Universal Rival Stars Basketball (by PikPok)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 22, 2014.

1. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Another question, i came across a page to inform me to be a "VIP" where there is cloud save, more friend invite and such. I accepted and it sort of link to Facebook. I went to my iPhone setting and iCloud. Didn't see any saved file or such. Is the iCloud save rolled out or not?
    I also can't find any button to upload the current progress to the game. So is the game tied to Facebook or iCloud or both or? It's confusing. So can I safety delete this game and reinstall and get back the same progress? Or does backing this up to iTunes Save the progress. Going change to iPhone 6 soon, so I really need to know how to backup this. Please advice many thanks.

2. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Your profile/progress is saved to our PikPokPlus cloud service, not iCloud.

By connecting with Facebook, the game creates a profile on our servers. Logging into other devices (including Android) with that same Facebook account should pull over all relevant profile data. The game saves automatically after key moments like purchases, after completing a multiplayer round, etc.

Hope that answers your question :)

3. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Appreciate the developer's participation, and would like to express thanks for many great games, but yeah. Pay model/timers sadden and disappoint me as a fan of your dev team. I know the "at work" and "after work" responses to that feedback would probably be greatly different from each other, and I get it, I've seen the profit margin graph charts for FTP games, but it just sucks that it kinda seems like the "continental drift" between core gamers and devs is fully underway, and I for one will be wiping a tear when the fingertips touch for the last time. I hope this isn't the future of mobile gaming, but time will tell. If it is, that sure was one hell of short Golden Age.

4. kenken11

Sep 29, 2012
    Yes, thanks for the reply. But where is that connect to Facebook button where u can retrieve the previous profile if I happen to Change device now?

5. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    We'd be happy to participate in a discussion on business models in the developer forum if somebody wants to start that thread. Just trying to keep this thread focused on the game itself rather than entering a higher level philosophical debate :)

We appreciate any feedback though, and we definitely take any comments we have received on board as we continue to work on new and existing games.

6. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    #27 PikPok, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    When you start the game on a new device, there should be a "Restore Profile" button at the bottom of the first screen that has the Rival Stars logo and "Tap to Play" on it.

You must select Restore Profile from that screen on the first play on the new device if you want to recover your profile. If you miss it, you should delete then reinstall the app for it to give you the option again.

If you skipped the "VIP" popup on your current install, then play a few more matches and you should get it again.

7. kenken11

Sep 29, 2012
    Hi there, the game crashes again after my first evolution of player. Right after showing the player from 1 sliver star to 2 silver star, the game crashed. Wow, why do this game keep crashing?

8. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Sorry for the continued issues. But thanks for the heads up. Gives us the info we need to look into it further.

We already have an update in the works that will resolve new problems which have been identified. Hopefully we can get that out to you quickly.

9. kenken11

Sep 29, 2012
    The crash happen right after I evolve a player from 1 star to 2 star. But the player do get evolved and no rollback. In this case, nothing was lost other then logging back in.

10. jshwntr

jshwntr Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Great game, PikPok! I wish there was more of the actual basketball similar to Legends and less watching cards fight each other (can we skip this please?). I'm not sure this is helpful but I went to pass the ball and the game crashed (iPhone 5 normal).

11. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    An earlier version of the game played out a lot more like Flick Kick Football Legends, but we actually felt it didn't feel enough like a basketball match including scores not getting anywhere close to what you'd expect in a real world basketball game. Additionally, the nature of basketball didn't quite lend itself to the same sort of skills implementation as in Football Legends.

The current design was a compromise to be able to retain different players with different stats/skills, getting scores reminiscent of real world basketball, while still have great interactive moments (of which you can have up to 4 in a game, and we can play with the setting on that if universally people want more).

I think if we did an ice hockey game, it would end up closer to Football Legends in terms of the whole match playing out "on the ice" given the nature of hockey.

Also, you can speed up the card fight by touching the backboard area. The simulation will run a lot faster from then on :)

Hmmm thanks. We had a problem similar to that earlier in the day which we fixed by changing a server setting. If you were offline at the time or booted the app offline, then try restarting the app when you are online and you should get the fixed configuration.

If you still have a problem in the power plays then we obviously have more work to do there :/

12. templaterr

templaterr New Member

Oct 24, 2014
    So I seem to have found a problem.

I bought 2 of the variety packs but both times I didn't get a card pack to open. Can PikPok look into this?

13. kenken11

Sep 29, 2012
    I finished beach zone. Is that the only zone now in campaign mode? So now just tournament only for me to play?

14. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    We have been able to replicate that. While you didn't get the animation, you should have the cards in your deck still if you go to the Sell screen in the Card Management menu.

The Campaign mode is designed to essentially be an elongated tutorial and training for Tournament play, so switching over to that is the idea.

However, the campaign will be extended to further zones and we'll be adding other modes in future updates :)

15. jshwntr

jshwntr Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Ice Hockey! Please do Ice Hockey! I'm a big Legends fan (one of 3 games I play on a regular basis). Ice Hockey (or Hockey as we call it :) would be terrific. What you're saying makes sense about the play of Basketball and how it wouldn't fit perfectly in Legends style.

16. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Heh, after Football Legends launched last November to great success, we were looking at the next sport to target within weeks. Hockey and Basketball seemed like the obvious next moves gameplay wise, and we did some design and prototype work but ultimately at the time decided the basketball market was bigger.

Depending on how Rival Stars Basketball pans out (and so far the numbers are looking very good), a hockey game will get considered again.

17. Svad

Svad New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    #38 Svad, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Hey PikPok, I really enjoy your game. However, I've been experiencing the aforementioned power play crash (only when playing offline btw).

I'd like to report another bug:
    Since yesterday late afternoon (European time), I can't seem to enter the tournament. It justs shows the loading screen forever right after you push the tournament icon in the "where shall we play?" menu.

Assuming I am not the only one, this would need to be fixed extra quickly since the campaign is really short so far and many players must be left with only the tournament to play.

Thanks for reading.

18. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    #39 Mess, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Really enjoying this game! Played for over an hour without any timers hitting me (they just did, hence the post!) i bought the starter pack after about 15 minutes as I think this is definitely worth at least a buck.

Liking the look of the tournament prizes, although as i guess it is with all these types of tournaments (see Spider-Man runner from Gameloft) the winners of the top prizes end up with a squad that means they win the next tournament and so on, meaning those that join later on will find it hard to work their way up the leaderboard.
    Don't know how you could fix that though...

Edit- Just gone back to it, and I think the timers are a tad long, basically if you time out it will take at least 25 minutes before you can play again. And that next game will wipe you out again, unless you manage to rank up...

On the whole though this game is sitting nicely in my current gaming lineup :)

19. kenken11

Sep 29, 2012
    Just a suggestion, football legend is great but the players interface are of the older era. It will be great if the next game will be with modern football player interface.

Football market is still the largest so I guess it's still the most profitable.