iPad Ripped off?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JaSoN L, Feb 19, 2009.

1. JaSoN L

JaSoN L Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Hey I just noticed this new app in the appstore '3DWorld For Free'
    http://appshopper.com/entertainment/3dworld-for-free
    This app is brought to us by 'collabtools' and is EXACTLY THE SAME as 3D world by 'NDMapple' which is 79c.:mad:
    http://appshopper.com/entertainment/3dworld
    The dev of 3DWorld for free says that the 3dworld app is a demo of unity and NDMapple are charging for it!! I know that there will be more features in the app by NDMapple but personally I feel a bit ripped off , at least until I see some good updates!!:mad:
    What do you think?

2. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    oo, so a dev is offering the same thing, but charging for one and having the other one be free? And the paid version will eventually have new features, but right now they're the same?

3. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    He bought one app which was a demo of how "unity" works on the iphone and they charged him 99 cents. Today a new app came out with the same content and it's free.

4. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Oo, alright. Thanks for the clarification. I guess that's a little rough

5. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Yeah, shoulda never purchased the 99 cent one though Bad is bad.

6. JaSoN L

JaSoN L Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Yeah!! I know people say its only 99 cents but still for people to charge for a demo app they did not create is just cheeky! even if it will have updates.
    Thanks for your support!

7. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    We'll see about updates, It'd be cool if they made this into a good Fps.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The only "demo" sort of thing that one should buy (and by that I mean not a demo of a game but a demo of a game engine, or glorified game engine demo) is, IMHO, the RIP and Ghost Buddy apps as those at least had gameplay. This "3D world" thing is just a Unity demo and no one should have ever charged for it, IMHO. You'd have known that had you looked through the forums before hand. I'm not blaming you, so don't take offense. Rather, I'm giving due respect to this site and this forum as a place to find info on games and apps for this platform. Coming here first allows one to at least guard oneself against rip offs like this.

9. JaSoN L

JaSoN L Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Yeah it was just one of those apps that caught my eye and I was going back and forth on whether to buy it or not and then one boring day it was downloaded onto my iPhone! :D

10. smokin okin

smokin okin Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    When I first read this thread, I felt like punching the creator of the original app straight in the throat, because now I am very conservative with the money that I spend on the app store, and I try my hardest to save every last penny. But then I actually played the free version. Compared to the .99 cent version, it is unpolished, it lags a lot, and it has ads in the middle of the game which certainly does ruin the whole experience of the game. The original 3d world may be a demo, but at least it doesn't run like a demo. It is fairly smooth, and the graphics rarely become choppy. And now that I think about it, it really wasn't that big of a loss, only 99 cents. Its not like it was a $10 game that is now free. And if the original developer keeps up with his promise and actually puts in guns and object in the upcoming update, that will actually make this game worth the dollar, maybe even more. But I would have to say for now, no one should by 3dworld until there is an update. And if you really want to explore a 3-dimensional world on the go, get 3dworld for free as of now, but then if the developer really does update 3dworld, I highly recommend that everyone should purchase it.

11. JaSoN L

JaSoN L Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Yeah, what you said!

12. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    #13 coconutbowling, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    Hmmm... I was just checking this on iTunes. It seems people think the paid version is FAKE. That's right. They think the free one came first. Idiots. I wonder if they checked the release date or the fact that it already has tons of reviews.

EDIT: I didn't even check the rest of this thread. Wow, I guess this whole debate is in a jumble.

13. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I love the description of the free version, a well deserved and long awaited kick in the ass for the paid version I'd say. ^ ^

14. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    The fact that the demo is from Unity engine/game examples it's not worth any money, but no everyone knows that so people will try to get money out of you for something they spent 10 minutes on and clicking compile.

15. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Yeah, there is a bit of controversy over at the Unity Forums about people using the demo scenes that ship with Unity in games and then selling them.

Legally, they are not doing anything wrong and they have the blessing from UT to use the content how they wish.

Morally, a lot of Unity users are pissed with the people that did this originally (like the paper plane one) so they have started releasing free versions to show shoppers that the content is not in fact original.

All in all, been heated discussions about this and then this new thread started more recently.

Both are interesting reads if you have the time and are interested in hearing what developers think about people doing this.

16. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Not ripped off. The developer of the free one did it to put a dig at the guy profiting off the Unity Demo. The original guy who released it obviously doesn't know what hes doing. Says there is a huge "update" with an island. Thats also another one of Unity's demos. Does nothing put steals work and publishes it.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=303078567&mt=8

Look at the top description. "Its going to be a FPS, jump maybe. Surprise island scene" LOL.