Universal Riptide GP2 - (by Vector Unit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 24, 2013.

1. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Didn't view the trailer. The description text didn't mention tracks tho.

2. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Wow! Just played tutorial, one race, and visited the upgrade and paint shop. This game does so much right. I love the water on the windshield and how you can design colors in a very detailed manner for your vehicle - and at no cost of in-game currency.

3. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I havent had a game bring a smile to my face like this just did in a while! Lol fun indeed.

4. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    #44 ssahnan, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    It's pretty, can't believe the file size. Has extensive advanced graphical toggles to alter performance much like a pc game. On a iPhone 5, it was maxed out, no fps dips.

Each watercraft has various ratings bars for speed, boost, acceleration, and handling but your craft hasn't maxed out its bars. Money earned thru out game can be used to edge closer to maxing out whatever your particular craft's rating bars max out at.

I did one round of upgrades for each parameter(played first race 4 times) and then as I did the next three races in the first career tourney, I still found it challenging to stay/finish with 1st place. Really curious how difficult game gets as you progress further. It might be slanted towards purchasing a better craft fairly quickly and upgrading it.

Icloud sync works well, just switched to my ipad4. Jeez it looks good on that. Love my iphone 5 but just can't beat the visuals on a bigger screen. Always get that feeling when going from phone to iPad on real racing 3 as well.

5. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #45 worldcitizen1919, Jul 25, 2013
    My first Android game and very best but does this add anything new? I can't see how it validates another purchase over the 1st version. So what's really new and is it worth upgrading? Looks like just a repackaging job with IAP. Can't really see anything over the first version.

6. FIFTHSUN2012

FIFTHSUN2012 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2012
    WOW! I'm a big fan of the first one so this was a no brainer. Everything they did right the first time was improved on. My only issue is this, what happened to the accelerator button? If you bring that back this would be perfect. By the way how do you fit all that great game into 49MB?

7. FIFTHSUN2012

FIFTHSUN2012 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2012
    That's 49MB installed.

8. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    One of the most visually stunning racing games on the appstore

9. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Amazing graphics , amazing filesize . Playing with everything maxed out is silky smooth (ipad2) .
    Gameplay is almost exactly like the first , just a bit more difficult .
    Congratulations to the devs, the combination of high-end graphics and tiny filesize is something incredible .

10. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    I've played for about 15 mins so far and I enjoy it. I achieved every star in RGP1 and plan to do so in RPG2. I like how you can get different leveled skills, can't wait to get the Tornado at lvl 10!!

11. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    My $.02 is I considered it, at a minimum, an expansion of the first. I likely would have paid a bit in app for additional tracks.

And I was pleasantly surprised. The additional race types offer good variety and the jet skis can be upgraded.

If not sure, add it to your wait list for a price drop.

12. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    sorry. I refuse to pay more than 1 cent for your opinion. Free would be even better. I'm an ios gamer!

:D

13. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I have a confession to make.

I prefer tilt.

14. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA

I googled 'tilt' and got a surprise. :)

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm gonna be completely upfront here and say I didn't like the first Riptide GP. Actually, I loathed it. I bought it when it didn't have iPhone 4 retina or any alternate controls, and once updated I still didn't like...well, anything about it. There wasn't much to do, it was too easy, I didn't particularly care for a single track and I couldn't wait to delete it. I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but it felt like a glorified tech demo. I deleted it and that was that. When I saw GP2 announced, I facepalm'd as said "Ugh...here we go again".

But...I bought it.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely in love with GP2 right now. The gameplay from the first returns yet seems refined, the graphics (especially considering the size of the app) are drop-dead gorgeous, something about the tracks this time 'round doesn't want me to stop playing and the constant grinding (playing people, playing) and upgrading makes sure there's always something to do. While some people think this would've made a good expansion to GP rather than a new app, I personally don't see it. While GP, to me at least, felt like perhaps Vector Unit were dipping their toes in iOS and playing it safe...nah...this truly feels like a full-fledged game. Not a mobile/iOS game. A game...and a bloody good one at that. Bravo Vector Unit, this is how to make a sequel.

16. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

#56 MicroByte, Jul 25, 2013
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but did anyone notice under the Controls option a note on the bottom right about "Gamepad Not Detected"? If you tap on the '?', it states:

Gamepad Controls

"Riptide GP2 automatically switches to Gamepad mode when it detects input from HID-compatible gamepad controls.

Standard Mappings:
    L-Stick=Steer, l-Stick+R-stick=Stunts,
    A=Boost"

So is this just a mistaken relic from the Android build or do Gamepads work with this game?

*edit* nevermind, metalcasket pointed that the App Description says controller support incoming. Sweet!

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel

From the app description:

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I was very much liking it last night also!

19. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

:eek: Sorry, didn't bother to read the description, thanks for point that out.

20. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #60 GregB, Jul 25, 2013
    I bought the Level 2 stunt Rockstar and I don't seem to be able to execute it. I am trying thumbs each side of the screen swipped up twice, but I get Bar Hop instead.

Thoughts?

EDIT: NVM. Figured out I need to start stunts earlier on the ramp.