Universal Riptide GP2 - (by Vector Unit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I can't say for this game (having not played), but if stunts were pulled off like in Riptide 1, perhaps the different buttons could represent different swiping motions. (Like press two at a time to set off a stunt)

2. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    So, I was wondering, is this game very IAP heavy? I watched the AppSpy review, and according to them, without sufficient grinding, the Ai can beat you easily in later races.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just keep working on getting 3 stars (finish the races, dont restart) and you'll be surprised at how much you've amassed for upgrades or a new jetski.

Thing is, in addition to the upgrades to your rides, you gain experience and upgrade your skills RPG-style. These upgrades range from learning better stunts, to improving some nitpicky but significant details that improve your game overall.

I like appspy reviews, but they have tons to review and I dont think they have a lot of time put in into these games and just call it grind or IAP, which i seriously think it isnt.

Im pretty sure appspy is also going to say the same (if they havent yet, i dont know) to Asphalt 7, and probably same with A8.

Bottomline, IAP is definitely not required to progress. You'll need to replay some key races to get 3 stars, and that is part of the experience.

You cant really expect to win first place in EVERY race and get upgrades in between races just like that.

4. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hmm... never thought of that... But that would change the experience though. I guess iCade on its own is an experience.

Dear Santa, i've been a good boy (most of the time) and i want an icade core, with an iphone 5 in it.

5. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks for the explanation! I am a lot more interested now.

6. sanj

sanj New Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Game Impressions

Fun game, if a little lacking in content. Without any IAP, I blew through the career mode amassing 3 stars for every single event and a fully upgraded Manta (the best hydrojet) in about 3 hours of continuous gameplay. Nothing is too challenging in this game. I struggled at first with the stunt events (the key is to bust the biggest stunt you can for every jump, and don't repeat the same stunt if you can avoid it), and there was one elimination event in the last "ultimate" cup that I had to repeat probably 8 times before I got 3 stars. Other than that I generally got 3 stars on my first or second attempt of each event, and I'm not particularly good at racing games.

The multiplayer is desolate. In the rare instance that I get queued up, I end up with some rookie on a Stingray (the starting hydrojet).

Overall, it's a fun racing diversion, and the graphics are superb, but it's too lacking in replay value at the moment to keep me coming back after finishing career mode.

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Riptide GP2 was successfully nominated to be included in Game of the Week voting on Touch Arcade forums. Voting occurs at the link below. Developers may not vote for their own game. New user votes subject to review.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2917013

8. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    So, some users were saying they got maxed out graphics on iPhone 5. i wonder how they did it cuz for me shader details are capped at medium and i can't change physical wakes + shadow detail. It's both grayed out and off by default.

It's a great game, tho.

9. deadcandance

deadcandance Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2013
    This is how u do a water racing game. Awesome. Great physics look forward to updates. And online us nice addition. Ext betterctfwn first.

10. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    How good is the online?

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
  12. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013

Actually restarting wont lose the in-game currency you earned. This is how I bought the Manta in 3 days

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Annoying how they removed the shadows from the iOS version, must again be a deal with nVidia.

Other than that, great little racer. Scratches the itch until A8 arrives.

14. OutsideTheCube

Sep 8, 2011

Don't. Use. Turbo.

Seriously, makes the later stunt challenges much easier. And having one of the three x8 stunts helps out a lot.

15. BulkSlash

BulkSlash Active Member

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I don't think I have enough high scoring stunts to beat the challenge. For most of the stunt challenges I definitely agree boosting doesn't help, but on Countdown without boosting I can hit 7 jumps, with boosting I can just about make 8 jumps if I have good landings.

However the trouble is I only have 5 stunts at the 6x level and the rest are all 4x or lower, which means if I hit 8 ramps I can score 5x250 and then 3x200 which is only 1850, leaving me 50 points short. :(

If only I'd not bought Boost 3 and 4 and bought some more stunts instead before I hit the level cap!

16. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Just got this game and my first impression is
    AWESOME!!!
    Why didn't I get this before.A great game in so small size.Havent gotten too much in the game but so far amazing!
    One weird thing was what's coming?
    Really amazing!!!

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Exactly what it does for me right now. It's my go-to racer til A8 hits.

18. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    What's that redeem code?
    Does anybody know what's it for and what's the code??

19. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    I got one of the codes and totally forgot to post last week.

Love the game, it's a great deal at $2.99. Would really kill for Hydro Thunder on iOS.

Few comments.

Would like to be able to move the turbo/boost button down. On ipad it's too high up.

I did have a hard time with tricks that take 2 up/down movements, often only pulling off the trick that required 1 swipe. I'm getting better, but it isn't as easy as I'd hoped.

It's hard at first. not much room for error until you upgrade and play a while.

Pretty amazing visuals and I love how the other vehicles create wake.

Great course design.

For $2.99 its still a great real game experience.

20. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Would it be possible have players join multiplayer games from race to race? Right now games don't last very long because as people leave there is no one to replace them.