Universal Ridge Racer Slipstream - (by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #301 bilboa, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    Yes, I'm using auto-gas. I understand what you mean about auto-gas feeling like the game is playing itself. I've done club racing for a few years in real life, and also play a lot of racing games on my Xbox with a very nice wheel and pedal setup, so I definitely appreciate wanting to control the throttle myself. However in this game you don't have proportional throttle control anyway, and you never need to even blip the throttle except to initiate a drift, so for 99% of the race you're just holding your finger on the throttle. I felt that manual throttle wasn't really adding any additional skill requirement to the game, and in fact it's exactly equivalent to auto-throttle, just with mirrored control inputs. When using auto-throttle you keep your finger off the screen 99% of the race and only touch the screen to initiate a drift. With manual throttle you keep your finger on the screen for the same 99% of the race and only lift it to initiate a drift. It's really just a question of whether you'd rather keep your finger on the screen or off the screen most of the time. I decided any feeling of being more in control when using manual throttle was just an illusion.

EDIT: I would note that the above doesn't apply to all iOS racing games. While I haven't seen an iOS racing game that offered true proportional throttle control, I have played some more realistic ones which require you to simulate partial throttle by blipping the throttle on and off. That's unrealistic in its own way, since if you were really completely alternating between full and no throttle mid-corner it would get you in trouble, but I think it's a good compromise with touch controls. Real Racing 2 and 3, and Colin McRae Rally, are some iOS racers I've played which require actual throttle control, and where I wouldn't want to turn on auto-throttle.

2. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Rite u are on all counts. I think I just prefer a throttle lift to drift opposed to using brake method. My reason for preferring throttle lift is tht it seems to lose less momentum. Nice to see a fellow real world racer here. I've ran many auto cross events as well as dragging in my lil white 93 5.0 notchback. Runs low 12s on drag radials. Cheers.

3. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    I use manual throttle also because there are times tht I need a quick lift to make a turn and not hit the wall.

4. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #304 chief78, Jan 24, 2014
    5.0? Nice man. Good time on the low 12s....that's pretty sick.

Now see, I'm the other way (just to throw a comparison) and like my hand off the touchscreen as much as possible cuz it'll only get me in trouble. BUT, every iteration of this game, I've played with manual and of course u can control throttle. Even though RR doesn't have throttle feedback (it's all gas or no gas), I suppose I've just gotten so used to it over the years. I would prefer a controller still though. I have to use the break tap method and it does feel like I'm losing momentum.

I got all excited this morn when I saw 3 updates from the store...then immediately disappointed when RR wasn't one of them. We should all just continually post Qs and comments about needing an update until they see it and get off their @$$. I've seen more motivation from a lethargic fat cat...

There's absolutely no reason why they can't push a quick update for what we're asking for....unless they coded this so poorly that it's the best that the title will get (which I sometimes fear due to the inconsistent framerate, frame clipping in corners, and the limited content in the game).

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #305 bilboa, Jan 24, 2014
    I'm not sure if anyone from Namco is reading these forums. I went to namcobandaigames.com and sent a message to them asking what the running gear and nitro tuning options did, and they responded directly to me, telling me they had just posted a FAQ on their site about this game, at least partly in response to my request. So they do listen to questions through that channel. You might try going there and sending them a message that way. Here's a link to the support page for this game. And here's a link to the page to send them a question.

Also, I hadn't checked back in a while, but just looked and saw they actually posted a description of what all the tuning options do which wasn't there before. Yay! We finally have an official explanation of what the tuning options do rather than having to reverse engineer them ourselves.

6. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Nice. I checked it about a week ago and there wasn't much of anything, so glad to hear they're at least working on our Q's.

7. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Ummm, so I just completed all of class 2....is there no class 1?? Battles for classes 2-4 opened up, but i didn't see anything for class 1.....this better not b a paid update to own a class 1 car....anybody else aware of this?

8. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    I just submitted a request for clarification on if there will be MFi controller support, touch screen button customization layout, ability to iCloud sync across devices, and if class 1 being absent is a glitch or part of a future update. I also asked if there will be balancing after class 4 for payouts vs upgrade cost, and pointed out the excessive grinding it would take to upgrade a class 2 car to even stage 2 (which is a sadly laughable 90k cr)

***I stressed the point that I hoped if class 1 is part of an update that we will not have to pay for it....then I reminded them I've bought just about every iteration of this game, including the horrific PS Vita IAP-fest. I also let them know if they do plan to charge more in updates, they just lost a 20 year customer.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I haven't finished class 2, but if you look at the list of in app purchases available on the App Store, there's nothing about a paid update, just credit and token packs. Maybe there is no class 1?

10. Yeah, hopeful for all that, especially icloud and joystick support!

11. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    All needed and necessary requests. U def covered all the bases. Good stuff, Chief!

12. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    It seems to max at Class 02. I didn't unlock anything else after beating all the battles either except for a ton of cash.

No Class 01 or Class Special from what I can tell. The app description used to say that it had 12 cars (not sure if it still does as I haven't checked) and if that is true then there isn't anymore content which kind of stinks.

I would assume that more is to come with the update for multiplayer but then again maybe not.

13. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    I would think more has to be coming. To end the game at class 2 is incredibly lazy and half @$$'d if u ask me. I'm just really worried that any future content is gonna be IAP.

14. rapaleeman

Dec 20, 2013
    #314 rapaleeman, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    I can only hope the cars will just cost CR and not the RR but who knows.

Then again, most other racing games with new cars may as well be IAPs as well. RR3 for instance has cars I (or the average/casual player) will never be able to afford. I'll never drive any of the Lambos or that Mercedes they added into RR3. Not sure what they have new as I haven't played the game in a while but the prices were astronomical last I checked. Same with Asphalt. 300,000 for that new Ferrari seems like a mile away considering I'm only getting 1000-2000 a race. This is without counting the upgrades in either game to make the cars competitive.

In the end it is what it is. If the new content is IAP, I won't be buying it. I love RR but I feel like I got my $3 out of it. I still enjoy driving a random course here and there as this is Ridge Racer. I'm not sure I could justify a few extra bucks for more cars on the same tracks. If the RC410, SYNQi, or even a guest appearance by the Camaro looking car from Unbounded (Woflseye I think) show up though, I'm hoping I can hold strong on my stance. I have so far in terms of IAPs on iPhone and DLC on consoles.

15. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Experienced 2 consecutive crashes while going through the line tourneys beat least the game let me keep the perks I bought so all is good. Me thing though, I can't seem to finish the " Buy 3 perks" daily quest... So I have to buy all 3 and use them on the same race? I must've bought 6 or 7 already though one race at a time since my 2nd and 3rd perk slot is still locked.

16. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Anyone? Day is almost up.

17. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Sorry, I always skip that one, but if it's not giving u the xp and clearing the task, then it must be all 3 at once (which is ridiculous really). Strangely I only have the class battles left and none of my cars have all 3 slots open.

18. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Update from email to BandaiNamco: squat....no response back yet....at all...

19. rapaleeman

Dec 20, 2013
    #319 rapaleeman, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    It's three different perks. I got this one trying out what each one did on three consecutive races as I haven't unlocked the other 2 perk slots. I don't need/want them but I believe they cost 5RR bucks. Hit the locked icon on the equip screen and it will give you the RR bucks cost. Not sure if the third one is more expensive after the second unlock. I'm also not sure if it is per car or just a total unlock to equip more perks. I assume it is a total unlock since it costs RR bucks but then again the last upgrade costs for each car costs RR bucks too.

As a note, all of the perks are borderline useless and not needed although they do what the descriptions say so at least they work. The only two that I found that were even remotely usefull were the full nitrous one and the no AI slipstream one. Full nitrous is just that. All tanks are filled upon the start of the race. The no AI slipstream means that they can't slipstream you once you are ahead so it is easier to stay in the lead as long as you don't hit the wall or screw up too badly.

20. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Must be a bug. I wasn't able to unlock mine even after more than 10 single races with 1perk each enabled.... On a side note, if you unlock the perk slot, is it unlocked for all cars or just the current one?