Universal Rockabilly Beatdown (By Rumblecade)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 23, 2016.

1. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Iv noticed that the button doesn't actually attack until you LET it go, not when you press it... Maybe that's adding to it ?

2. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    And yea I see what you mean about the 2 attack with high combo m... That is pretty annoying... Oh well

3. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    EXACTLY! Thank you I thought I was going nuts

4. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Yea it's a detriment. It does not help at all, I wonder if that's the point. If so, why should I get punished for keeping a combo?

5. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

#65 Rumblecade, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Whoa, lotta action on the forums past few days. Some brief notes on some of the recent topics:

Power-ups: Additional power-ups or super move variations are always on the table.

Fist rewards: There are 30 rewards with almost a dozen random name sets per, plus a few secret (very difficult) fists that unlock at specific scores. For many of the rewards under 500, it's fun to play to a specific TCP and die just to unlock the fist. Collection should be easy to determine from the Fist Rewards menu under Progress (increments are mostly by 25). Yes we can add new ones tho they would likely be more secret scores.

Double hit combo: This is a few things. Visually its more animation to keep things interesting. Strategically it allows more damage with a trade off in timing. It IS a conscious mix-up, and some people won't like it if they expect a certain level of consistent control. As a mobile arcade game, we aren't holding ourselves to controls at the Final Fight or Street Fighter level, to our detriment, possibly. Personally I never saw it as a punishment and actively frame my play around it, but the bias there is obvious. It is very interesting feedback for us.

Dark Robe boss: This refers to the secret boss that appears on the Catacombs and Boss Rush, a blue-robed skeleton holding a lantern (not the red ones). His detection collision is set to keep you at bay while slowly advancing, tho his hit collision is nothing out of the ordinary, you just need to find your window of attack. Frustrating? Sure, but we can't confirm it's somehow broken? Savvy players can definitely use his tactics to an advantage. We have noted the comments tho and will look at some tweaks.

Punch on button release: Honestly there is some dev blindness here, it never occurred to us this was an issue based on observing people play. We'll look at our options.

PS, for every comment I read on gameplay I hop right into the game and play what's described, doing my best to take off my dev goggles to see where you're coming from. We really appreciate all the discussion!

6. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    I feel like everything is preference EXCePT the punch on release, I don't think that should ever happen in a game unless it's for a specific reason like "charging" a punch or "hold button to run"

7. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Honestly I could deal with all the other nit picks, but punching on release is ridiculous to me. Please fix this. I beg of you! Thanks.

8. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

#68 Rumblecade, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Dev update: Hey TouchArcade! There's a lot going on prepping the next push for Rockabilly Beatdown, and we wanted to give you a quick rundown of what’s in store:

- Android: Mostly a smooth transition but has required a lot of our attention. But currently it runs on device(s) and we’re smoothing out the kinks to get it out on Google Play.
    - Localization: Along with Android, this is what’s taken most of our time. Not the sexiest new feature, but will make the game friendlier for French, Italian, German, and Spanish gamers. More languages to come next round!
    - Free Content: New hero Manny Switchblade, and new unlockable level Flyer Frenzy (for the truly masochistic).
    - IAP Content: New hero Kondo Kazuki, comes with two all-new levels and enemies like out other IAP heroes
    - Misc: some bugs, some tuning, some art touchups. Notable: changed punch button to active on tap instead of release (re: etsy8nine, Mrwubbs)

All goes well we should be pushing this update mid-December.

We’ve also got some iOS promo codes about to expire so catch ‘em while you can!

1 -- FRAW76JA3PAJ // gone
    2 -- TW7F9XNHTNPR // gone
    3 -- XWJE4KNHEFFA // gone
    4 -- WMN49JKWRTHY // gone
    5 -- 7PLM66T7FEK7 // gone

And as usual, follow us on twitter @Rumblecade for bite-sized art and animation updates, or our regular devlog on tumbr. Game on!

9. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    So grabbed this when it was free.

I love the presentation and spritework but what you ultimately have is a very shallow game for most people. Even going for tactics to get high scores doesn't really change much when the gameplay is this basic.

And I suppose that's fine if that's the scope of a cheap and simple game like this, I just wonder what the staying power for a game like this is.

One more thing though,

[​IMG]

Don't so this in your 2d game. Don't put huge foreground objects that obscures enemies. Especially on the winter level these christmas tree things always manages to obscure an enemy and make it so you either get hit or can't judge the distance to throw a punch.

10. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

@Jenohart, admittedly the crux of the game is punching for points, not much else... but we're glad you can find some enjoyment where you can. As for foreground objects, we've said this before that they are totally on purpose to mix you up. Not you personally, of course, just to keep players on their toes. (Winter levels are tuned slightly more difficult as well)

11. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    BIG SHOUTOUT and thanks for this update! The game feels so much better now that the attack happens right when you tap the button. The difference is night and day. I'm buying the iap to support you.

12. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

Thanks, that means a lot to us. Just so you know we specifically made that change for you Mrwubbs and esty8nine after your advice.

13. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

#73 Rumblecade, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Hello TouchArcade! We just pushed the 1.2 update for Rockabilly Beatdown and wanted to let you all know a few things about it. It took us much longer than scheduled and we apologize for that, basically the Android release coupled with other dev stuff was more work than we had planned. But it's out now and has got a ton of improvements, here are a few highlights:

Android! A whole new platform is a pretty big deal for us on this one. There are way, way, way more devices and OS's than we could ever have access to or test on, so if anyone takes issue with performance we do want to hear about it even if our ability to address it is limited. Our experiences with current devices were positive on par with iOS and of course wish the same for you.

New free hero, Manny Switchblade: While he is an unlock (mwahahaha), we found the average time is just 3 or 4 plays, and entirely possible in 1 or 2 if you're so inclined. Manny is a bit speedier hero than others but not as quick to stop from a run, and we find him super fun to play :)

New IAP hero, Kondo Kazuki: This is the big content update for purchase. New hero, new levels, new music, new enemies, new bosses! We love how the pack turned out and Kondo has quickly become a favorite to play. Check out his preview here: Kondo Kazuki Trailer

Spawn update: Basically, more enemies start coming sooner but short breather areas remain between swarms. Spawn patterns are now different between each level, so the more you play you should notice things ramping up sooner. Everything starts over once you loop back to the Zombie Forest.

Level unlocks: two new levels, Flyer Frenzy and Bat Cave. Everyone kept telling us how much they like flying enemies... j/k :) But we still think they are a fun twist.

Localization: English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish menus are now available from the Options menu.

Get a more detailed breakdown of all new features at our devblog post.

Rockabilly Beatdown has grown a lot since release, and we are amazed at all the feedback we've gotten here-- much of which has gone directly into the game. While still a simple arcade runner at heart, we still play it ourselves outside of development and find it to be a fun time killer. As a small dev team we are thrilled to hear about others who play and like the game, and if that includes you consider rating at your respective app store. Punch on!

14. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Wow thanks! That small tweak actually made flyers seem fair now as well, because it's much easier to hit them now. I always liked the game, but now I LOVE it. Best update ever.

15. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

#75 Rumblecade, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Hey TouchArcade, if anyone's browsing this thread, here's some leftover redeem codes. They are going to expire in a week or so (3/30) so be sure to grab them.

:: ANDROID ::

1 -- V5X3NR71FT5ESRSYDW0SSMS
    2 -- 787CAWXW8VEB1LNMR0U4AGH
    3 -- 4G2BEBT66Q0N6ZJKAZQW58Z
    4 -- 7L32ANY6R22Z907P9JAJ1WF
    5 -- F7CB4ZK5JYL8KS1BRNFL9TF // GONE

:: iOS ::

1 -- XAAREF9MX9LP
    2 -- K4HER9AKMH6R //GONE
    3 --TKY6XJNN6JNK //GONE

If you get one of these codes and like the game, consider picking up an in-app purchase hero for even more content. We appreciate your support!

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Thanks! I took F7CB4......... for Android!

17. decript

decript Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    BC, Canada
    This game looks cool. I took the third iOS code. Didn't realize this game was only a dollar though. I feel bad now for taking the code :p

18. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I took the 2nd iOS code--thank you very much!

19. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

#79 Rumblecade, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Rockabilly Beatdown - 1 Year!

One year ago today we released Rockabilly Beatdown for iOS. We've since released two updates and an Android version. We'd like to extend a special thanks to the TouchArcade community for all your feedback and support for this small dev releasing their first game.

For something different than just game codes, here are some HERO IAP for iOS codes. You must HAVE THE GAME in order to make use of these new hero IAP codes. If you aren't playing yet, these are a great excuse to give it a try. And if you are (thanks!) each new hero comes with new content to play with while besting your scores.

KONDO KAZUKI
    1. 4YNEXLEL4RRP
    2. ER93AP33MMK9
    3. 6A9PWR3MM7T6

GOLDIE LUXE
    1. RJMFE6FRP4H4
    2. 7PWH6M7JXY3L
    3. LN7JMW4WY3LW

JENNA VON JETT
    1. F9XE9N7FAEPM
    2. KEWXXJPPMXPL
    3. JT9X47Y9WHET
    Edit: Codes have been claimed or expired.

PS, as for our next game, we keep saying "announcements soon" for a bit longer than what has been "soon." We are in development and there's some things that need to happen behind the scenes that take longer than anticipated. Prototype things, legal things, boring indiedev business things... it's a next level up for us so we've got to cover all the bases. If, however, you've been following us on twitter/tumblr/facebook, some sneak peeks have already been making their way through :)

20. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

#80 Rumblecade, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Rockabilly Beatdown Update 1.3

Hey there Touch Arcade! Rockabilly Beatdown Update 1.3 will release for iOS on October 26th, 2017. Just in time for Halloween, use this as a chance to dive back in and punch up a storm for some new high scores. Or if you’re new to the game, why not check it out? Here are some highlights for this update:

ta_costumeskins_1024.jpg

Limited Edition Hero Skins! You can hit the store page and grab the Monster Mash Pack for some some freaky frankenskins of Kimber and Bruiser. These skins are FREE, but only available for a limited time. However, once you get them they are available instantly and yours to keep forever. iOS users need simply visit the store page and activate the skins to have them appear in the hero carousel.

ta_negazone_play.jpg

New level unlock, the Negazone! It takes some serious punching, but once unlocked you can match fists against our Nega Heroes in this mind bending, starry surrounding. This level is tough as nails with the game’s speediest enemies and a heck of a boss fight. But the extra-high speed of enemies allows you to rack up some serious T.C.P if you can keep on your toes!

Under the hood: Many additions in this build are to support new Apple hardware and stay frosty with iOS 11. We’ve also seen a major update with our dev platform, Unity 2017, and our game has been brought in line with their latest versions to support more updates and content in the future.

High Resolution device support! Our menus and UI have been updated to adapt to all iOS devices, including iPhone X and iPad Pro! If you end up shelling out for the iPhone X with the face scanning camera and it’s on-display notch, Rockabilly Beatdown will not only have sharp, hi-res art but will also accommodate the extra widescreen display.

Expanded localization! We’ve added Portuguese, Russian, and Turkish, which you can select from in the Options Menu. Should players speak any of our included languages and notice a glaring mistake or translation faux pas, you are more than welcome to send a note to rockabilly(at)rumblecade.com and we’ll fix it for future updates.

ta_Kimberstein_cap1b.jpg

Enhanced gameplay FX! Of note will be the new sprite trails for Punchtastic. We’ve also added some sprite trails to the frenemies to make them stand out more (frenemies offer combo bonuses or can instant-trigger Punchtastics).

Bugs! We got rid of some old ones and of course created a whole bunch of new ones. All squashed, we hope!

ANDROID USERS: The Android Update 1.3 is on its way. There are some SDK conflicts between Unity (our dev platform) and Google Play that are being resolved, and we'll push the update as soon as we can. It features everything listed above with one small caveat:

Google Play store does not allow Free In-App-Purchases, so the listing for the hero skins is priced at $0.99 USD. Once we update on Android, users are welcome to email rockabilly(at)rumblecade.com to receive a download code for the new skins while they are available.

Thank you to everyone who's played our game and all the feedback on this forum over the past year and more. Please follow us on Twitter @Rumblecade for cool art and gifs, and stop by our dev tumblr for more. Happy Halloween!