iPad Risk like games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by komquat, Jan 9, 2009.

1. komquat

komquat Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Quality Assurance
    Upper Michigan
    I have searched and could not find anything on this topic, so sorry if this is a double post.

Are there any games out there that are like the board game RISK?

Thanks all

2. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

Lux Touch and Lux Deluxe

3. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Strategery is the most risk like game I have seen.

Galcon (lite) is also risk-like, although it is not turn based.

4. mek

mek Well-Known Member

yeah i would recommend Lux Dlx, although people complain its a lil bit slow, the next update should fix it, you have unlimited maps that you can download

Strategery is fun, but i am waiting for its "awesomeness"..Im comparing it to dice wars and its just not cutting it, but the game is fun

and galcon, although not completly risk-ey ..it is a lot of fun, its more of a RTS 3 minute game type of domination..but fun

5. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I don't really get the difference between Strategery and Dicewars. I mean I know you can have a greater amount of dice per sector in wars, but is that all?

6. mek

mek Well-Known Member

well there is my personal opinion, where i like dice wars better than Strategery

there is the greater amount of dice, which does change the strategy quite a bit...in dice wars you can actually build defenses and offensives where in Strategery it just seems to be random and lil nit picking at your territory, maybe its the AI

I do like Strategery, but if i had a choice...I would own both of them, and prob. play dice wars a lil more...
    unless the Promised Awesomeness in an update for Strategery just changes everything

7. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Risk is definately one of my favorite games - I bought LUX DLX (there are TONS of maps to choose from, including the original world map that most Risk users are used to playing).

I also bought Strategery, which I love as well - this is a very simple pick up and play game, and I actually find myself playing it more than most of my other apps.

8. Wulfsige

Wulfsige Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    I bought LUX DLX knowing about the faults. I felt the need to support the company that made the game I play so much, LUX touch. Once they fix LUX DLX a bit it will easily be the game I play the most.

9. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    what about vConqr? any good?

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I've never really played Risk, but I like the concept a lot.

Is Lux DLX worth getting now? I heard it lags a lot, but they claim they're fixing that.

11. dboeren

dboeren Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I'd really like to see some conquering games with more strategy than just "roll dice, hope you get enough 6's" kind of stuff. Yes, there needs to be a random factor, but can't there also be some ways for me to plan my attack and use my force more intelligently than just deciding how many identical featureless armies go into each roll? Can't there be a variety of units with different abilities, so that I can go for good matchups or different ways to use their powers together in combos?

Is there anything like that out there or under development that we know about?

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Well, there's no doubt Lux DLX is better than vConqr, but remember that vConqr is less than half the price.

PS I'm beta testing the next update that should be out soon. The developer asked me to email him back and I'll probably do that later today when I have more time. I'll be sure to let you know what I think about it.

To be honest, I think vConqr is better though. It's only $3 and the update is going to improve it a lot.

Also, I really like Strategery. Simple but the graphics make it look very nice and professional. Very fun game and definitely worth a dollar. :)

13. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Honestly, Ive never experienced a huge lag while playing, but I tend to play the smaller maps, so that might have something to do with it

I really like vconqr as well

14. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    That is very true. A lot of the smaller maps play really well in Lux Dlx. Only the huge maps have a lag problem. I have the Lux desktop game and i know that all the available Lux Dlx maps are directly ported from the desktop game. iPhone still cannot compare to the average desktop these days in terms of raw processing power, so no wonder the large maps moved from the desktop game is laggy on the iphone. They could probably fix it easily by simplifying the large maps and everything would run fast like the smaller maps.

There are also a number of different A.I. to choose from in Lux Dlx and they are better than the one in Lux Touch.

A.I. aside, the biggest plus for me in Lux Dlx is the sheer number of maps you get for free after you purchase the game. The replayability of the game is nothing short of fantastic.

15. mek

mek Well-Known Member

#15 mek, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    you probably would enjoy Axis and Allies, not that crappy RTS version that came out, but the turn based one based off the board game

its hard to find, but here is its description

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_%26_Allies_(1998_video_game)

16. dboeren

dboeren Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Hmm, did a search for "axis" in the appstore but no hits. Do you mean this is something coming out later, or just referring to the original boardgame version?

I play a variety of miniatures wargames (Warmachine, Infinity, Monsterpocalypse) so that's sort of what I'm probably looking for. Even simpler more boardgamish stuff like Memoir 44 would be a welcome addition.

17. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Okay, I'm sold on Lux Dlx. I'm downloading it now.:)

18. mek

mek Well-Known Member

oh sorry, yeah its not on the iphone, but if you want an amazing strategy risk style game..this is it..if you can find it still..look for the 1998 game, it may be oldware by now..

but as for the iphone, i think the one with the most replayability is lux dlx, for the amount of maps and scenarios it has

19. komquat

komquat Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Quality Assurance
    Upper Michigan
    The new version of vconqr or LUX DLX?

I am not sure which one I should get, any of them have WIFI (local, or internet?)

20. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I meant the latest version of vConqr, sorry.

I'll give my thoughts on the update later.