Universal Rockabilly Beatdown (By Rumblecade)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 23, 2016.

1. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Does this have some deep gameplay mechanics or more just a kill time with kind of game ? =]

2. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

Designed as an arcade-style time killer, tho actual strategy is there to be discovered if you are truly going for the highest scores. Otherwise the only thing deep in this game is your hero's fist through a pumpkin.

3. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
  4. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    #44 Mrwubbs, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    I wish the controls were tighter. It's really hard for me to switch directions fast while punching. Also the punch animations seem to lag or something which really messes up my timing. Last thing is the attacks don't have much "weight". In streets of rage a final fight the controls are very responsive and the hits are very satisfying, but in this it's just kinda sluggish. I like the game but could these things be addressed somehow? At least "punchier" sound effects might help?

5. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

#45 Rumblecade, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Would you mind letting us know your device? Have you tried setting the game to 30 FPS under Options/Quality: Low? We don't doubt you but things should be pretty snappy.

-- you should* be able to punch rapidly as long as you are tapping that button, either controlled timing or spamming.
    -- you should be able to switch directions instantly by changing direction before/during your punch has finished followthrough. You can lift and tap or hold/slide over to the other direction during the followthrough frames.
    -- Watch your combos! After 40 your hero has a chance to throw a double-hit. It takes out enemies faster (ex: 2HP enemies with 1 throw) but you need to remain aware of the timing switchup. Each hero has slightly different attack timing, so there's that, too!

These tactics are essential at higher levels of play. Still, we hear you and are always looking at controls to tune for a better experience.

*"should" meaning "how the game is expected to respond"

6. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm on a 6s plus

7. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Also the hit detection feels a bit off to me. Thanks for the reply! Great game despite my bitching.

8. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Alright this game is bs. I tried to get used to the attack timing but the controls are just too sluggish. A game like this needs precise timing, like punch quest or final fight. The Damn flying enemies keep hitting me when I'm prepared for them and hit the button. It just takes way too long for the character to respond. Also those damn double hits are the worst thing about the game! They aren't helpful at all, they just throw off the timing and make me helpless when I'm surrounded, plus the second hit has hardly any range. It seems designed to screw you over. I want to love this game but in its current state it's just pissing me off.

9. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

@Mrwubbs, sorry you're not enjoying it. As a long time player of fighters and beat-em-ups I understand your references and while we are not those games we only wish ours was more fun for you.

Your comments on response are a concern, especially with you rockin' the 6s+, that's not something we've heard or seen yet. Our video of gameplay shows instant punch response, but yes the game mixes things up and hell yes flyers are a bitch-- but not impossible. As devs we expectedly can score very, very high but always want to listen to other experiences.

Please forgive the defense. Not trying to extend any argument, if the game just isn't for you that's totally cool. From the other games you mention you clearly have good taste :)

10. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Bro, no offense was intended at all. Not trying to argue either. I appreciate the responses. But seriously what is the point of the double hits? How do they help at all? Every time it happens it screws me over! Lol

11. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #51 LordShad0wz, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    I'm on an iPhone 6 and I completely disagree and have a completely different experience than you do. I have no problem whatsoever with hit detection. It's spot on. I have no issue with the controls and their responsiveness. I get to a point where I got enemies on both sides and I'm punching back and forth just fine. I have no problem punching the hell out of the birds. I do hate them though.

Maybe there's something up because of your screen size being bigger?

I have a completely different experience. I think the game is a blast. I am almost done with all of the unlocks. I keep killing the 4th boss and then dying. I need to kill 5 in one play to get that boss rush mode unlock grrrrr!!!

Devs I do wish there were different kinds of power ups to mix things up. Maybe different types of punchtastics if you will.

Billy

12. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    You mean to tell me you see no sluggishness in attacks in comparison to punch quest? Also it's funny that I'm having a hard time yet I beat way more than 5 bosses in one try lol. Weird.

13. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Online leaderboards ?

14. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Tap the gamecenter logo

15. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Hey Devs, in a future update could you please add more fist rankings to collect? It's really fun to see new ones pop up at the end!

16. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Mrwubs what's your strats ?? Your high up there sheesh lol, only did 3 runs so far just started, got 350+ kills every run. So what's this about a combo over 40 ? I don't seem to do or get anything special or even do extra dmg. And once a big dude comes I have a hard time NoT getting it from the guys that close in from behind. I will agree the graphics are pretty sweet

17. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    When your combo is 38 or above you start randomly doing 2 pieces lol. They are annoying though because they throw the timing off, and there's no telling when it's going to happen. As far as strategies, I tend to save my punchtastics for when I see an enemy glowing purple, take em out with the punchtastic, then build up the meter again with the times ten multiplier. I also might throw a punchtastic when the damn birds appear because f&ck the birds.

18. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I got the achievement now :p Don't equate my sucking as having a hard time with the buttons as you say you are having.

And I just played punch quest and I don't see your point. They both seem fine to me.

I do love punch quest. I can't wait for Punch Quest 2.

But this game is not BS as you say.

Billy

19. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    I can't see how you don't see my my point, they're like night and day, but whatever. Wait, is punch quest 2 confirmed???

20. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Argh! Yo face that punk ass boss on the dungeon level with the lantern and tell me the collision detection ain't some bullsh%t!!!! F!ck!!!! Sorry but I'm sick of this crap.