now I have to say: this game is awesome.

I am still very bad at it, but I won't give up. This is a perfect fit for mobile and the controls work great.

syntheticvoid and TheSpydog like this.
  6. rhinofinger

rhinofinger Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I seem to be running across a persistent bug. I'll sometimes encounter a room, usually in the castle or forest areas, with a single black skeleton archer miniboss in the middle, lots of temporary/retracting platforms around, and spikes across the bottom. It's marked on the minimap with a question mark icon, like most minibosses. However, no chest appears when I defeat this miniboss. Am I doing something wrong? Last time I encountered this skeleton archer miniboss, his enemy name was "leraje," which I haven't been able to find in any wiki entry - looks from the wiki like he's a skeleton sniper.

Anyway, I love this game, and I'm so glad its on my phone now! Used to play on Steam, pretty sure I've finally eclipsed my progress from that playthrough (just because it's so much more convenient to play now!)

7. TheSpydog

TheSpydog Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Male
    Thank you for the bug report! We're looking into it. Glad you're enjoying the game! :D

rhinofinger likes this.
  8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha....
    I thought this room was just a boss with no reward.
    =X
    I had no idea there was anything wrong with it.
    =P

9. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    This game is awesome.
    I’ve been glued to it for the past seven days.

Talbs and TheSpydog like this.
  10. TheSpydog

TheSpydog Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Male
    Okay, an update should be available soon that fixes the new mini-bosses so that they actually drop chests. Thanks again for the report @rhinofinger, and thanks for the further confirmation @syntheticvoid!

Awesome, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

rhinofinger likes this.
  11. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Would love to play this game on Android.

12. rhinofinger

rhinofinger Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    #112 rhinofinger, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Thanks, @TheSpydog!

Seems like I’ve actually encountered another bug, this time relating to iCloud. I seem to have developed a “Save data conflict” issue. I’m guessing it’s likely due to a poor connection at some point, as I’ve been playing this on the go quite a bit.

Anyway, the options are “Reload and use iCloud data” or “Use Local.” I know my local save is fine and I don’t know what’s on iCloud, so I’ve been trying to select “Use Local.” Trouble is, this doesn’t seem to do anything - the error just keeps popping up every minute or so. See the attached screenshots for two examples. I don’t want to select “Reload and use iCloud data” as I don’t want to revert my save game to some unknown previous state, but this popup has been popping up at really inconvenient times, like in the middle of a jump over a pit of spikes. It would be awesome if you could fix it, or let me know what I can do to fix it! I’ve tried putting my phone in airplane mode, and while that stops the pop-ups, they start back up again after I take my phone back out of airplane mode.

If it helps, I’m on an iPhone 6S running iOS 13.1, but the bug started while I was on iOS 13.

Thanks!

Edit1: Two days later, this issue seems to have solved itself. The popups have stopped showing up. Not sure what happened, but issue resolved!

Edit2:
    Okay, so a few days after my previous edit, the game told me upon boot up that my save file was corrupted and that it was going to revert me back to a previous save file. Thankfully, I didn’t lose much progress - I think it only set me back one generation. However, now, just one or two game sessions after that, it’s started showing me the “Save data conflict” dialog box again every ~20 seconds. Not sure what to do about this.

Attached Files:

athros likes this.
  13. EnGeneral

EnGeneral Member

Mar 24, 2013
    any word on a potential android release?

14. TheSpydog

TheSpydog Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Male
    Hey all, long time no see! :)

A new update for Rogue Legacy should be arriving on your iOS devices very soon. It contains a few important bug fixes and a small change for gamepad players ("!" icons will now appear as UP ARROW icons), but the most interesting part of this update is that game has been rewritten to use Metal instead of OpenGL ES for its rendering. This means the game is way more efficient for your device! If you've experienced battery drain or overheating when playing the game, that will hopefully now be a thing of the past. This renderer also future-proofs the game so it's guaranteed to work on new iOS versions for at least the next several years.

Thanks to everyone who's played the game so far! I know it's been a long time since the last update, so thank you for your patience! Hopefully your device's batteries will appreciate the the new renderer. :)

To address the issues brought up here back in September (so sorry I missed these!)...
    1. @rhinofinger Yikes, is that still an issue? That seems like it might have been an iCloud bug. I think Apple changed something about how it worked in iOS 13. If it's still a problem, let me know.
    2. @JackDerp @EnGeneral No plans for an Android version at the moment, sorry! The engine the game uses doesn't support Android, and it'd be an enormous amount of work to port it over. (Way more so than the iOS version.) :(

bx59 and stubbieoz like this.
  15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Right on! Thank you all for your hard work and keeping up with development post-release.
    I might have to re-install this and play through it again.... this time... without having to be within cord distance of an outlet.
    =D

TheSpydog and downgrad3r like this.
  16. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    #116 downgrad3r, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Just gifted another copy to a user on an older device. Thank you, TheSpydog, for the continued support, which, in turn, contributes to the notion that these titles are experiences that may carry significant value for mobile customers. Even the least of these... (Which is far from the manner in which I would describe either the mobile port of RL or mobile as a platform, by the way!) So many devs succumb to the notion that mobile is merely an opportunity to make a little bonus cash after success on other platforms (eg, Binding of Isaac) or that, once ported, maintaining and/or improving the experience for mobile customers isn’t worth the time or effort. Again, see BoI as an example of this practice. Thank you for investing in us and in this platform. Thank you for seeing the value of our collective experience (at present and for the foreseeable future) as something worth the diligence and hard work that you have poured into RL.

17. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    BoI doesn’t appear to be for sale on the App Store anymore... been down since the beginning of the year. One of the biggest examples of wasted potential on the App Store. I can’t think of a title with a better fit for mobile; small play sessions, tons of content (I mean TONS), and a progression system that really hooks you.... Ed and Nicalis really dropped the ball. I echo the sentiments of others here, thank you for your continuing support of this title and hope you don’t randomly stop supporting it someday. Lol

syntheticvoid and downgrad3r like this.
  18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, totally surprised about that.... I REALLY thought that they'd bring it back considering it had been in the top 100 paid games since it's release....
    =/

Anyway - again, thank you, devs, for updating this post-release. I've reinstalled it and, playing through again on a new save, it's just as fun as I remember it being the first time through - and I haven't even reached NG+ yet....
    Great, GREAT stuff!
    =D