Universal Rogue Hearts (by NINETAILS CO.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by dbagga84, Feb 19, 2018.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I did write “long” not “big.” :)

2. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I'm a bit surprised games are allowed to download additional content on IOS. How does this pass cert? The dev could easily change the package post-certification so that the download is something entirely different, such as something that could compromise security on the device, etc.

This isn't the only game to do it, I've seen a few but they are more the exception not the rule.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Actually, it’s an extremely common thing. The way apps work on iOS, all that can be downloaded is data, not executable code. I assume that the same is true in Android.

I’m actually pleasantly surprised by this game. It feels like an honest-to-goodness RPG/dungeon crawler, with a real story, decently sized dungeons, destructible environments, fairly deep combat, and decent graphics and animation. The localization is, well, quirky, and the story so far is basic, but compared to all the FTP battling RPGs out there, it’s a breath of fresh air.

BTW, even though there is a premium currency (which you can also earn slowly in game), there are no timer or gacha mechanics. As far as I can tell, it works like a Kemco RPG, with basically cheat items available for a price.

All in all, I’m digging this.

4. vid_icarus

vid_icarus Member
    Patreon Gold

May 11, 2014
    the game lets you switch from portrait to landscape at will = five stars 10/10 would recommend

5. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    The Game looks amazing, but it's still not available in the German appstore. :confused:
    Hope the game will soon be released here in Germany!?

6. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Personally I really dislike rare chest you can open with gems after you beat boss. Belongs to ftp imo

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Haven’t run into that. The cheat items are sold in a magic store in town.

8. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Thanks Square, trying bc of this review.

9. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    The first version supposedly came out 6 months ago, but English language support was added a week ago? And since it’s only available in English what language was it in before? :confused:

I’ll probably give it a try anyway.

10. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    #30 nyanpass, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    The advantage of this game is that it is refreshing at first, but there are many simple repeat quests later on. Developers have recognized these issues and are updating additional content.

Since the server frequently shut down during the initial release, many users complained. When the server shut down, the items in the process were also lost and there was no reward. But now it's solved to some extent.

And the biggest problem is that in order to enjoy the game properly, they eventually require extra payment.There is a system called skill linkage, which is opened with jewels obtained from additional payments. The game has received a lot of criticism for encouraging users to make extra payments to solve their difficult levels.

My conclusion is that it is appropriate to enjoy as much as the price($0.99), but you need to pay extra to make the game clear. It is a vague game to recommend. Then, the rest is up to you. ;)

P.S
    The game still needs Internet connection. I don't like that much. These ongoing Internet requirements have been shown in the introduction of the app in their local release. But even though an Internet connection was needed, they deleted this notation in this global version.

11. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Also still the same for Austria.

Now that it’s also out in Greece and the Netherlands, what gives? Why still not available in other (German speaking?) European countries?

Only difference now when I click on a link for the game is that I get the “item not available in the Austrian store” message instead of the dev name headline thing described in my last message.

12. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #32 Gambler, Feb 21, 2018
    Pity. Sounds like they should have made it FTP in the first place. Why are there so many games who initially charge 99c anyway when they are and were clearly planned as freemium - Why charge that buck to begin with? So that some people from the premium crowd think it’s pay once and play forever?

13. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    #33 nyanpass, Feb 21, 2018
    I think that the sellers and developers should have told users about these features in the introduction of the app. And it is not a multI-player, cooperation or duel game. So I think there should be at least another explanation.

-This game requires an ongoing Internet connection.
    -Additional payment may be needed to ‘clear’ the game.

Is it so hard to include just these two sentences in the introduction of the app?

14. Thorster

Thorster Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Germany
    Grrrrrrrr

.... still not available in Germany. #

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    First impressions

So, after a few hours of playing I can share some impressions:
    Looks pretty good overall, graphics are nice.
    Gameplay is - as expected - combat-focused. Combat's are interesting, with different skills you can use, but so far very much on the easy side.
    Another major gameplay aspect - and one I do not like at all, at least the way it's done here - is resource gathering for crafting: you need to destroy a metric f*-ton of environment in every dungeon level to get these resources. That's a waste of my precious gaming time, just give me all that stuff in a treasure chest at the end. Very bad design decision in my book. Also, I can already see that this will turn into a major grind in the long run, not something I am fond of.

While I didn't run into a hard paywall yet (but remember I am only a few hours in), I already saw several "mini-paywalls": e.g. at the end of some dungeons you get a treasure chest as reward that you can only open with Crystals (premium currency). And no, you don't get near enough to open - maybe - more than one per day. Clearly designed to make you spend real money. But I have to add that you also always get a non-premium chest, which so far always contained good things.
    Oh, and there's a looong list of equipment that needs outrageous amounts of Crystals to craft/buy.

On the other hand, loot distribution is pretty ok so far. I constantly get equipment (and skill) upgrades, including some very nice stuff.
    Leveling could go a bit faster for my tastes, though.

I got a second fighter (an archer) after completing the first story arc. But unfortunately it doesn't look like you can form a party. Instead, currently I can only choose which of my two heroes fights in a level. And you can't switch on the fly, which would have been the better design for this. Well, getting a party of 3 or 4 would have been better even.

All in all, for only one buck it's more than fine. You can get quite some fun out of it, even more so if you just ignore the grinding/freemium elements.
    My verdict: Get it, and just play for as long as you have fun.

16. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I don’t know how anyone has killed the troll? I went in and got my ass kicked. Twice. Barely touched him. I know the strategy. Hit him from the side and/or behind. Ok so first I’m having a hell of a time dodging his air stun attack. Next I noticed he sometimes charges which stuns him when he hits a wall, but 1 I don’t know how to make him trigger this and 2 since it takes up 3 blocks in width I dunno how to dodge it anyways. I never got a chance to hit him where it counts cause he just stuns, atks me a few times, repeats, then bum rushes me and that’s it I’m dead. So any strategy info here would be helpful. The enemies match your level so I don’t see how going out and leveling up would help.

17. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Btw anyone who just bought or will be buying. Save your crystals for storage increase. It costs 20 to buy the second page. I like a fool used 10 on a chest and I regret it my storage is full of metals and gems so I’m constantly having to sell off stuff I know I’ll need later. The items stack but don’t stack right. First you have to use up space to put multiple stacks in, then sort to get them to combine then you have to wait 1 minute to sort again.

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @dbagga: The Troll was quite easy ;) Use the Charge skill to get away from him and one field to the side when he starts charging up: he charges in a straight line, so if you stand to the side he'll miss you and get stunned for several turns where you can whack away at him.

Also, thanks for the info on the storage space, that sucks :( I spent 20 Crystals on opening chests, not smart now that I know this.

19. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    Now available in the German Appstore!;)
    But now I saw the game has IAP. :mad:

20. Ryzaerian

Ryzaerian Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2017
    It was fun, but the paywall hits hard around level 15.

Make no mistake. This is a pay-to-win title. Because the game forces you to play both characters instead of letting you pick one, you eventually get to a point where you’re severely undergeared with one or both characters. That’s where the pay chests come in.

It’s a shame. The mechanics are really fun. Would’ve been a great paid game. I would’ve gladly spent 10 bucks, etc.. But this is dirty.