iPad REVIEW: SimCity for iPhone/iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CraigLaw, Dec 17, 2008.

1. CraigLaw

CraigLaw Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Content & Community Manager, EA Mobile
    Los Angeles, CA
    #1 CraigLaw, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008

Many of you were asking for a review and some gameplay footage of SimCity before you went and purchased.

Voila!

AppVee posted this review and video of SimCity - check it out.

CL

2. LinXitoW

LinXitoW Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Not to sound skeptical...but how much did the review cost? ;)
    Anyway, im off to play SimCity 4 on my PC.

3. CraigLaw

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's the beauty of putting out a great game, it doesn't cost a dime :)

But please, poke around, get others feedback. I'd do the same if I was on the fence about something.

CL

4. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    The review seems incredibly shallow. I didn't learn anything about the game I already didn't know and I've never played it on the iPhone...

5. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    sorry but that review looks shallow. also; the game looks complicated to control and play. my $10 will go to rolando. :D

6. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #6 salsamd, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
    To be fair Craig, that wasn't much of review as it was merely an endorsement. There was little gameplay demonstrated, and the majority of iphone/IPT owners have not played the computer version. The game does look promising, but one could not objectively glean that from this cursory review.

There does appear to be a significant lag in refresh after re-sizing the play/work area...

7. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    I like how you think :)

8. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    It partly looks difficult to control because the reviewer doesn't seem to be very good at zooming in, he's trying to use the very tips of his finger, which make sense for keeping the screen clear for a review, but none of us actually do that ourselves, at least I don't. I'm sure in that respect it isn't as hard to zoom in and out as the video makes it seem.

9. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    i really want to buy this game, i hate waiting for reviews. this review did not really do it for me though... it was lacking in well... reviewy-ness!

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm buying. If you all want this help, stop being cynical and rude. Try buying the game yourself, play it, and review it. You complain because you don't like the review, change things to your liking stop spamming up threads where developers go out of their way to take that extra step to cater to you and you are too busy whining, demanding to see that, just sayin'.

11. CraigLaw

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's the only review (with video) I was able to fine within 8 hours of the app releasing. Every other mention on the web is simply an announcement. Did any of you follow the link and read or just watch the video? It sounds like you would rather I not have posted this at all?

My challenge to you is find another review and post it for contrast. Or, write your own. Then everyone can subjectively decide for themselves. There's a TON of chatter out there (much in these forums) so it shouldn't be too hard to get a second opinion, right?

Let me know when you guys post something, so I can be sure to see what you find.

Also, feel free to buy whatever app you like. Seriously, I don't make a penny from sales so you're not offending me.

CL

12. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    It doesnt stay in focus when you scroll?! all the buildings and landmarks go away when you scroll! How is this "a full port..."

Until I see more reviews come in, i'm saving my $...

Disappointed at this point, but trying to remain optimistic!

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't really see how reviews would help in this instance. Almost everyone has liked the interface so far and it's a full SimCity game. I think that pretty much sums up what any review would say. Any small things like building vanishing when you zoom can fixed in an update.

14. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Hey Craig, thanks for posting the review. I think the criticisms are directed mostly at the review itself, and I believe most people appreciate your participation.

I think it's going to be hard to find a more in depth review within 8 hours of the release, as it's a pretty involved game. I just started it myself and haven't had time to form an opinion.

arn

15. CraigLaw

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No doubt, good idea. I don't think anyone is making you go out and but this right now if you're not comfortable. Go on, wait a day or even wait another week - by then I'm sure there will be plenty of outside reviews to help you make up your mind.

CL

16. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Hmmmmm I haven't seen NGMOCO reps here interacting so how will you blindly buy that game without someone to complain to, no one to hold your hand whew 10 bucks. Don't ever try the lottery!

17. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    ah.... nice to hear arn . he has a brain and common sense. he reads! seriously, we are saying the review is no good and people start saying we should just blindly spend $10 like w/e and that we are being rude.

18. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I didn't need a review to know to buy this game. I haven't watched AppVee's review on it yet, but from what I understand, people are complaining about it? I agree with a few other people that have said this that you guys should make your own review if you're going to complain about it. CraigLaw was just trying to help.

Anyway, I've only played about an hour and I'm fairly new to Sim games (I've only played two others before on the DS and I think one more on PS?), and so far, I think the game is awesome! I really like the interface. At first it was really confusing, but I think I got the hang of it and it's fairly simple now that I understand it more. I'm going to be having lots of fun with this game.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about SimCity, CraigLaw. :)

19. CraigLaw

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Video has been removed since it's obviously not helpful to you guys (it was the only reason I posted it to begin with).

Feel free to follow the link to the review, or not. Also, if you want to see what other's are saying outside of TA, you can always Search for SimCity on Google or Search for SimCity on Twitter

CL

20. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks, Mr. Law I will be playing here in a few minutes and I will leave my review at the appstore. I think the problem lies in that Arn has these guys spoiled. With in-dept reviews and information about big release games. LOL.

Check out my Spore Origins review at the appstore too, thanks for that one Craig!