Universal Ridge Racer Slipstream - (by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Hey Max, I tried hard reboot (hold power and home until it turns off, on and off again?) too and after that it's fine, but same with you, once it crashed, it happened more frequently. In my first 3 hours, it crashed once. But after that first crash, when playing it for another hour, it crashed 4-5 times, though each in different stage and tournament – all in the middle of the race.

So yeah, I can still play it but hopefully the devs will fix it in an update.

On another note, you can use software like iExplorer to transfer your save data to your Mac, delete the app and restore it back when the update is out. Just go to ridge racer folder and copy the "Documents" and "Library" folders (I often do this for my favourite games, so in case I lost my progress I don't have to restore the whole iPhone).

2. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I hope this game gets an update soon to smooth it out. I heard Ridge Racer Accelerator had framerate issues as well when it first came out that were smoothed out with updates? I hope the same holds true for this game.

3. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I just completed Rookie Challenge class 4. To anyone who has completed Grand Prix class 4, is the Fiarre still good enough? I've maxed out its nitro but only stage 3 engine and default running gear.

Should I keep upgrading it or buy a new car?

I'm a pretty average gamer and for the last 3 races on Challenge class 4 I had to use nitro boost perks just to have that extra nitro. That's why I thought I might struggle in the grand prix (assuming it's harder than challenge), but then again the non-premium class 4 car doesn't look all that fast either.

4. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I'm nearly done with the Class 4 events and the Fiarre seems up to the task. Now that I'm not off the throttle through drifts (see last page or two) and upgraded nitro, I'm getting first or second. Sometimes takes more than one try but the car is fine.

I remember in RR's of old that for harder races it was a reasonable idea to ensure I had boost available the last third of the last lap. The AI will usually stay close (unless you are really good and outclass them), so best to nitro away or past them near the end.

5. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    #145 rapaleeman, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    If you can keep from doing that then auto-accel seems to be the way to go if you are using the drift cars.

As others seem to know as well, braking in any proper Ridge Racer game (not counting Unbounded and R: Racing Evolution) is a no no for any car in this game. I'm not an expert but people seemed to appreciate my tips before so I will try to give a little insight as to how I have played the game so far. I just beat the Class 02 races and opened up the Extreme Class (edited this for accuracy I mistakenly called it Class 01) with assumingly Special to come last but I'm not sure as that option doesn't appear yet. Stuff doesn't appear on the menus until you progress a certain ways into the career. You can typically jump ahead one tournament or class if you want to pay RR bucks but in reality you really shouldn't need or want to do that as those races are a lot tougher if you don't know the courses and they are already plenty tough to begin with.

With that said, I'm finding that with auto-accel on, it is much easier to stay at speed and take turns. You also lose less speed on turns as just tapping the break doesn't actually slow you down it just breaks traction immediately. The key to doing this correctly is to be turning first then tap the brake not the other way around. So you want to steer into a turn, hold the direction (I use the virtual d-pad as I am not a fan of tilt steering), then tap the brake. You will instantly break traction and can drift accordingly.

The difference in auto and manual gas is that in auto the game is always accellerating so that split second that you are migrating back and forth between the pedals, while may not seem like a lot initially, actually translated for me to more than a solid second better lap times. In the early races that isn't a big deal but towards the end of Class 02 and me turning on auto accell it became the difference between 1st and 2nd. The transistions into and out of the corners were also smoother at least for me.

While obviously there will be someone that can do better with manual everything, without a manual transmission option (which in the console version was how you controlled your speed on the super insane cars) you are better off always accellerating. For most players, since typically you would be holding the X button the whole race anyway, it should be much easier to just tap whenever you want to drift. You actually seem to lose less speed by tapping the break to intiate the drift than you do by letting off the gas.

I will say that if you are going to use a grip car you will need manual gas as turning with those beasts in the faster classes requires you to essentially release the gas, point the car in the proper direction, regain grip on the road, and then hit the gas. You can't do that with auto at least from my testing as the grip cars will try to drift and ultimately lose a ton of speed. Then again I am drift guy so there may be another way to achieve that here.

In terms of stability and performance, on my iPhone 5 I have yet to have crash. Maybe I'm just lucky but it seems to perform perfectly on that platform.

The only other things I can mention about this game is that I still agree with my statements before that IAPs are not required. Granted you can't buy every car without grinding out a little extra cash but in reality you won't need/want to anyway as each car has different disciplines that the player essentially picks and should stick with. You will have more than enough cash to buy a new car after the end of Class 02 as long as you are placing 1st. The dissonance in payouts between 1st and 2nd are minimal so you could probably get away with 2nd or even 3rd place finishes on a few races. Unlike Type 4 you don't need to finish 1st every race to proceed which is probably a good change for the newer players.

Finally the RR priced cars are not the best cars in each class. They appear to be a reskin of one of the cars already available with a mod already installed and a custom body kit. I can't say for sure but they appear to just make it a little easier for a person to start each tier if they are paying their way through the game. If you are playing the races in order you should never need to even look at them. They are not needed to win at all as I haven't bought any of them. Your stats for your chosen car will be significantly better after upgrades.

@dnk The maxed out Fiarre is all you need. I beat all of Class 04 with it and I didn't use any boosts. If you are having trouble building nitrous (which you might on the Ruins stage) set it to auto charge before that race. That way you will always have a guarenteed method earning boost and aren't relying on your drifts. Ruins has a ton of straights and only like 3 decent drift turns that unless you know how to chain will not earn you a decent amount of boost. Route 765 is also like this too but that one has like 4 90 degree turns that you can chain so you should be able to use Ultimate Charge on those no problem.

Buying a new car won't help you unless you want to change your style of driving. Going with the first car in that category for instance will mean that you will earn less boost since it is a mixed stat car and that you will actually drift less. This is bad in the early going in my opnion as you need nitrous to be competitive and the cars are not going that fast in the scheme of things so coming to terms with the drift mechanic should be your goal.

Max speed as a stat means very little as max speed only refers to your non-nitrous max speed. You can actually get anywhere from 10-30 MPH faster using nitrous so you want to do that whenever possible. Upgrade nitrous all the way and spend the 3 RR bucks to get it to max (you will earn more as you level up and it appears that RR bucks are only there to max out a car or unlock crap early, nothing more). Then either set it to Auto or if you are feeling frisky set it to Ultimate and come to terms with abusing that mechanic by boosting into turns and earning entire bars of nitrous on a single drift.

6. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Which car would you recommend for Class 03? I was thinking Magnifico as it is the only car with a - drift stat. It is 7500 more than the less expensive car though.

7. rapaleeman

Dec 20, 2013
    #147 rapaleeman, Dec 24, 2013
    I bought the Prophetie I think is the name. It was the first one which is the "mixed" stat car. To be honest I went with looks (and price) as the Magnifico looks dumb although out of the gate has a better drift stat and the Danver is a stupid grip truck which is not how I drive.

With the lower cost though, I was able to immediately upgrade it and down tuned it twice to have a negative drift which is how I drive. I believe it comes in at -9 after two drops of the bar to the left but I could be off a number or two. I later dropped it all the way to the left after upgrading the nitrous (to get Ultimate Charge faster) which puts it in the double digits (I think it is like -20 or something). That appears to be the sweet spot for this class in my opinion after the car is fully upgraded. It is out of control but in control which is the definition of Ridge Racer.

Quick Edit: Wanted to put this here too. For Class 02 I went with the Fatalita which is also the mixed car. You don't get quite as much drift with it fully maxed out to the left as you would with the full drift car but I find that the mixed cars in the higher speed classes are easier to adjust and tweak to meet the needs of the courses. The way the game has the courses divided up in terms of replaying the previous courses just in higher powered machines (typical Ridge Racer so not a complaint) is that they are leaving out the ones with the longer straights and putting in the curvier ones. In the Extreme Battles I'm finding I need to be a little more precise because of this so I bought the mixed car when I got to Class 02. I beat the first set of Pro Battles and actually had to move my drift angle to the right in order to guarantee stability which is not something I typically do.

I'll be taking a break and only playing a race here or there to pass the time as I am a little busy and want time to settle in for extended time and enjoy the game as I have so far. That's how I play RR games and this one is as close to a new iteration of the series as I'm going to get. I'm curious if there are Angel and Devil cars that open up after all the battles like in the console versions.

8. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    #148 dnk, Dec 24, 2013
    Does anyone know where we can see how much we'll earn if we get 1st / 2nd / 3rd place on certain challenge / grand prix?

Thanks again Rapaleeman for your advise. I ended up giving it a go and yes, grand prix is fortunately still doable with Fiaree. It's just a matter of learning new tracks?

And for the class 3 cars, if I'm perfectly fine with how magnifico looks (I love the name btw), do you think it'll be a better drift car?

ps: Namco Bandai you should record your videos better, the trailer doesn't look interesting at all compared to the actual game, you're shortselling yourself and the framerate's very choppy too!

9. rapaleeman

Dec 20, 2013
    Yes the Magnifico right out the gate will drift better than the first car. After all tunes and upgrades it should be able to be more dynamic (which is actually what the original RR games used to call it: dynamic, standard, and mild I believe were all three). You should be able to get sideways faster and stay there longer than any of the other 2 while also increasing speed.

With that said, I didn't have an issue tuning the Prophetie to be a dynamic car.

10. That would be totally awesome. If they did so, it might possibly be the best racing game on ipad retina.

11. MrJayden

MrJayden Active Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Singapore
    Wow just bought this game on the 5S and it keeps crashing. Disappointed. Hope for an update addressing this soon.

12. Yeah, some devices are reporting crashes. Works solid on an ipad 4 ios 7.0.4, not one crash so far.

13. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Spot on review by Pocket Gamer who gave it a 9/10:
    "The best thing we can say about Ridge Racer Slipstream is that it isn't just Ridge Racer. It's Riiidge Racer!

There's a difference, you know.

The former means that it's simply part of Namco's sprawling and somewhat patchy arcade racing franchise.

The latter (as excitedly announced when booting up the original) means that the game sucks the same fuel-saturated air as the best in the series.

Ridge Racer Slipstream manages to nail the thrill of a chunky arcade cabinet. It also successfully replicates the essential look and feel of Ridge Racer 7 on the PS3 - arguably the last great game in the series.

It's an extraordinary achievement.

Especially when you consider that this is no mere faithful conversion. Ridge Racer Slipstream has actually been rebuilt from the ground up so that it runs flawlessly on mobile.

Ridge Racer Slipstream is far better than we had any right to expect.

By completely dismantling the last true console Ridge Racer games and reassembling them for mobile - slightly leaner and lighter than before - Namco and Invictus have preserved the essential personality of this great franchise."
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Ridge+Racer+Slipstream/review.asp?c=56202

14. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #154 bilboa, Dec 24, 2013
    Hi Connector, I also have an iPad 4, and mine runs this game much better than you've described, so I know the device is capable of running this game well. I get occasional framerate slowdowns, but I think I've only had one crash. Have you tried rebooting the iPad and seeing if the game runs better?

My iPhone 4S on the other hand does have problems running this game. The way you described it in your iPad 4 sounds similar to how it behaves on my iPhone 4S.

Edit: oops, I just saw your post above where you said it runs great on your iPad 4. I must have confused you with someone else on this thread. I'm pretty sure someone earlier in this thread said they had a lot of problems with it on their iPad 4, so my post is directed at that person.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Had been eyeing this game, but partly due to space was holding off. But now, also reading about issues running the game on a 4S, that makes me feel better that I didn't just jump right on it.

Honestly, I think I'll wait for the Android version, which was supposed to come out simultaneously but has been pushed back to "early 2014".

16. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    On stage 4 nitro, what's the difference between EX and HI?

17. Yeah, it must be someone else. Never had a crash, for the most part, has somewhat ok framerates, with some slowdowns as you mentioned, playeable and really fun, but far from 60 fps, but passable.

This game if it over 30 fps on ipad retina would be totally awesome.

Actually, since I upgraded my car, the framerates seem to have gotten a little bit better, so it is running prettt decent now.

18. I will have to get this for my note 3, with lower res than ipad retina and a better cpu, it will probably play better on it. Many games on my note 3 have better framerates than my ipad 4, though it is not fair cause the ipad is pushing ipad retina. Love playing Danmaku 2 and Raiden Trilogy with the spen stylus, wow!

But this game would be something to look forward to on my phone. Would be cool, thanks for the info.

19. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Runs flawlessly on my 5s. Cannot stop playing! Visually beautiful, IMO that review above hits it right on the nail. Visually & mechanically beautiful.

20. Yeah, without having to push ipad retina and having the power of the a7, this game seems ideal for it. Would love to see a video of this running on an iphone 5s sometime.