Universal Ridge Racer Slipstream - (by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #241 Rip73, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Replying and trolling are two different things chief.

2. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    20 years later and the only thing that's improved is the graphics it still sucks the gameplay is rubbish I played the demo of the first one on the Ps1 and hated it then and it still sucks now!

3. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I used to love playing Rage Racer. And I like this one.

The universe is back in equalibrium.

4. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I kinda wish the slipstream system wasn't in this game to be honest. I miss how it used to be where you would approach 1-3 machines at a time depending on how well you were doing on the track and if you passed them you were good unless you made too many mistakes.

There weren't too many driving games that played like that and it made it feel unique. It was one of the things I loved about the RR series. You knew you were doing good if you saw the 5th place car (out of 12) on the 1st lap!

In this game, I have to constantly deal with the AI trading paint with my machine until I build up enough nitro to leave a big enough gap. It feels like I'm playing online or something with the way everyone is slamming into each other. I see why they did it. As it could make races more exciting for people but it's been bugging me.

5. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I see ur point and both like and dislike the slipstream myself. In the essence of RR being about pure skill, slipstreaming seems to be implemented as a way to bring more gamers in. I will say my strategy is really to hold back in 2-4th place while slowly building all my boost, and like u mentioned, just unload all of it and create a big enough gap to ensure a win.

So it's a mixed bag. I do like it for the fact that if I'm short an upgrade or two in a race, I can at least hang around the front of the pack. Albeit this approach is much more about getting perfect circumstances and praying you'll be able to to pull out the win.

6. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Read thru the several wasted pages of space talking about other games. A forum for a game should b about that game, not every other game in that genre. That's all I'm saying. People come here looking for info....instead they'll read through several pages of trash talking this game in favor of others and vice versa. That defeats the intention of the thread. It was pretty annoying to wade thru multiple pages of nothing but ranting when all I wanted was some solid advice.

7. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #247 bilboa, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    I've been experimenting with the drift angle setting, and it just doesn't seem to make as much difference as changing other settings. I tried experimenting by doing a time trial race so there are no other cars to contend with, and then repeating the following experiment with the drift angle slider all the way to the left and to the right.

• 1. Note how fast I'm going when I approach the first corner
    • 2. Start a drift at the same spot going into the first corner, and then try to maintain the drift through the corner and recover from the drift at the same spot coming out of the corner.
    • 3. Note how much speed I lost during the drift.
    • 4. Note how much my nitro tank filled while in the drift.
    • 5. Note how easy it was to recover from the drift.

I tried this with the Age Solo Prophetie class 3 car, and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference either way, except that I can recover from the drift a little faster when the slider is all the way to the left. I expected that with the slider to the right, i.e. max drift angle, that I would also lose more speed during the drift, and fill the nitro tanks faster, but that didn't seem to be the case. It would be cool if some others could do the same experiment and report what they find for these different items.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Played this a lot since the sale and i am enjoying it, but i cant dismiss the feeling that i am not in total control of the car. It feels like the amount of tilt to successfully drift a certain turn varies on each pass.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I also had trouble with consistently initiating drifts. I'd think I had it and then end up driving into a wall on another corner because the drift didn't take. What I've found is that it's more about lifting off the gas long enough, or holding the brake long enough if you're using auto gas, than about tilting far enough. Also, the slower you're going when you enter a drift, the more you'll need to brake and tilt to initiate a drift.

This can especially bite you if there is an S turn when you need to drift one way and then the other. If you recover from the first drift and then immediately try to initiate one the other way, you've now slowed down enough that you have to hold the brake much longer to get it to drift the other way. In these cases it's often better to just not let the drift stop between the two corners, and instead go directly from drifting one way to the other.

I do wish the game allowed adjusting the tilt sensitivity. I would like to increase the sensitivity a bit so it didn't require tilting so much.

10. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    #250 chief78, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    If ur using auto gas and manual break, double tap the break as u initiate the turn-in for the drift. I noticed maybe 1 MPH lost occasionally but it guarantees the back will slide out.
    If ur using manual gas and break, I've found as I enter a turn: Turn, lift off gas, reapply gas while still turning and that should initiate it (think "power over")

Also, there are certain spots on every track where if u get the drift initiated perfectly, u kind of get "sucked" thru the corner. This harkens back to the origins of RR, but glad it's still in there. It's like finding the sweet spot of the turn....and then it's like a vacuum as u go thru it. Hard to explain but when u nail a corner just right, you'll understand what I mean.

And lastly, even though the controls are majorly cramped on iPhone, I prefer touch controls to tilt. This game is kind of a "twitch racer"....lots of quick inputs that may seem weird compared to regular racers, but for this game (and the fact that most everything defies actual laws of physics), it works. I do caution the boost button is RIGHT above the left turn virtual button, and I have had to restart the occasional race becuz of it (mostly when my wife distracts me or my dog Lol). I hope this helps.

11. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Yeah, I did try to get used to the touch steering, but couldn't stop hitting the boost button accidentally. I'd probably prefer tilt steering anyway, but I would have given touch steering more of a chance if the boost button wasn't right above the steering controls.

I'll give your other tips a try. I'm currently using auto gas, so I'll try double tapping the brakes.

Definitely know what you mean about being sucked through the turns. It's even more noticeable in Ridge Racer 6 on my Xbox. It was a revelation once I realized that was happening. Before then, I'd be doing all sorts of unnecessary counter-steering to keep the car going around the corner, since that's what's required in real life and games with more realistic physics. Then I realized that if you initiate the drift at the right place, the car just follows the contour of the track through the turn by itself. You still need to control the angle of the drift or you'll end up sideways or backwards even, so it's not as if it's all automatic. Also there's also a tricky transition point at the end of the turn where you suddenly get directional control back again, and if you give a wrong input there you end up sideways when you don't want to, especially if you're in the dynamic cars.

12. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Must reiterate, I'm enjoying this immensely for $.99. It's actually a lot more fun than RR3 n A8. Tho I do enjoy me sum A8.

13. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Agreed, it's still a matter of balance thru the corner, but definitely gives the advantage of maintaining (and sometimes increasing) speed.

And there is definitely a "snag point" at the end of the corner too....sometimes, no matter how much I intend to not screw up at the exit, I still do. I suppose so far it hasn't been bad for me. Still on series 3 and using the Prophitie with stage 2 handling and boost. I guess this is one of the grip cars? It definitely neatens up at the end of a corner.

I'm still trying to figure out how drift angle correlates to the +\- percentage on that stat....I thought the more negative that %, the more dynamic the drifting would be (i.e. The back end swings out more and is harder to bring back to grip).

And I haven't played with the turbo, used the advice on the stage 4 car (Fiarre?...can't spell it right) from pg 15 on how to set that up (I'll post back to see if anyone has a different setup and can explain how that effects boost).

14. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Found it! Thanks again for this. Figured I'd repost since it's buried before all the bs

15. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Thnx for the testing and insite. Good stuff indeed.

16. Yeah, fun game, got a great sense of speed for sure.

17. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    So I played around with my class 4 Fiarre since I have it maxed out and can play with the settings. To maximize drift:
    - handling set all the way to the left for both sliders (drift angle and grip)
    - nitro, I set the top to normal (far left) and bottom slider to auto (far right).

I couldn't believe it, but boost fills continuously, not just when in a drift. No boost is gained by drifting but I haven't found an issue with this so far. I drift pretty frequently so if I'm out of boost I just slipstream and drift where I can and know that boost is slowly filling always. Not as fast when u break away, but it burns for a pretty good amount of time and you can really cover some distance with 4 tanks. I hope this helps

18. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Anybody found a good class 2 drift car? Fatalita is rated +% on drift angle whereas the one under it (jujong?) is in the -%....I could've sworn Fatalita has always been one of the best drift cars but idk....maybe they set it up differently for this one? It's a big investment into a stage 2 car so curious what anybody is finding works well.

19. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    The Jujak is a good class 2 drift car. It's the only class 2 car I've tried though, so I can't compare. It handles somewhat like the dynamic cars in the console version.

20. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    As bilboa said, the Jujaak is your Class 2 drift car. The Fatalita was listed as a drift car in Type 4 but it was a standard car from then on. Here it is a standard car so I guess it is following suite with the current releases. The Jujak in the console version is a dynamic car as well so that fits.

With nitro set to auto it will always fill you nitrous no matter what. You don't have to drift at all. Just be moving forward. I don't think it works while parked on the track but than again why would you do that. I don't think it matters what the op setting is but I haven't tested it since I don't use auto. It's just not how I race.

Auto works fine on the slower cars as there is enough time per turn/lap to build up that boost. The issue I found with auto nitro is that when you get to class 2 the cars are so fast and the drifts are so crazy that you will need to be boosting constantly in order to get around the track the fastest. The auto won't fill fast enough for a few of the tracks while the ultimate charge will refill pretty much entire tanks per turn thus allowing you to stream boosts together constantly. As one tank drains you can hit a turn and build the entire tank back up. It also allows you to hit the wall or cars a few time and then build up and boost past the other racers that passed you when the game slows you down. It allows for a margin of error which I desperately need.

I'm sure auto works better on the mild cars as I always posted better times when using that setup as the cars don't drfit as crazy or for as long. For the dynamic cars that you are going to be drifting anyway you are better off with ultimate once you get to those faster rides. It makes things a lot easier if you can master it.

One final note is on the comment on the "on rails" drifts. That is a series staple. In that moment when you are out of control trying to get back into control after the drift (usually this is where things go completely wrong) is the best part about Ridge Racer and the reason I fell in love with the series. There is just nothing like it. It is sort of like Sonic the Hedgehog running at high speed. You aren't really in control as Sonic running basically plays himself as he is moving forward but you still having that complete control for minor course correction thus allowing for either ultimate success or total failure.

It's that crazy feeling of pure speed and being on a roller coaster that sets Ridge Racer apart from other racers and probably the reason why Namco was able to get by with consistently rehashing and re-releasing Ridge Racer titles since Ridge Racer V. This interpretation of racing is just so unique that I, as well as many of the other fans apparently since the games still sell a ton, are constantly looking for that next rush. Kind of like an addict.