Universal Ridge Racer Slipstream - (by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I get why some people don't like the game though, it's because you can't buy your way to win races. In Asphalt, whenever I'm stuck, I can just grind a bit to upgrade my car or buy a new one and win the race (against AI).

Can't do that in RR... and that sometimes leaves me pretty frustrated to the point I almost deleted the game a few times.

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Alright, I need some serious help now guys.

I played another few hours, perfecting several tracks to the point I could run them in my sleep without a single scrape anywhere, and still I can't win certain races in class 03.

I upgraded my boost to two tanks, and do perfect laps just about every time, shaving significant amounts off my previous bests, but the AI just continues to boost past me like it's nothing.

When they aren't boosting, they easily slipstream me with the same speed as a boost. When I get a warning that they are behind me, I try to weave to get them out of my slipstream, but of course that just gives them an opening. If I stay still to block them, that just makes it easier for them to build up slipstream.

I was having a blast in the first class when things felt fairer, but now I just feel completely defeated at every turn. No matter how well I drive, the AI just constantly speeds past me. I'm all out of tricks.

So please, those of you who can win every time with no upgrades, what the hell is your secret? What am I missing? I love nearly everything about this game and want to progress, but apparently I completely suck and have no idea why.

Haaaalp.

3. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    @sweetdis Which events are you having a hard time with? I'll give them a try with the same upgrades as you and see how well I can do and see if I can explain what I did.

4. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    @larni no true multiplayer yet which sucks but it is supposedly coming according to the original app store description. Not sure if it is still in the description but it should be on their facebook page.

@bilboa my point exactly. This is not pay to win for better or for worse. This is winning based on pure skill alone. You can't buy a better car or buy a ton of upgrades or spend a half hour in multiplayer to grind out a few cheap wins to get a boost in order to instantly have an advantage. To me that shouldn't be required to stand a chance with the competition which is why other racing games, not just Asphalt, usually wear thin pretty quickly for me. Skill should trump who has either spent more money or grinded longer which is why I know I will never stand a chance in the weekly tournaments on Asphalt despite the fact that I constantly do well in multiplayer. That really sucks and takes the wind out of my sails. That's mainly the reason I deleted Real Racing 3 and despite the fun I have with it in short bursts until I hit another metaphorical wall, the reason why A8 is always on the chopping block of my delete list on my iPhone.

The AI in RR plays by the same rules as you do and have roughly the same cars in terms of stats from what I can tell. They are just a lot better than humans (myself included) and can maximize their driving skills. The only true upgrade that is worth a crap is the nitrous ones and that is only so you can get the right type of boost you want to earn to fit your driving style. hat means skill will always trump those that pay more in Ridge Racer and that to me is what sets it ahead of the pack despite its glaring problems and flaws that I have already mentioned in this topic.

@sweetdiss In terms of the Danver (the truck) you either bought the best or the worst car depending on how you drive. The Danver doesn't drift as easily and as such you pretty much never need to fully drift. The good news is that despite its weird, turn on the dime style of driving, it is pretty easy to control for the most part. The issue with it is that if it does break loose and you do start to drift it is a nightmare to get it back to center which is the reason I don't use it.

My advice if you don't want to buy another car that is more in line with what I consider to be RR style driving, is to take every single turn wide and to not break loose (meaning DON'T tap the brakes if on auto accel or let go of the gas if on manual gas) unless you are approaching multiple turns in a row. Then break loose in to a drift and take every turn all at once before regaining traction again on a straight. The one true bad thing is that without drifting you won't have a lot of nitrous. That shouldn't be a major problem as you will be faster than the other cars. Part of the balance of Ridge Racer in general is that the mild cars, like the Danver, have a faster top speed and since you won't have to slow as much in turns you should be able to slipstream the other racers in a turn and blow past them as you exit said turn. Save the nitrous for straights or the final stretch.

As for the AI slipstreaming, you can actually block them. Hug a wall if in the lead and then when you hear the announcer skate to the other wall and the AI will typically back off. One other note is that if someone is in your slipstream do not boost. They will get the same speed as you and defeat the purpose of boosting (you can abuse that mechanic too). You could also buy the no slipstream boost until you get used to the mechanic as it does actually work but I never needed it and to me is a waste of money. I don't recommend the use of the crutch as it will only hurt you once you get to Class 02 or the battles but it is there if you are truly stuck. Hope that helps.

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #285 bilboa, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    The Danver HJ6000

I've been having a lot of fun going back through the class 3 races with the Danver HJ6000. The only upgrade I have applied is the first nitro upgrade, to give me two nitro tanks. I agree with a lot of what rapaleeman said, but I disagree about avoiding drifting with it. From the specs I thought it was more of a grip vehicle, but it actually doesn't have a great turning radius in stock form, so you'll still need to drift to get around many corners.

Drifting with this vehicle is kind of odd, and it took me a lot of retries before I started doing well with it. In many cases it takes a bit longer to start drifting than other cars, so you have to start initiating the drift well before the turn, and hold the brake longer. I'd say fully 3/4 of my retries were because I failed to initiate a drift and ended up running into a wall when entering a corner. Once you're drifting though, it has some real pros as well as cons compared to other vehicles I've tried. The coolest thing is I seem to have a lot more control of the car while drifting. I can actually adjust the turning radius quite a bit mid-turn while drifting, which makes it a lot easier to avoid rear ending cars and to drift around them or inside them through turns. The more drift oriented cars seem less amenable to changing the turn radius mid turn -- once you start a drift you're mostly committed to a certain path around the turn. Where it's a bit harder, just like rapaleeman said, is when getting it to regain traction after a turn. It seems to vary by where you are on the track, but on some corner exits the car will keep skating around like it's on marbles even after it appears to have straightened out. It takes very fine steering inputs to get it to hook up. The upside of this though is you can stay in a very slight drift for a while on some straights, building up your nitro while hardly losing any speed. With the drift cars it's much harder to stay in a slight drift. You're either hooked up or drifting at an extreme angle and losing lots of speed.

The car seems to have a little worse top speed compared to the other cars I've tried, in stock form anyway. I have to rely a lot on slipstreaming to stay up with the lead pack. If the lead pack ever gets too far ahead of me then there's no hope of winning. As long as I slipstream every chance I get, then I've been able to win races so far.

Anyway, I'm quite glad I got this car. It's different enough from the Prophetie that I'm having a lot of fun going through the class 3 races again, relearning how to beat each event.

6. Yeah, drifiting is kind of hard to learn at first, but one you get the hang of it, it is
    Pretty fun being so out of control.

7. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Thanks so much for the help guys! I'll try all your tips when I get a chance later today.

As for the races I'm having trouble with, the main one that has me stopped cold is Amateur Challenge / 3rd Tournament / Race 1 (lost ruins reverse). I can't get better than 5th place!

I really do love this game so far... it's just frustrating getting stuck so early!

I think my main problem might be that damn truck. I'll try some of the tips you guys gave and if I still can't progress I'll just grind out a car instead. Which one should I go for?

Thanks again!

8. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I just tried that race with the HJ6000 and was able to come in 4th on my third try, and I was just half a car length from getting 3rd. I'm pretty sure I can do better with a few more retries, but not sure I could come in 1st without an upgrade. This is still with only the first nitro upgrade, everything else stock. That track is tough for this car because it has so many long straights, so not as much opportunity to build up nitro. I bet if you bought the first engine upgrade it would be a bit easier to get 1st, since that would give you better top speed on tracks with lots of straights like this. I'd advise upgrading the engine before buying a different car, just because it's a lot cheaper, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the the truck. If you do want to try a different style, I used the Prophetie on my first run through class 3 and it worked out well for me. I think it's a little less quirky than the truck so might be easier to get a handle on.

Personally I don't have a strong preference for one style of handling over another, so there's no one car which best suits my driving style. I just really enjoy the fact that the different vehicles require quite different techniques and like learning how to succeed with the different vehicles. I'm the same way when I play RPGs. Some people always prefer a wizard character or warrior character, whereas I just like to try them all. The vehicles in this game seem like character classes in a well designed RPG. They all can work, but you might need to learn pretty different strategies for each one. By all means though, if you're stuck try a different vehicle and see if you have an easier time with it. But I don't think you need to worry that you picked a bad vehicle, it's just a question of whether you can learn its quirks and enjoy it or not.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    @sweetdiss Ok, I can confirm, adding the first engine upgrade to the HJ6000 allowed me to easily win that race. Before adding that, I retried the race several more times, and kept getting 4th. At least with my current skills, I got the impression the best I was going to do was 3rd if I kept at it. I was just too outclassed on the straights. As soon as I bought the first engine upgrade, the truck became very competitive in that race, maybe even a little too much, since I ended up leading the race for the last two laps. I'm sure the opponents will get faster as soon as you get to the next tournament, so I don't think the upgrade will make things too easy.

10. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #290 chief78, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

11. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    I've actually gone back and have progressed half way thru the 3rd tourney of the class 2 GP. So I agree that with a lot of practice (or maybe just some random dumb luck with the AI slamming itself into a wall) most any course can be beaten without upgrades. All I've done is stage 2 nitro to the Jujak. I really don't like this car but it looks like the only drifter in its class. I have trouble at max speed as cars just slowly disappear but I've also found retrying a couple times will occasionally set me up better with the AI to at least medal.

12. henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    usa
    Game Impressions

:eek: this game doesn't support icloud , it's 2014 , seriously :eek:

i just deleted it straight away !

13. FrankiePard

FrankiePard Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Just make your own backup it's fast and easy also :)
    Game is really fun to play.

14. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    We're all waiting for an update that will bring MP, hopefully MFi controller support, and plenty have mentioned the need for iCloud support. Here's to hoping....it's been a month already......

EDIT: sorry, month and a half....even worse

15. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    I'll be honest, I'm getting so frustrated having to use touch controls and making one frickin error on the last lap (so many times) that I'm about to throw my phone across the room. Come on Namco Bandai......where's the update with the essential functions needed??? (Controller support, MP, and cloud save).

16. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Yeah, I don't know how many restarts I've done because I missed the brake pedal when trying to initiate a drift and ran into a wall. To be fair I don't own a controller anyway, but certainly that's the type of problem that physical controls would alleviate.

17. Really? This sure needs some icloud support, was hoping it had it.

18. henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    usa
    i thought that was just me , LOL
    i sworn i keep pressing my right thumb several times and i still ran into a wall ............

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I use virtual steering with gas and brake. I initiate drifts with a quick lift off gas pedal as I turn in. Have to admit I have missed the arrow keys on turn in and end up tagging the wall. Very irritating. Wld love to b able to customize the size and layout of controls. I suppose braking is the only way to initiate a drift with auto accelerate on. Tried this setup whn I first started but abandoned it quickly. I like the gas pedal because it seems like the game is playing itself without it. Never been a fan of auto accel.

20. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I believe the key to initiating a drift is to lift throttle or brake at the exact moment u turn in. If the two are mistimed and not simultaneous u will miss the drift. My main control issue is missing the damn steering arrow on occasion.