[Review]SurfaceDJ

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by LinXitoW, Jan 2, 2009.

1. LinXitoW

LinXitoW Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #1 LinXitoW, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
    Developers Description: SurfaceDJ is a completely addictive music mixing application featuring 30 custom loops[...].You can create personal mixes that are all your own.[...] Both novices and experienced musicians alike will find SurfaceDJ to be a fun, easy and unique way to interact with music.

How to use: From the start page you select one of the "songs", which are basically sound themes.

[​IMG]

That brings you into the main view, with the loop "coins" at the bottom and the mixing area at the top.

[​IMG]

Now you can drag the coins up into the mixing area, making them playback. The closer to the center they are, the louder they play.

[​IMG]

The app supports multitouch, meaning you can drag as many coins around simultaniously as your fingers can manage. Doubletapping a coin will bring it into or out of the mixing area instantaniously, depending on its position.

Does it work? Yes, it does indeed work suprisingly well. Its intuitive and most importantly, very simple, meaning that even the most novice of musicians(read n00b) can get right into it and feel really cool making what often enough sounds like really passable electronic music. Because the loops are always in sync to each other, you cant even really mess up the rythm.
    Thats propably the only bad side to the "simplicity-coin": It might get repetitive, especially for the professional musicians; but thats nothing additional audio themes couldnt cure.
    You'll also have to "perform" live, because the App's missing a recording function, for now.

Oh, did I mention that it's free as of now? Even if it weren't, i guess I'd pay up to 2$ for this refreshingly simple musical experience.

P.S.: Im not affiliated with the developers of SurfaceDJ in any way, although, in retrospective, I wished I were, seeing as how much money there seems to be in making "honest" "reviews", looking at certain websites ; ).

2. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Thanks for the info. Downloading it now.

3. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Looks interesting. Got a link? I had trouble pulling it up in the App Store.

4. Blueseas25

Blueseas25 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Same situation, interested but can't seem to find it in the App store.

5. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Here we go: [app]SurfaceDJ[/app]

6. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

That is a fantastic review. Thanks a lot for that.