iPad Robo

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Caltsar, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Caltsar

Caltsar Active Member

Several hours back I stumbled across Robo in the app store, and looking here at touch arcade's new games section it's very new. Seeing as no one has mentioned it yet, I figured I'd pop in to mention that I've been playing it almost nonstop, and it's a well thought out puzzle game. You play a Robot and push around boulders, bombs, mirrors and laser guns to clear a path to the exit. There's an excellent tutorial to quickly walk you through the various moves you can make, and the game is a pretty decent challenge.

2. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Looks pretty interesting. What's the variability like for the levels? It looks like you're timed as well, is that right? And do you die when crossing the lasers, it looks like the robot is in one of the screenshots.

3. Caltsar

Caltsar Active Member

The levels have quite a bit of variability. I haven't run across too many puzzles that have very similar solutions yet. If you cross the lasers you do die (you also die if a bomb explodes next to you). You aren't timed, however, the time and number of moves it takes to complete a level are recorded in case you want to go back and try to minimize both numbers.

I've already been going back to play some of the levels again to try and improve my time :)

4. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Yikes --hate to say this but this sounds like another self-promotion

might give the game a try...but wait a second why would anybody be playing this at all when Rolando has come out ..... I am getting parranoid again!

5. Caltsar

Caltsar Active Member

No self promotion, just not very active on these boards :p

6. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    good to know ---I will give this a shot ---seems fun. Read all the reviews and its seems to have done very well on other mobiles.

7. This review scared me sounds like there needs to be an undo button. Alio the Woodcutter would blow without an undo button.

http://mytreo.net/software-reviews/herocrafts-robo/

8. Caltsar

Caltsar Active Member

there is an undo button, but it only allows you to undo one step. I personally have found situations where I've needed more than one step to undo, but the game is still fun besides that

9. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Average number of steps per level?

What's the average number of steps required to complete a level? I'm asking because if the average number is 100 steps then only being able to undo one step would be a major pain if you needed to go back 10 or 20 steps. You'd still have play through potentially 80 steps to get back to where you needed to be in the level. But being able to undo only one step is more playable if levels take an average of 10 or so steps.

10. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    This just dropped to 99 cents. I would've posted a new topic but it's nice having peoples impressions of the game here so they know what they're buying. I'm gonna give it a shot.

11. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I haven't had the chance to play this on the iPhone yet, but the Pocket PC version was a blast. The addition of bombs and the need to actually destroy some lasers made this a nice change of pace from most mirrors games. Not to mention the fact that the graphics are some of the best Herocraft has produced to date, and they even went through the trouble of adding themes to the levels, which means you don't have the same boring atmosphere that you find in a lot of puzzle games. This is a great deal for 99 cents (or really even for the 2.99 regular price), even without multiple undos.

12. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    hmmm . . . graphics don't appeal to me, but it being an environmental puzzle game and being made by Ukrainians (I grew up there (TCK)), i think i will end up buying it . . .

13. snow_mani

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    My previous question about the impact of only being able to undo one step was never answered. So I'll ask it again. If you have this puzzle game, what is the impact of the lack of undo beyond one step? Do levels require only a few steps to complete or tens or hundreds? Is the lack of an undo beyond one step a major pain in the backside?

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Unfortunately, the answer to that is that sometimes yes, it can be a pain to have to retrace your steps. Each puzzle is different, but certainly as you get farther into the game the puzzles get more complex and require more steps. However, while it's not always the case, there are times that actions are reversible even without an undo. It all depends on the level.

15. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    It is now on sale for .99. Must....resist....hitting.........BUY BUTTON!!!

16. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    I have this game and the last update gives you multiple undo steps

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Well there you go! When I reviewed this on the Pocket PC there wasn't even one undo, so now there's no reason not to buy :)

18. snow_mani

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks! :)

I went to buy this and I noticed that there is now a lite version. And the description mentions unlimited move undos.

Robo lite