Universal Road Not Taken (By Spry Fox)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    To Danc/dev.

The 'white screen' bug when you bump the orchestra is just in the Italian version.
    Works fine (credits rolling) if I switch to English language.

As a side note....year 6!!!!
    Those 'teleport' blue fires were a game changer.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I haven't found energy to be an issue at all. I'm talking more about stuff like setting an entire area on fire or accidentally luring a goat over to eat something I needed.

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Which year are you on?
    I'm on year 8 now, I discovered almost all recipes already (tough they aren't THAT important).
    I found I die exclusively because I run out of energy (or monsters deplete my energy) but now I've learnt to create fireplaces in every room.
    If something eat something you need, you will find it in another room, or at least this was my experience.
    Never put a room on fire...how do you do that?

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    For Danc.

After year 7 when I die the game freezes on the 'you died because...' Screen.
    If I exit the game and reload, I see the tappable grave and I can continue (from house).

When you die because of those nasty Cthulhu tentacles, the game leaves blank the name of the monster.

Finally (not sure) I got 3 slots for items. I *think* it was a gift from the mayor, but the item (stored in throphies room) has disappeared somehow.

5. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    How many years are there?

6. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    What he said #

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    15 years I think.
    I'm playing 'normal' and so far the curve was perfect.
    Year 8 is providing quite a challenge now.

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    is this game replayable? ie finishing it and making a "different" character, that plays differently, or makes different choices thus resulting in new outcomes? (beyond choosing someone different to marry from what i read).

9. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Three or four.

Wish I could tell you. No clue.

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well I didn't do it myself but happen to enter a 'scripted' room with fire.
    I think if you throw a fireplace towards wood it gets on fire and then fire spreads.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Finally Year 9!!!!

Now it's getting pretty intense!!!
    What a gem!

A hint...be sure to talk to everyone (including IN THE FOREST)...the charms are essential imho!!!
    The ones that gives you -1 kid to save are literally a life saver!!!
    Also, ban items whenever you can!!!

12. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    For those who've played the game - what would you compare it to? If you had to summarize the gameplay, how would you?

13. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Tough to do. It's really unique. It's kind of like triple town and nightmare cooperative had a spooky baby that no one talks about. And that isn't really close.

14. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    How do you eat the food in your inventory?

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    It's difficult...Road not Taken is a beast on its own, highly original.
    It's a mix between The nightmare cooperative, Triple Town, a match 3 game, Sokoban, a bit of Zelda and a bit of Year Walk.
    Seems absurd, but it really works.

The first 4 levels are the intro ones...you can walk around without worrying too much and you can brute force levels...just remove everything, try to be safe, and throw the kids towards their mums.
    After you hit level 5, things get much more puzzley.(?)
    You have to move items like in Sokoban, but the order is super important because items when coupled, tripled or mixed can transform in other items, change, become something good or (usually) something bad.
    And every level add new items.
    So you will try various combinations....and you still have some margin till level 8-10 when things are really awesome IMHO and the puzzles really open up.
    You will then move items between rooms, staring at rooms a lot because every step can be life or death and you have to be very conservative with energy.

On top of this there are special hand crafted rooms and then there is the town meta game, where you can gift various characters with your findings in the forests becoming friends, lovers, haters, etc...and this will reward you with special items that persist even when you die and are super important...they fundamentally change the approach to every run, making it easier, harder, different...etc...
    You can even ban certain items from future runs.

And finally, there is a spooky story that is told in bits and pieces.

I just hit level 10 and last two years (levels) were the best.

And sadly (I can see Danc smiling) for the very first time I had to left behind a kid....I couldn't solve for the life of me the 'special room' and with 10 energy left, I didn't want to risk (the forest was already full with dark spirits and a ton of other nasty things).

Hope it helps!!!

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    You don't...those are items to exchange with the town characters to be friends.
    You can eat only items you find or produce in the forest (apples, various animals, etc...) as far as I know.

BTW I forgot,....THE SPRY FOX IS AWESOME!!!!

17. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Ah ok well at least now I know what to do with it. That's a pretty neat twist that I wasn't even aware of

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Nice update that correct almost everything I had (no more blank screen on credits and localizations seems correct now).

I still have a problem tough (or two, maybe correlated).

I'm on year 10 and I'm pretty sure I had 3 trophies in my bedroom, last one granted me using 3 items...since some days I do not have it anymore...am I supposed to have it at year 10? I have just 2 now, and the Mayor always says the same thing, no more gifts.
    Not sure if related...but since then whenever I die the game hangs on the gravestone recap screen and eventually crash (you can see the upper left icon pulsating normally then going super slow...looks like a memory leak).
    If I reload (or if I exit and reload) I see the shining temple screen and I can go on normally.
    This happens since year 5 or 6.

Loading is super fast so it's no biggie, but...

Let me know if I can check something else to help you solve this bug.

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Thanks Pitta for the great explanation. You just gave this dev another sale :)

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Cool!
    I really hope you will like it as I do, I'm in love with the game!!!