Universal Road Not Taken (By Spry Fox)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 27, 2016.

1. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    This looks good, but I have an iPad mini. Is it really that intense of a game that the developers have to limit the devices so drastically?

2. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    The description at the top of the page says SD iPhone only.
    So does it play on a x2 screen on an iPad?
    My iPad Pro big is very sad if that's the case :(

3. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    No it doesn't play on a x2 screen on iPad. It's a universal build. I don't know if is optimized for an iPad Pro ("big version") but on on "normal" iPads like Air, Air2 etc is fantastic.

4. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Hate it when people on TouchArcade rate a game poorly but then don't explain. As it seems someone here has done. :/

5. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    The dev has posted here that there is a casual mode which sounds good. Is it substantially easier than the normal mode. I've read reviews that it is a very challenging game. I love the look and mode of the game but I am not a massive fan of complex puzzlers :)

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    In the last hour I just lost myself in the gorgeous and spooky forests of Road not Taken.
    I wasn't sure what to expect but I was blown away.

Something is happening in that forest, and I'll discover what.

It's a mix of Nightmare Cooperative, Triple Town and Year Walk.
    Looks and sounds amazing too.
    A bit puzzle game, a bit crafting game, a bit adventure.

Loving it so far, can't wait to discover more secrets.

7. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Are you playing it on Normal or Hardcore mode?

8. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    I think you mean Easy or Normal mode hehe

9. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I just bought the game but how do you change the settings? I want to play casual mode but I can't find difficulty settings in options.

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Actually I do not know, but I gloriously died at year 4.
    When I start a quest/year....the little guy at the entrance forest says NORMAL (and tutorial before that, and normal or worse or something like that last year).
    I do not see anything relevant in the options, I do not know if you can choose it later.

BTW....don't be fooled by the cuteness...the game really picks up on year 3-4....with TONS of new things to check, do, pay attention to etc.
    So far I'm having a total blast playing.
    Too bad I didn't save after I acquired like 10 items (that help a lot)...but maybe it's better so.

I found two bugs, is the dev here or where I can send feedback?
    One is very specific for the Italian translation (which is very good, but many sentences have brackets like /SENTENCE/), the second one always happens when I bump in the orchestra in the town...I get a white screen (like when you see the cutscenes) but nothing happens.
    Only way I can go on is to exit and kick out of memory the app.
    The game cleverly saves at every turn, so no biggie.

Besides the lack of iCloud sync (I would really like to see at the very least the book synced between devices) I'm enjoying this one A TON.
    Playing now on iPhone 6S to have the game always with me, plays like a charm. (It's glorious on iPad too of course).

11. Danc

Danc Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Appreciate the bug reports! Recorded.

'Normal' mode is the easy mode. Hard mode unlocks in a later year and can be accessed via one of the villagers at the forest entrance.

Curious how the difficulty feels. We made it a lot easier, but I get the feeling that it will never exactly be trivial. On normal mode, it should save your current year and items even when you die so there shouldn't be a penalty to retrying a year.

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Ah! That's why I'm finding all my 10 items in the house then!!!
    LOL I'm playing easy then?
    Year 4 is brutal!!!

The game is amazing, congrats!!!
    I have the feeling (or I hope) there is some story to uncover here...all those spirits...the ghost doll...amazing atmosphere.
    Gameplay is great so far.
    Sometimes I just try combinations to see what happens (LOL at diabolicus rabbit) but now the game really put my brains on fire, trying to efficiently move the right items to the right places.
    Animations, graphics and sounds are SO SLICK.

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just died at year 4 with 6 out of 7 kids saved.
    DAMN!!!!

I hate the moles....when you throw them they go under other items all the way towards the walls....and I have to spend a ton of energy to drag them around to open last door.

This game is amazing.

14. Danc

Danc Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Don't forget you can finish years and advance by rescuing only half the kids.

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I couldn't never watch those mothers in their eyes doing so tough.
    So no :)

(Well..maybe, we will see).

Still trying to 'solve' year four and that damn huge bear head.
    BTW when I start a year now the guy at the start says: incredibly difficult....did I press the wrong button?
    After a while some sort of nasty spirits come out, trying to figure out how to avoid those.
    Also...I'm bringing around the 'doll' that apparently attract a ghost.
    Seems important.

Anyway, this game is amazing.

16. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Liking this so far, but a significant interface issue, it is very easy to accidentally give things to villagers because taps way outside the dialogue box register as taps to give them things.

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    For the ones interested, hard mode unlocks at year 5.

18. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    After further play, I don't know about the difficulty, but the number of new things that start happening without getting introduced in any way and the ease with which you can screw yourself over is making this rather frustrating. I don't even have a clue what I'm supposed to be doing half the time. And I know that figuring out how things work and what they do is a major point of the game, but it's too much, without enough structure. And too many ways for things to go wrong with no clue how to prevent them or undo the damage. It isn't a question of difficulty, but of feeling like I don't have nearly enough information. Things disappear and I have no idea why or if it is good or bad that it happened.

Also, the Book of Secrets is another source of frustration. For instance, it shows a number so you can see there's something new. Great, but then you open the book and there's no indication of where the new thing is, so I'm tapping things aimlessly hoping I stumble across it.

I'm sure that with enough time and patience I could figure it all out, and I'm sure there's a really cool experience underneath it all, but I'm rapidly approaching the point of not caring.

Tl;dr could use a bit more handholding to explain concepts

19. That's exactly how I felt (the book of secrets, too) and it's why it hasn't been pulling me back in.

I don't mind figuring things out for myself as long as I don't feel like I'm being punished for screwing up before I understand how things work.

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm only at year 5, but I found very difficult to screw yourself.
    Remember you can always teleport back to the mayor if you get blocked or something.
    And if you are short of a specific item....like the wolf ate last deer to open a door...they reappear elsewhere.

The real problem is energy, so after a while you start to move items efficiently, building fireplaces, creating food...and there the game really picks up.
    Generally after a while you know what to do, but doing it is the difficult part.
    And then...those nasty spirits appear....

A marker in the book to highlight new unread combo would be really appreciated tough.

I like the fact the game game is an adventure till the point when you have to move certain items to open door of 'free' the kids, then it becomes a real puzzle.
    Also, the loot meta game in the town is pretty important, some items make the game much easier.

Too bad I don't remember anymore how I activated the third slot, I'm back with 2 now and I can't recall for the life of me what I did to open it up.