Universal Ridge Racer Slipstream - (by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    So I found another new bug for me at least.

I'm on an iPhone 5 and up until this last update I have had zero issue. Now every time I launch the game it crashes right after the intro video and I have to re-launch the app to play. The issue is that since the game itself counted as "launching" or "playing" I now lose the daily bonuses. the streak keeps going seemingly but I can never claim the reward. While I don't need the money or even the RR bucks, this really does suck as the little incentive to fire it up and play just one is now gone.

I love Ridge Racer and up until this point I loved Slipstream as it was a skill based arcade racer and not just a memorize the track and buy better cars racer (this was my main flaw with NFS Most Wanted). Now with the "multiplayer" being a complete joke it really has bummed me out hard. I was honestly happy before the latest update. It was a functional game that while a little sparse on content was super fun to play and very difficult to master. I never had a crash and only the very rare slowdown.

Now it is a lag/crash fest with a joke of a fake multiplayer. The downloading of ghosts like the Vita version or even the last several RR games doesn't work right (or as it did) making this a finite experience. While I appreciate other games in the genre throwing out new content, they aren't Ridge Racer. They don't give me the same joy as this series always has. Now with all the little bugs and issues starting to pile up for me this game, like the other game that shall not be mentioned is becoming a massive chore to play. I'm having to find fun instead of letting it come naturally.

I wish I could blame NB but I don't think it is them directly. It is Invictus that ultimately screwed the metaphorical pooch.

Here's hoping the next update at least gets it back to being fully functional.

2. dadol

dadol Active Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Same issue with the daily bonuses on ipad air ios 7.1
    I hope they put real online mode, it would be awesome, well until people start racing like this
    http://youtu.be/5zsnn2oVX_g

3. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm experiencing the same issues my iPod Touch. I can avoid the crash if I remember to switch on airplane mode when I launch it. But it seems like the other day I remember the game launching fine, yet I still didn't get a daily bonus. Maybe I'll go find a cheap copy of RR7 for ps3 and get my fix in that way. Tired of Scamco.

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Couldn't possibily agree more. I've felt this way ever since day one of the update. Game has been far from rite since the notorious update. U cldnt be more spot on about Invictus, dummies.

5. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    All my griping aside, RRss is still my fav ios racer. If A8 wld offer the option for manual throttle with touch steering, I'd proly love tht game. Just can't fathom how all the other control options are there minus the aforementioned missing one. Just glad it's an option in RRss b/c I break throttle to innitiate my drifts. Actually, I wld nix the brake pedal in RR, if I cld.

6. kingsisqo

kingsisqo New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    :eek: I don't think anyone can race on your level. I can see you love ridge racer like its the only racing game you played. you are so fast that. when I race online and although its the ai controlling racing. The gap between where I finish is the same distance it would be between me and you or even further and im in class 2 atm. you would prob beat me with a class 4 car vs my class 2 aswell LOL. Need to copy your style. be like learning ridge racer all over again but well worth infinite turbo.

7. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    That's pretty much how I race although I don't spend the CR for the nitro boost up front. Once I get that first tank and boost into the next corner, I basically never stop boosting.

You can boost into pretty much every turn and earn at minimum one extra tank and multiple tanks if you chain corners. Once you get two tanks you can fire one off on the straights then as soon as you hit the next corner pop another even if that current taken hasn't drained yet (a feature from the Vita version that I'm glad they kept). On the turn exit, you should have at least one in reserve or nearing completion thanks to Ultimate Charge (that's what the red line in tanks mean as you are boosting while drifting). Basically regain traction long enough to bank the nitro and then hit it again.

When playing this on the PS3 some of the online battles were basically everyone constantly boosting and trying not to run into each other. Pretty intense and stupidly fun.

Sadly, Slipstream crashed on me twice this morning while I was playing in a meeting and I was even in Airplane mode. Sad that the game has taken this turn for the worse as it was my favorite iOS racer.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I THOUGHT that the latest update hadn't changed anything in terms of moving more to a freemium model, but now I'm confused. I don't remember there being timers when you bought cars. Now there definitely is.

Were they there before? I searched the thread and didn't see anyone mention "timers" specifically. If this was one of their "bug fixes" then I am pissed. I was defending the game when it dropped to free as part of Apple's GoTW. But now I'm not so sure if I should have been.

And yes, you can use the second, more scarce currency to bypass the timers, but that's still BS.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    There definitely weren't timers before. At least I never encountered one.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #430 awp69, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    That sucks. If now Namco is pulling this crap, it's a sad day knowing the retro catalog of games they have and now they're another dev that can no longer be trusted.

I had to almost restart the game because of phone issues that I won't get into and loaded a much earlier save from my PC. So it was on my second car purchase - a 20 minute wait timer before it was delivered that I could bypass with the second currency. But that premium currency is also used for some cars so I wasn't about I waste it to pass the timer. And if that's just the second car I can imagine that the timers will get longer.

No this wasn't am expensive game at the launch price of
    $2.99 but I just am getting more and more frustrated with devs implementing this freemium type stuff after selling it as a paid game. I hate freemium but can deal with it (or judge a game on how it's implemented) when it's done up front.

Changing the way things to a paid game to a freemium style model is something I just can't accept.

EDIT: And now, I'm also starting to get the full screen ads in this game that I paid for.

Ridiculous!!!!

11. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I can confirm that works.

12. dadol

dadol Active Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Pseudo online broken again, hope they are working on something better.

13. dadol

dadol Active Member

Dec 25, 2013
    It is just my imagination or there are human players now? I see changes.

14. dadol

dadol Active Member

Dec 25, 2013
    I would say is true online now, there are people racing backwards, the typical multiplayer lags and other things.What do you think?

15. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Wow....anyone who adopted this game earlier should be pretty peaved right now....not even 4 months and it's gone free. F these guys

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's not the going free part that pisses most people off. Free sales go on all the time (and many within weeks or even days of release).

It's the change to a freemium model that sucks for those that paid -- ads and timers. Urghh..

17. dadol

dadol Active Member

Dec 25, 2013
    I payed for it and here is no ads, where are the timers? Haven't seen them. You can win all races without spending a buck, multiplayer is a good place for making money.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I haven't seen as many ads as others but I certainly have seen timers. Every time you buy a car, there's a "delivery" wait time that you cam get around using the second currency but if you want to use that limited currency for cars you can't pay with the main currency, I'm reluctant to be forced to use it to avoid a timer. And frankly am pissed that Namco put them without a second thought about those that actually paid for the game.

19. dadol

dadol Active Member

Dec 25, 2013
    I have not bought a car for a long time so i don't know if i have them. It only sucks if you payed for the game, if not it is not that bad to just wait a little.

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It sucks that Namco even implemented them for paying customers. The same company did paid and freemium versions of Puzzle Quest. That's what should have been done here. No excuses. It's not like a tiny struggling dev. This is massive company that has the resources to treat its customers better. Certainly will make me think twice about buying games from them.