Universal Revolt - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by andan007, Oct 31, 2010.

1. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this completely. The game looks great on the iPad, with some serious slow downs during explosions.

One thing that I would add to LordGek's "Cons" list is the control scheme. I'd love to see some customizable control configurations. As it is now, all of the controls are in the corners of the screen. On the iPad, that's a long stretch to reach all of them. I'd love to be able to move the bottom controls up and the top controls down, so everything can be reached without taking my hands off the iPad. Better yet, having virtual controls like Geometry Wars or Battle Bears GO would be the best option yet!

Otherwise, I'd say that this is a great looking and ambitious game. Can't wait to see what's next.

2. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

There's an option to turn off the bullet shell casings, which helps a little bit, but this is a pretty graphically intense game with the shadows and detailed backgrounds. Maybe there should be an option to further tone down the graphics, but that would take a lot away from the game.

3. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek Well-Known Member

We got our top guy on the explosion/lag issue, so it shouldn't be long before its fixed. :)

4. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Good good. The dev us listening.
    I mean, the game is cheap. But i would rather spend 10 bucks on simething without any lag and responsive controls than 2 on a promise of angreat game.

As it is, it goes off my iPad till the next update.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Definately will keep my eye on this, waiting to see how updates help the lag, particularly on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch. Game looks great.

6. Archimedes

Archimedes Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Another suggestion for Dev:

I like the environments but issues arise when an enemy comes at you and he's obscured by overhanging pipes or conduits. I'm not suggesting you remove these environmental effects. I'd just recommend a highlighted shadow outline of either a player or enemy obscured by the environment. Nothing is more frustrating than dying by an enemy you can't see.

7. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Playing this on the iPad and as mentioned there is a ton of slow down during explosions. Still seems like a quality game though.

8. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    *quick dumb question dont shoot me*

I didnt see a tutorial, I guess I was too busy hurrying to start it. The grenades seems to be deployed by pressing the button then swiping? seems pretty ackward to me, I cant hit anything with them.

I tried double tapping, tap+holding etc, only press+swipe worked.

Anyway, game looks great on iTouch 4g.

9. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah, you press the grenade button then drag them where you want to throw them.

10. Archimedes

Archimedes Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    As stated by the post above, you drag the grenade to where you want it to land.

As far as tutorial goes, when you start a game and you are at the level map where you select the stage you want to start, if you select the first stage, above the button to start the first lvl there is a button called Tutorial. That will get the tutorial started for you. Hope this helps.

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I love the game so far, I've played up to the 4th level of story mode and 8 levels of survival mode playing with the shell casings turned off and I haven't had any lag issues yet. One thing I would like to see changed is I would like the ability to replay previous story mode levels with the my upgraded character.

12. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Any experiences with lag on the iPhone 3GS? game looks great iv been following it for a while but don't want to buy it if the lag spoils the experience

13. ConorJBoughey

ConorJBoughey Member

Jun 19, 2010
    I've been playing this on my IPT2G, and its an amazing game, but Lag does really let it down, i haven't played the later levels yet, but have noticed it when playing survival. It seems when i kill an enemy, they explode, is this really needed? Yeah it looks good, so maybe an option to turn off the explosions?

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    You can replay them upgraded.

I am finding the aiming to be a little off and I am now on story mission 5 and have yet to have my health bar go down more than a quarter. I am playing on hard mode and this game is just to easy to be fun at the moment.

Its not a bad game but for a dual stick shooter I am not feeling any frantic pace whatsoever.

15. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I've played through the tutorial and the first mission. I like it for the most part, but environmental objects look very recycled to me, with usually just a different color scheme on them. I see identical barrel-like things all over the place. There are, however, also a lot of cool sci-fi gadgets strewn around the rooms that help differentiate the rooms a bit.

The game generally runs very well on my iTouch 3G, however explosions will almost always make the game freeze up for a split second, and especially so when one explosion causes another thing to blow up next to it.

The game's enemies I've encountered so far seem kind of boring as far as their design goes but also the ways they attack. I've encountered a humanoid robot and a spider-like crawler. The humanoid robot doesn't shoot very fast at all, making it easy to dodge. I'm still early in the game and I hope the difficulty ramps up, as it should, but I don't see enemies shooting any faster later in the game. Maybe I should restart it on Hard mode.

16. hamster787

Sep 1, 2010
    so what the general consensus should i get it or not?

17. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I would wait a little while to see if the performance issues get ironed out. It's a good game but there are plenty of other dual-stick shooters out there that you can get your fix with.

18. hamster787

Sep 1, 2010
    shame i mean i don't no if it would lag on my iphone 3gs but dont want a game that lags if it does
    :(

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Thanks, I figured it out, I thought for some reason the next button would only take you to the next level. Then I realized it took you to the next selection screen, not the next level. I haven't played the later levels yet but I haven't experienced any lag yet and I am playing with the shells turned off.

20. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek Well-Known Member

You can do that.