Universal Riff Racer (by FOAM Entertainment) with Apple Music support

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by la5tn1nja, Sep 1, 2016.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I was wonder about that myself. I'm pretty sure it's just track data because I deleted a song from my phone after I imported it and I can still race that track but the song doesn't play. It doesn't appear to be actually importing the music into the game.

Edit: awesome job in the quick update, dev. The game runs perfectly now. Thanks so much.

2. Cigarekt

Cigarekt Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2016
    #82 Cigarekt, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Man, game is too good. I cancelled all my appointments//skipped my lunch//almost missed a flight. Whatever. Seeing my name on the leaderboards has a higher priority. =p

This game is enjoyable at its core. We can all agree that playing (any) games accompanied by our favourite songs on the background doubles the pleasure, let alone if both song and game synchronizes with each other. Not because how the song rhymes, but the moment of jumps/drifts/boosts blends perfectly with the song; giving an indescribeable thrill I've never experienced in any game before.

Aesthetics: I was never a fan of neon styles but I doubt if there is any other style that fits the theme better. Also, Ford Coupe is a major turn on. ^_^

Controls: This is my favourite aspect of the game. I don't fancy complicated game controls in general [including tilt controls]. I am so delighted to see how a mere combination of left/right, timing, and duration is capable of presenting a magnificent drift like those pro drifters do (if executed perfectly).

I was at loss about why people complained about the game not playing their AM songs since I was too busy polishing my scores on the default songs. Then I activated my 3-month AM trial and got what irritates people. I am still happy with whatever is provided on the AM track section but the world would be a better place to live if I was able to race with my EDM and Mandopop playlists.

Spotify integration (as I said earlier) might be a fair solution since it allows music downloading (and therefore making it DRM free [CMIIW]) but it may overlap with other existing AM tracks. I hope you have something up your sleeve, dear Devs.

Very good game, anyway--I'm looking forward to keep playing this game for the upcoming years. =]

3. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I don't store music on my phone anymore because I solely use Spotify. If they add support for Spotify I'd definitely bite because this game looks fantastic! :D

4. masteroftheuniverse12

Aug 31, 2016
    #84 masteroftheuniverse12, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Hey guys, do mp3 tracks work on this game? I have a bunch of tunes in my googlr drive will it work?

5. masteroftheuniverse12

Aug 31, 2016
    Hey guys, do mo3 tracks work on this game? I have a bunch of tunes in my googlr drive will it work?

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Is there any way to delete a track?

7. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    #87 russiaone, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    All I'm getting is: Authenticating with Game Center. Please ensure that you are logged into Game Center on this device.

That's it.

Game won't even start.

No JB.

So after two deletes and two re-downloads, the game hangs for minutes, before finally allowing me to play. Apple really needs a trial period.

8. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    So, check this out.

In order to get the game to work, I have to click on the icon.

I get that "Authenticating" message. Nothing else happens.

But if I leave the app and click right back into it the game works.

Never seen anything like it.

Probably only me, though, whatever.

9. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I've not found it if there is.

Good game this, great for a quick blast when my usually dominant 'realistic racing' tendencies need a break.

I didn't think I'd enjoy driving along a neon track with Mr Sinatra, Martin and a bit of Bobby Darin but it's surprising chill.

I quite like the classical stuff too.

10. la5tn1nja

la5tn1nja Member

Jan 26, 2015
    London, UK
    Hi guys,

Just catching up on questions here! :)

Yes mp3s work great but they need to be need to be added to your local music library on your device.

Not currently, but it will gradually drop down / out of your list of recent tracks.

Sorry to hear this. If I can get some info we can have a think. What's your connection speed like? Do you have a Game Center account? Is this all the time or just sometimes? What device and iOS version are you using?

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    The past day or two I've been in an epic battle with some random person over the song "Carnival" by the Cardigans. God damn this game is awesome.

12. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Hey, la5tn1nja, do you have any plans to integrate Spotify into your game? Thanks! :D

13. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    This game DESTROYS battery.

14. la5tn1nja

la5tn1nja Member

Jan 26, 2015
    London, UK
    We'd love to do that further down the line. One issue is that Spotify's API terms don't explicitly allow the use of their music in games, however the wording suggests that you can ask for permission so we'll have to see if it's possible. It would certainly be an excellent addition to the game.

15. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Hi Phil, I was about to buy your game (I had been delaying as I'm short on memory on my phone) but just noticed the price has doubled? Is the promotion over or what?

16. rich1574

rich1574 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2015
    So as far as I can tell support is limited to a few tunes on Apple Music. Every tune that I have tried to add from my Apple Music downloads comes up with a DRM error. Have played a few times but in the end with the limitations in both gameplay and music have found it disappointing

17. la5tn1nja

la5tn1nja Member

Jan 26, 2015
    London, UK
    The launch promo is over now. There will be more in the future though. :)

See my earlier post here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3906171&postcount=23

...for an explanation - there are some technical limitations with the Apple Music API - we've tried to make this very clear in the game's description and have updated it twice following feedback on here.

The short version is that we can't analyse the DRM tracks so we need to create the tracks at our end and add them to the playlists in the Apple Music section. We'll be adding new playlists all the time so there will always be fresh music in there.

18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    So now this is free? Yikes. Kind of a punch to the gut for those of us who paid the like 12 hour initial price of $2.99.

19. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    Not free in German Appstore! Why?

20. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #100 coolpepper43, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Yep, but IMO still a really good game. For some reason this is not stinging as much as I thought it would. I don't know why they keep doing this. It's only going to make people pissed.