Universal Rogue Hearts (by NINETAILS CO.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by dbagga84, Feb 19, 2018.

1. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    I dropped my 100gem cloak - resolved

Just to keep the story up to date, I accidently dropped my 100gem cloak and lost it.

Ninetail refunded my 100gems, and in a future version will be adding a proper prompt for gem purchased items to make sure of an extra level of idiot proofing for folks like me

Give your monies to Ninetail happy that they have your back

2. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Thank you!

3. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I really want to go in on this game. I love the art and the gameplay looks fantastic. I just don’t want to support a game with an upfront cost that is designed like a F2P game with microtransactions... no matter how cheap/generous it may be. Any word on if it will eventually go F2P like so many similar games before it?

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @MintCity: Seriously, it's only a buck. AND, even more important, as several people (including yours truly) stated in the thread, the game design allows you to completely ignore the F2P mechanics if you feel so inclined.
    It might go completely free (as in 0 bucks initial price), or it might not. Honestly, no idea. But anyways, if we were talking about, say, an initial price of 25€, I could understand your concern.

You write "I love the art and the gameplay looks fantastic" . Even if you only get one hour of fun out of the game, that's worth more than 1€ already in my book.

In this case here, my verdict is:
    If you enjoy dungeon crawlers with Diablo-style loot collecting, give this one a try.

P.S.: However, if you are opposed to buying a game with F2P mechanics that MIGHT go free at some point on general principle, my bet is that noone will be able to convince you to get this one ;)

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed. I’ve already put a bunch of hours into this and plan to keep at it. I see the .99 as kind of a donation for a game that is worth many times that. Considering how often I’ve spent $20+ on Steam or Switch for a game I’ve played for a few hours and dropped, Rogue Heart is a steal. The game has plenty of depth, a story that has kept my interest, really nice animations (for example, when you bash a wooden platform for resources, you see the pieces fall down around you), interesting boss encounters, a decent soundtrack, and a ton of little details that let you know, someone really cared about what they were doing. Someone wrote earlier (his post was loved elsewhere) that we get the kind of games we support. Well, I want to see more games like this, whether they are premium or supported by fair IAPs.

6. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    The micro-transactions are completely ignorable, you get a FULL game here, then gems get you pretty costumes, game improvement perks (slightly higher pull distance for loot, or auto destruction of scenery for speed resource farming), and if you want them better loot chests.

You get gems for playing, and a couple every day to allow you top buy these things if you want them.

I can confirm that the NORMAL chests contain end game equipment having dropped two legendaries already (level specific so wont last too long).

This is a FINE dungeon romp, and the buck is there to make sure the devs get something for their hard work initially as you do not need to pay anything after this to fully enjoy the game as much as you want

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Ouch, just tried my hand on Elvira. Level 17, and she wiped the floor with me.
    Will give it another shot later, any hints from folks who already beat her would be appreciated.

8. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    #108 MintCity, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    I feel as though some of you got a little bit defensive after I made my previous comment/question and misinterpreted what I was conveying. I specifically said that "I just don’t want to support a game with an upfront cost that is designed like a F2P game with microtransactions... no matter how cheap/generous it may be." Again, like my direct quotation said, "no matter how cheap/generous it may be", I don't feel comfortable supporting this type of system in fear that other companies will eventually make it the norm. I know that what I do has little to no impact on anything without others doing the same. Ha ha. I simply wanted to see if anyone knew any information on whether it would go f2p in the future. I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to reply to my question though! I just wanted to clarify a bit as to not offend anyone. Thanks again guys!

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Update on Elvira:
    Almost beat her, she got the last hit in before I could - we were both down to "next hit kills". I used all Stun skills in Rian's arsenal. You can get all his skills by level 17, by the way; and Belrose's even as early as lvl 15.
    I'll complete my current upgrade cycle of getting all needed skills to current maximum, which should take me two days and also result in some better equipment. I'll give her maybe one or tries in between, but not sure yet.

10. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Not offended, or defensive, just would not want gamers to miss out on a treat.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Exactly. Not offended — just hoping people give the game a chance.

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #112 Nullzone, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Same here, not offended at all, nor defensive. Seconding what squarezero says.
    @Mintcity: Nothing to worry about ;)

UPDATE:
    In other news, I just kicked Elvira six ways to Sunday :D
    Got incredibly lucky and found a great Epic Orange 1H Sword. That, plus a handful of extra skill and equipment levels, and reaching lvl19 was more than enough. The weapon made a world of a difference.
    Picture of the weapon stats is on TA's Discord, Chatroom channel, labeled "Roguehearts new weapon". if you don't see it right away, searching for that label or my post history should find it.

13. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Having a good time with this game. Quick question to the vets, do you break everything down into RP or do you ever sell for gold? Also, has gold ever become an issue?

Thanks in advance! Just want to say this game is a STEAL for .99 and I have gotten some really good items out of the free loot chest after boss fights.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I would go with RP. You can get plenty of gold from the side quests you pick up at the pub.

15. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Could anyone kindly confirm if this game works offline?

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #116 Nullzone, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    @maxbrickem re RP:
    As squarezero writes, the daily sidequests from the Pub give really good rewards, both in Gold and equipment: I got over 15k Gold each yesterday and today, plus two good Purple items today which went to my heroes as improvement, and not into upgrading items.

NEVER dismantle Orange/Yellow items for RP/material before you are swimming in them. They are way too rare for that, e.g. I got 4 in total now.
    Same goes for Purples: I use those only to enhance my Purple equipment to level 2.
    Blues I use for enhancing first, and then dismantle.
    Greens and below I just sell these days; but especially on levels below 15 I dismantled everything until I ran out of money - at which point I switched to selling for a while.

NOTE: This part is no longer accurate, I think dbagga nailed it down, see update below.
    ALWAYS dismantle items with the ornament in the topleft corner. Those are too rare to use for enhancing - they give you the item powders for Grey Guild Crafting.
    UPDATE: Different opinion on the ornament items by dbagga, here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=4087221&postcount=119
    Thinking about it, I second that now. With the caveat that I need to check the list if really every ornament item can eventually be turned into lvl30 gear (e.g. not sure about the Troll stuff).

Also, Gold was a severe issue before I discovered the daily quests. I was always struggling and e.g. my skill levels were way behind my hero level. But catching up pretty fast now.
    Even now it's not that plentiful that I can just buy everything: I do have to plan a bit what I want to do next. Even more so because I spend quite a bit on experimenting. E.g. 6000+ yesterday to try some things.

If you are really pressed for Gold, replay one of the dungeons that give lots of Ore as materials, create Ingots from it and sell them for a net gain. Repeat as inclined.

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No, it needs a permanent internet connection.

18. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    @MintCity

All good. You have your opinion and I respect your stand on not wanting to support games that have an upfront price but by all appearances will go ftp. #
    I also support that way of thinking, to a degree.

By all means you can wait and hope the day comes where you wont have to give this dev a buck for their game. It will probably happen as that is the usual trend for $0.99 games in the App Store. But you are just denying yourself the option of playing a fantastic game right now, especially if you like turn based combat and lots of loot in your games.
    I am more than happy to support the dev for this game and the business model they have chosen. After spending that dollar you don't have to spend another cent if you don't want.

Or you might even find yourself in my position where I think I am actually going to spend some more money on some premium currency as a way of further supporting the dev (especially after reading McDeathUK post above). I will probably just use the money to get some extra storage space and maybe a convenience item or two.

Sorry for the wall of text and sounding like a fanboy.
    I just want to appeal to your better judgement and take a deep breath and buy the game. You will get a ton of fun for your dollar.

Trust me...he said. #

19. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    As a veteran also, I actually have the opposite opinion. NEVER dismantle the special equipment with the ornament in the upper left corner. Because of how rare they are and because they all can eventually be used to make lvl 30 orange gear. Now if you find, let’s say the goblin boots but don’t care about how rare it is and want the goblin short sword. Sure I suppose dismantling it to get 1 of the 5 powders you need to make the shortsword. If you’re lucky enough to find 4 more goblin armors you don’t want. They’re just so rare and since they all upgrade to lvl 30 I suppose the best way to save them until you’re level 30 THEN go to the blacksmith (if you have the legendary designs) or grey guild and look at some of the equipment, find the one/set you want then start working towards it. Of course I agree never use em to enhance other gear. but I wouldn’t recommend decomposing all of them either. Especially if you know what set you want at the end and have some pieces to it. Like I want the ancient warrior stuff. So if I find ANY blue ancient warrior stuff I will keep it since I can upgrade it to rare/purple then epic/orange. The equipment with the ornament is much more rare then the orange gear lol. I’ve found 5 ornament equipment total. And probably 8 or 10 orange. I’ve even used orange to enhance other orange lol it doesn’t fall all the time but it’s been enough. Besides I’ve only enhanced orange weapons. :p

20. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    wow thanks for the replies! great info- yeah i've found one orange so far, just hit level 9. I haven't messed w any crafting / upgrading yet and I didn't even realize there were sets ... guess i gotta look for one to look for.