Universal Riff Racer (by FOAM Entertainment) with Apple Music support

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by la5tn1nja, Sep 1, 2016.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    That's because it doesn't fully support Apple Music ATM. Only iTunes purchases and their own Apple Music playlists.

2. FivepastTA

FivepastTA Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    UNABLE TO CONVERT DRM-PROTECTED TRACKS

Er, what? What's the point of a music-playing game that doesn't play music?

3. Danigarcia75

Danigarcia75 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    What's the point to buy something before reading what it does?

4. FivepastTA

FivepastTA Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    #64 FivepastTA, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    What it does, according to the App Store description, is "create futuristic stunt race tracks from the songs in your iTunes music library". I would include Apple Music tracks in my "iTunes music library" and quite clearly I'm not the only one. The fact that the App Store description doesn't specify that those tracks are excluded is misleading at best.

In any case, I got a refund.

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Yes, I absolutely think the devs should specify the app description, since they will mislead a lot of people with their current text.

6. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    So I checked out my GameCenter friends and saw that AnotherKellyDown's most played track is L.A.P.D. by the Offspring. Hey! I have that album! So I download the song from my iCloud music and load it up in Riff Racer. It says the track was created by "PhilFOAM". Ok, so two people (PhilFOAM and AKD) have played this before.

But wait, when the track loads, the leaderboard is empty. When I press Play, it doesn't list anybody as an option to ghost race. AKD should be in the friend's ghost box, and PhilFOAM should be in one of the others, right? So I play the track, and when it's over, it says the top score is ME. As in, I'm the only person who's played it. WTF?

I was really excited about playing the same song as one of my friends and racing them, but the game isn't showing anyone else as having played it, despite listing the song as AKD's most played and listing someone else as having created the track.

Has anyone else been able to race a GameCenter friend with a song both of you share (aside from the built in songs)?

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Absolutely. I played against Carter's ghost on Vektor's Cygnus Terminal.

8. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I've played other games that use Apple Music support that let me use my songs so I'm pretty disappointed. The fact that I can't use any of my music coupled with the constant crashing will have me getting a refund.

9. la5tn1nja

la5tn1nja Member

Jan 26, 2015
    London, UK
    Hi all,

A quick update.

1) There's an update - the crashiness should be better now - apologies for that!

2) We'll look at the description thing again. It's not our intention to mislead anyone. There are some limitations when working with the Apple Music API / DRM which means we can't just convert any Apple Music track into a racetrack locally on your device (awesome though that would be).

3) You should absolutely be able to race friends on tracks you've both got. The only caveat is, it must be the same version of the song. We do our best to normalise the data for songs and try and work out when two different audio files are basically the same song although they may be slightly different lengths etc. Most of the time it works great but sometimes there may be multiple leaderboards for songs or files that are subtly different in some way.

Hope this helps and please ask if you have any more questions. We're just a small team and the launch is keeping us pretty busy so apologies if it takes a few hours to respond. Our time zone is GMT.

Cheers,

Phil (FOAM dev team)

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #70 coolpepper43, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Nice update dev. I completely understand where you are coming from. This is a brand new game. Bugs happen

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Simply state in the description that this game IS NOT working with tracks from the general Apple Music subscription. Clear and easy.

12. HeinzKetup

HeinzKetup Well-Known Member

May 26, 2016
    So any songs that you have through Apple Music (the subscription-based service) don't work on this game? How do I know what songs are DRM-protected? Can music that I've actually bought off iTunes be DRM-protected too?

13. Jodiuh

Jodiuh Member

Sep 25, 2009
    So if I subscribe to Apple Music I cannot use whatever song I have in my music, downloaded or not?

14. henrycupcake

henrycupcake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Hello I love this game ! And this is the first game ever that's utilising the Apple Music API from the coming release of iOS 10!! Jesus !!

For the song request thing .i think the least you can do is play it cool and provide an Apple ID so the players can request song through iMessage like we did on Beats 1 radio! [email protected]

Woohoo is this game goonna be on the Apple TV and have mfi controller support ?

15. spedav

spedav Active Member

May 24, 2011
    Looks fun. I would definetly get this game if it had Spotify support but until then I'll hold off.

16. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Are there any games that have spotify support? At least I have never seen any. It would be awesome if that could be added. Also, Apple TV support with MFI controls would be the coolest thing ever!:D

17. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Man, when everything syncs up perfectly this game is damn near transcendent. She Is Beautiful by Andrew WK is like a religious experience with the volume cranked up. YEAH I SAID IT.

Also, I was able to race a GameCenter friend at last! Monkey Wrench by Foo Fighters. (#2 in the world now, after the devs. Great track to race on!)

Speaking of devs, is there any way to view the specially curated Apple Music playlists? I don't have Apple Music, but I do have lots of songs that might be IN the playlists.

For that matter, a way to find ANY other songs that have been already "tracked" would be great (other than looking at each GC friend's Most Played song). I love starting new ones and getting $100, but even songs I think are fairly popular often don't have anyone's ghosts yet...

18. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Most definitely this.

19. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I updated today and haven't had any crashes since. (Air 2, latest OS)
    Well done devs!

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Honestly, the only problem I have with the game is it is basically as big as your music collection. I think 15 songs or so bloated the app up an extra 60 MBs. I understand that it needs to happen so that the game remembers the tracks, but it's crazy that the game could essentially end up being a few gigs large the more you add songs to it.