Universal Revolt - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by andan007, Oct 31, 2010.

1. The camera moves around and changes angles as you move, which mucks up your aim.

2. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Yes, same here, I also found the camera to be itchy. Def. needs some rework.

3. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Ok... This is weird. At first the game was really laggy. I quit and went back to try playing some more and the lag is gone! Weird... I was bored so I decided to buy the game anyway...

4. Kylescorpion

Kylescorpion Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Check out the description ;)

5. Caprone

Caprone Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Have you tried on the iPad? Is it good enough?

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I have it on the iPad. Nice game but I feel that the controls are laggy and the camera control is just bad! Not to mention hoe laggy the game gets ...
    Graphics is ok. After all this hype, I honestly thing that this is a disappointment.

Ps: this is universal.

7. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Epic faillll

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes. You bringing up NOVA 2 in this thread WAS an epic fail. I agree.

9. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Well this is clearly a great game, but:

•As stated before, there's lag on occasion, on an iPhone 4. If it doesn't run perfectly on that, what does it run perfectly on?

•It's so pretty, it's a shame to have it obscured by those huge control sticks. Can't they be invisible, floating controls? Left screen half for movement, right for firing. Wherever you put your thumbs, the control is centre.

Apart from those minor issues..... it's awesome!

10. mr_nismo

mr_nismo New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Had a play of Revolt today and to be honest its not as great as I thought it would be ... It has nice graphics, multiple weapon selections, and levels. So what is I don't like ? Hmm ... its hard to put your finger on it, but sometimes games just don't feel right. Its not as perfectly finished as Solomons Boneyard or Solomons Keep, which is still my favorite dual stick shooters by far ! But I like it a lot better than minigore which really surprises me on its great ratings. I'll continue some more on Revolt and hopefully get more joy the further I get through and update on my thoughts.

11. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    It works pretty ok on the iPad - just some slow down on the explosions.

On a 3GS, 3rd gen iPod and iPhone 4 it lags with explosions, like the iPad.

On a 2nd gen iPod the explosions cause lag and the later levels cause lag.

And the older hardware, the game is unplayable.

I have to say, I'm liking the game very much on the iPad - if you guys could optimise the explosions then the experience would be a lot better. But I like what I see on version 1.0 :)

One thing that I think needs improving is the way the virtual joypad works... I don't like the way when I'm going right, then lift my thumb off for a second to be taken left - I think my thumb favours the left hand side of the pad a bit.

12. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Beat the story. Great mechanics and fun minus the rolling because you stop and jerk awkwardly after each roll. Definitely worth the $2 and I hope multiplayer comes soon

13. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    looks/plays nice on the ipad, although the textures on the home page look a bit low rez. also see slowdown when things explode.

the fonts seem rather pixelated for some reason.

hoping 1.1 addresses some of these.

14. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Was just thinking with all the folks complaining about the camera: why are we given manual control of it in the first place? I can't think of another dual stick shooter that has it, but more importantly I don't WANT it (and don't use it.) Who has the time to adjust the camera in a frantic DSS game? Be curious to know what the devs were thinking there actually. (And possibly would urge them to re-think it.)

15. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Good lord, the footstep sound is annoying.

16. Archimedes

Archimedes Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    #96 Archimedes, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    My take on Revolt w/ my iPhone4:

Even after a restart, there is lag but I think that's due to the ambitious nature of the game. There is a lot going on. Shells falling, lots of shadows, pretty intense explosions.

Controls aren't terrible but certainly feel less responsive than other d-shooters out there. Part of that, I think, is the camera control. I appreciate the effort to move away from auto camera changing that so many other d-shooters use but I think for a d-shooter that has such tactical/involved game play, it may just be to much to handle. My suggestion would be to have a toggleable auto-camera option.

Overall, I think it's still a great title and certainly worth $2. I think it's worth even more than that. Whats important here is the developer(s) are aware of the games bugs and I get the feeling from their posts in this thread that they're committed to ongoing development for the game. To repeat what so many other's have said before, how often do you see devs actively tell customers to hold off on purchasing until their next update?

My vote is buy it now if only to show the devs your support. I support ambitious iPhone games. If you feel the same way and have $2, I'd recommend doing the same. I don't think you'll regret it.

EDIT: Note to Dev. The video voiceover's are great but I recommend standard protocal for voiceover's to allow for subtitles in options for those who might play without sound. You put some good backstory in there. Would be a shame for people without headphones on to miss that. Not a crucial change but still a good idea. Keep up the good work!

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    had to pick this up.
    played just the tutorial part so far but it seems really nicely done.
    yeah I really wish I could see the explosions work...
    The character animation is really nice and the sound effects are good.
    The footsteps don't bother me much but maybe could be toned down a little.
    There is a lot more going on here than the typical DSS, tons of lighting effects -
    so I understand if its not as speedy as others.
    I'd say its well worth the money.

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

I played it a few missions on my iPad.

The tutorial did a fairly decent job of walking you through the game basics but I think I would have loved a quick reference Help link discussing basic gameplay elements (moving, shooting, grenades, moving the camera, radar, reloading, switching weapons, other game screen display aspects, and the shop screen) just in case I needed a refresher (like I for the life of me can't recall the significance of the box in the outer ring of the movement stick?).

Pros:
    I appreciate how they really did attempt to bridge the gap between a standard dual stick shooter and an expansive and atmospheric first person shooter. If you use the earphones you can actually hear where new opponents are approaching from and I loved how they even emulated all of the ambient sounds of the various generators, plasma fields, and what not.

Cons:
    My biggest whine would be the slowdowns when there are many enemies on screen and during explosions (just toss a grenade at some containers and you'll see it instantly).

4/5 to easily move up once they figure out how to better address the slowdowns.

19. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek Well-Known Member

We're listening to all the feedback and we're going to get as much of it fixed/tweaked in the next few days for the 1.1 update.

Put up a new video of the Lights Out Mode:

http://revoltgame.blogspot.com/

20. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Will definitely pick this up later today. Seeing how a lot of people are experiencing lags, is it possible to implement a toggle to turn off some effects so it is not as graphically intense? Similiar to Minigore and Worms whereby special effects can be turned off for better performance.

Great to see the dev working hard to fix the problems, even telling us to hold off buying the game! This is what I like about the AppStore, more interaction between developer and consumer. Will post impressions later.