Universal RGB Express - Mini Truck Puzzle (by Bad Crane)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. augustiner

augustiner Active Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Best Puzzlers of all time, imo

This game is right up there as one the best puzzlers of all time on any mobile platform. Having spent countless hours on Trainyard and countless others, this one has really kept me going.

It's so much fun how I'll wrack my brain to no avail on a particular level, come back and can instantly visualize and solve the level. Sometimes it just takes a brute force of making sure I've tried all the possible approaches. I'm on Austin Q-8 right now and stumped on what appears at first glance to be a more simple map.

Thank you a million times over for avoiding any hint of "freemium" currency for the game. I was initially dreading the "buy more coins" popup, until I finally realized it was structured as a pure skill game with no shortcuts to be bought.

I got it as a free app of the week, but would not have regretted my $3. Definitely a good value at full price.

One question -- is the orientation of a particular truck any sort of hint or moreso arbitrary? When a truck starts in the middle of street segment and can go either direction is it pointed in the direction of a solution or always pointed a certain way without regard for the solution?

2. The Morning Son

The Morning Son Active Member

May 21, 2014
    Sweden
    +1

I really enjoy this game, and your words are spot on!

3. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    #43 saosijs, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    In my experience, the initial direction is random. And it wouldn't be much fun if it was a hint ;-)

4. augustiner

augustiner Active Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Agreed. Just after posting I came across a level where the truck was pointed in a definitely wrong direction.

5. r+b

r+b Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I love this game. I look forward to more levels being added. I would like to see more variety rather than puzzles just being more complex. Just thinking of some suggestions:
    - avoid pedestrian walking across the road
    - night time, can only see a little bit in front of the truck

I'm sure the developers can think of more suggestions.

6. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    What's New in Version 1.1.0

I see an update is out! Version 1.1.0:
    - Enhanced graphics for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
    - 40 new levels
    - Japanese language support
    - Improvements and bug fixes

7. Markus-BC

Markus-BC Active Member

Yep! The first update for RGB Express is out right now!

No statistics or new game mechanics yet, but 40 new hard levels dedicated to all of our fans who have completed the first 240! The new levels are only accessible if you have completed all previous 240 levels, and they should provide many hours of gameplay even for experts.

There are also minor improvements such as when a plan fails, the used routes are shown as transparent (they were not visible at all on the first version of the game). This helps a bit when replanning a route.

As always, all feedback is very welcome!

[​IMG]

8. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    The first two persons to have 280 on the leaderboard got that days ago, one even one week ago :confused:

9. Markus-BC

Markus-BC Active Member

Yeah those two are our beta testers that completed the levels in testing sandbox, but unfortunately the scores ended up in the live leaderboard today when we raised the upper limit of scores to 280 and they installed the App Store version of the update.

They uninstalled the app already and selected "remove game center data" but the scores still seem to be there. We're sorry about this. :confused: .. But just try to ignore them :)

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    That's a tough crieria to unlock. I'm on 232 but stuck on a few. I was excited to have something else to dive into. Now I'm sad. :(

11. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    That's OK, Markus (beta tester scores). I was afraid they were hackers. Still I think you can remove the scores in iTunes Connect or something like that.

By the way, frequently I lose most of the game sounds ("pop", horn and money), but not the truck engine sound. When I toggle the game sound setting in the pause menu it all comes back (mini2, 8.1).
    The animation in between the bonus cities isn't much to speak of. The truck drives to the city under construction, but nothing happens ;)

And wow, almost two million players for a serious puzzle game! It certainly reflects the quality of the game

12. The XY levels are hurting my brain. ;) Breezed through Bonus 1 and thought this was going to be easy, but Bonus 3 is really tricky!

13. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    In levels in which there are MULTIPLE trucks, esp ones with a white truck, is it possible for a solution to exist that DOES NOT USE all of the trucks? Do you check the level recursively to rule out this type of solution?

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm pretty sure there was at least one level where I didn't use all trucks. Couldn't say for certain though.

15. Pantsjo

Pantsjo Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Netherlands
    Yes such solutions are possible. On Memphis J-6, for example.

16. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    It even was suggested as a possible GC achievement earlier in this thread ;-)

17. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #57 y2kmp3, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Markus,

I am a latecomer to this game. Few questions:

With the current (v1.1.0) version, what kinds of gameplay stats are being tracked and stored (not just for GC only)? What is this highscore and how is it calculated? When the game is updated with a future update, will the game be able to "retrieve" any hidden gameplay stats that were tracked in earlier versions (that is, retroactively)?

I am finding that many of the more complicated levels can be solved in multiple ways. I understand that there is some talk of an optimal solution. Presumably, you have some "intended" solution in mind, right? How do you define this "intended" solution? What about "optimal" solution"? Minimum length is an obvious choice, though your game does not give stats on this, so it is too cumbersome to calculate on my own. Another metric I discovered to be very suitable is the NUMBER OF TURNS. A preferred solution makes lesser number of turns (in total) than a non-preferred solution. Any advice?

More than a few levels, I am finding that I would need to deliberately lengthen a path to an non-optimal path so to avoid collision. Am I correct that this is intended so that the player has to make a choice?

More than a few levels, I found that the level could be solved without using some of the buttons, switches, bridges, drop points, etc.? Are some of them just placed there so that there is some symmetry to the level's look? Some of the locations are so off that I don't even think they are there for alternative solutions? Are others just there as red herrings?

There were clearly some levels that can be solved without using all of the trucks (at least in one case, such as P-7, two trucks can be left unused). Why is this the case? Are they unintended solutions? In some cases, these solutions were obvious, leading me to think that they were intended and not an oversight. Can you explain?

PS: In Chicago V-1, the only solution I found is one that requires the track to end its path on the button but PAST the terminal drop zone (instead of stopping at it). This is the first level I saw in the game so far that requires this. I thought it was an unwritten rule that all of the trucks have to stop at the terminal drop zones when the level is done. Why is this rule broken for this level?

18. r+b

r+b Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Just reiterating a post I made before. If new level packs are merely more complicated, I feel that the game will quickly get rather repetitive and boring, it would just be more of the same. Add variety rather than complexity. Think of ways to add new and interesting components to the game.

19. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #59 y2kmp3, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Another observation about the puzzle design in RGB Express that troubles me:

For the "harder" levels, more and more I can seeing that the levels are being made more "complicated" by simply adding trucks, routes, and stops that do not contribute to the overall cohesiveness of the puzzle in the levels but simply act as red herrings and distractions.

A good example of this is Los Angeles W-10. There are four tracks you need to route. However, a working solution exists which one of the trucks (specifically, the yellow truck) can operate entirely independent of any of the other trucks or routes. In other words, that particular truck contribute nothing to the overall cohesiveness of the level and does not need to be present at all. In a way, it serves nothing but a distraction and red herring, since the player is misled into making the puzzle more difficult than it really is by trying to shoehorn the extra truck's route to mix with the others. If is possible that a reworked solution incorporating that truck's route may lead to a more efficient overall solution (such as shorter total route length), but since this is not a goal of the game, it should not be a motivation to design the level this way.

From the player's perspective, this is not very satisfying because the player is always forced to second-guess the developer on whether or not a truck is there because it is a red herring. It is like playing an adventure game in which the player is tasked to grab everything that is not nailed down, only to discover that the puzzles in the game do not need most of the junk that the player just collected.

20. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Quotes:
    Red herrings, distractions, drive
    PAST
    a terminal drop zone, the player is always forced to second-guess the dev, player is misled into making the puzzle more difficult, deliberately lengthen a path ... to avoid collision, ...

Yes, don't you love this puzzle game? :D