Rock.Paper.Scissors. Powered by UDK

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by andrei313, Feb 28, 2011.

1. andrei313

andrei313 Member

#1 andrei313, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

Play the classic Rock-Paper-Scissors game against the powerful Unreal Development Kit (UDK).
    The game tracks your game statistics (wins, rounds and much more).
    Free to play. A price you can't beat!
    Game Center support coming soon with multiplayer, achievements and leaderboards!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPad. Requires iOS 3.2 or later.

This is my first game and it is entirely done using just the menu capabilities of the Unreal Development Kit.

Follow the official Rock.Paper.Scissors. website for news and updates!

Kind regards,

Andrei

2. Very interesting use of the UDK... o_O

3. andrei313

andrei313 Member

It does an awesome job when it comes to 3D games but it can do simple 2D games as well.

4. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    You should've included multiplayer from the start, I would not mind waiting. Nevertheless, it is a classic game :p

5. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Ummm... for the great price of free?? Are you going to bump it up to 0.99 after some updates, or iap?

6. I wouldn't know anything about that, but the game definitely sounds interesting. Good luck with submission!

7. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Thats not an excuse, I would gladly pay up to 1.99 for GC multiplayer.

8. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    y r u using UDK for this...............wasted potential

9. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    The UDK is a 3D game engine and related software, not an AI. I couldn't possibly think of a reason to do this using UDK versus Cocos2D. It's only to cash in the Unreal engine name. And running the engine as interpreted code is only going to waste processing power.

10. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    I agree fully with andrei313! Why the hell should I NOT use an engine that I fully mastered and that makes my life as a developer much, much easier? Why messing with low level, Objective-C and Cocos2D?
    I have no experience with the UDK but with Unity3D. Personally I'm thankfull that I can do all my games - no matter if 2D or 3D - with this single engine. This saves me a lot of time and money. In the end this is a business decision. Learning Cocos2D and Objective-C costs a lot of time...and therefore money.

By the way, I know that Andrei is a master everything 3D related. So I'm sure there will come other games backed up by the UDK and some very, very nice 3D visuals. My (unfortunally now abandoned) game "Kittys Adventure" is a Unity 3D game using his 3d environments (beside the cats it's all his work). And he did a great job.

11. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Yeah UDK was the only reasons I clicked on the thread. It is going to waste valuable RAM and take away second and first generation devices.

12. andrei313

andrei313 Member

Without GameCenter (leaderboards, achievements and multiplayer) the game will be free.
    Once I add these essential features for a game like this I might bump it up to 0.99 so be sure to grab a copy once it hits the App Store and it's free :)

I'm not saying that this is the best use of the Unreal Development Kit but before I start working on my next Gears of War like game I going to improve my skills and knowladge of this engine by making simple/manageable games that can be done by a single person in a short timeframe.
    I don't want to go offtopic but if anyone is interested in a more complex game that I'm doing using UDK you should keep an eye on Newton vs the Lazynots (Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnymCd9gDeU). It's already running on my iPod Touch but needs a little more work before I can post it here.

I added a video in my first post of Rock.Paper.Scissors. runngin on my iPod Touch 4G.

Kind regards,

Andrei

13. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Will post impressions soon

14. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    #15 JoeyLP, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011