iPad Rock'N'Roll is FREE

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Oct 15, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
  2. fpugirl

fpugirl Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    Thanks! I'd been waiting for the lite version to try it out, but now I don't have to!
    :D:D

3. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Hey, nice find NotYou! I'm downloading it as i type.

4. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Yeah thanks a lot Notyou! I can't believe that I just got this game for free - it looks awesome!

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Weird, I got an email from the dev 2 days ago about how my mini review was harsh since the game was 99 cents and asking how I would change it.

I emailed them back yesterday about how they can fix the controls to make the motion sickness occur less frequently and I never heard back.

Then this happens =/

6. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Hate to see this, bought it on releaseday at full prize, 3,99 i think. Will never buy anything from this developer again. Good game, crap to have paid for something that is free now.

7. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Same thing happened to me with Virus. I bought it full price, $3.99 I think it was, and he offered it free for a while (if I remember right) and now it's $.99. I even talked to the dev in these forums a couple times. I don't hold it against him, but I'm leery about buying apps right when they come out now. I bet Nanosaur will be one sale real soon. Pangea drops their prices a lot.

8. PaulTag

PaulTag Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Hello from Tag Games

First of all we hope you are enjoying Rock'n'Roll! We know its going to be too much spinning for some players (I know toucharcade readers have stronger stomachs though!) but we have been pleased with most of the reviews that we've received so far. We do value our customers feedback and thoughts on how we can improve Rock'n'Roll in future updates and releases. VegantTNT I have your email in my inbox and I want to publicly thank you for the detailed response you have given, right now we are talking about your control idea internally and it looks like we will enable that as an option in future RnR games. I will reply to you in person today.

The last thing we want to do is turn off future customers through our discounting activity. Right now every developer is fighting for chart placement on the App Store and it is very competitive! It's just the nature of the beast I'm afraid but I'm sure it will settle down. Rock'n'Roll is our first iPhone title and as such we must try a number of different activities around price and promotion to see what works. We missed something on the Lite version and had to resubmit hence we thought the day FREE offer would keep interest until the Lite version launched.

TSP and VegantTNT we'd like to do something a bit different to thank you for your input thus far... we'd like to include you in a future RnR special edition. So if you fancy being immortalized in a forthcoming game could you PM me so we can work something out asap?

We have a number of cool titles in development for iPhone right now so keep checking TouchArcade for news and perhaps the chance to see TNT and VegantTNT starring in the next RnR release!

Cheers
    The guys at Tag Games

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The default motion controls are *terrible*. Maybe it's just me, but they seem completely unintuitive and are very difficult to use (yes, I figured out that you don't roll your iPod touch around, you just tilt left and right slightly - they are still awful.) With touch controls, which should be the default, the game plays fine. So far, though, I don't find the game terribly fun, but I'll give it a little more time.

10. Yes, I agree there. The game doesn't seem to be much fun as it is at the moment, and it's purely down to the control method. I am fine with accelerometer control, but the game sometimes feels unwieldy. You should lose a life from not timing correctly instead of because you are fighting the controls. Other than that, I love the surreal storyline and characters, and the graphics and sound are great.

11. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    True, that... After 2 minutes on accelerometer-controls I switched to touch-controls and found it to be a MUCH more enjoyable experience and a fun game to play.
    The problem with the accelerometer-controls is trying to find the "level" position - if you don't get it you just continue to spin around and around and around.
    With the touch-controls, as soon as you stop sliding your finger, you stop spinning. Simple. :)

12. You know, I didn't even realize there were other control methods till I looked at this thread. It had got to the stage I just removed the app from my Touch it got that silly trying to control it. I have just put the game back on and changed to touch control, and I agree completely that this should indeed be the default setting. maybe I may start having a little more fun with the game now I am not fighting the controls.

13. PaulTag

PaulTag Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Wow! Looks like we got the choice of primary control method TOTALLY wrong! I wonder how many other players are thinking this?

We'll get an update on the App Store asap with the default control method swapped round and also look at tweaking the accelerometer controls as well so that its easier to play.

Thanks for this great feedback.
    Tag Team

14. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    That's a good idea. I was hating the game until I switched the controls. With the tilt control I didn't know what was going on at all. The touch control made much more sense.

15. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    No it's not just you, the default IS terrible.

16. To PaulTag, after an afternoon having a good play at this with the touch control instead of tilt control, this is my conclusion-
    It's gone from a game I hated and removed from my device after a couple of plays, to a game that I actually really like playing now. I am enjoying this game! What a transformation, all due to a change in the control method! I really like everything else about the game- great graphics and sound, funny characters and story, and finding my way around the mazes. Good work!

17. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i felt sick by the third level and had to put it down :(

edit : im going to try the touch control...thanks

18. I haven't felt sick at all playing it yet. I did have one problem once with the background. I was playing a level for a few minutes, and all of a sudden I saw a small fish around my characters head. It was almost still in it's position, so I thought I'd collected a power-up or something. Turned out it was just a fish in the baclground. Fish in the background are fine, but I think the developers need to make sure they are always moving at a certain speed.

19. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    As it turns out, the accelerometer-based controls are what gets you sick. If the developer is still around: could you stop the background from spinning after you clear a level? It's really annoying.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    what I'd like to know is how the game got out the door not only with such horrendously awful accellerometer controls as the default, but in the game at all - is there someone who actually doesn't find them terrible?