Universal Reventure (by Pixelatto)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Makara Nou, Mar 23, 2020.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks for all your impressions. Gonna buy it now. Don’t care if there might be a sale or not. It’s already very cheap anyway and the more money the dev gets the better

macplash likes this.
  2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You're everywhere on the forums! Trust me, we all know how much you put into iOS gaming. :)

This whole difference in price thing shouldn't even be an issue, but it also wouldn't be fair to not bring it up. Hopefully the developers chime in here or on their Twitter (it's also been brought up there) and we get to the bottom of this, else I fear they're going to lose out on tons of potential sales.

ste86uk likes this.
  3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I love the amount of content. And easter eggs! I just found the temple dedicated to
    all the translators of the game with different characters and their description to specific language they’ve worked on.
    Absolutely fantastic idea.

I collected 50/100 endings and the game’s huge. One action here opens something there. One death there triggers different events elsewhere. I can’t believe I’m just halfway through. Also the amount of helpful items. I’m just impressed. Btw, speaking about easter eggs, did you manage to
    crash the Battle Royale bus as well?:D

0F08518F-42EA-4C10-BA96-19BF6C0D9D06.jpeg

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

what the f**k is that??? :D:D:D

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The games excellent. Very addictive. A nice different type of platformer. Very impressed

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I just had a little go and liking it so far, although I’m surprised nobody mentioned yet that it doesn’t have screen rotation on it.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I didnt mention it as it shows the normal way on an iphone at least. Its the tradtional way, 'home' button on the right side etc. Unsure about ipads etc but its the best way on iphone

L.Lawliet likes this.
  8. It's not a hardcore game. Rather, it seems like a game where dev is trolling us and also gives us a good laugh here and there. It deserves the asking price in my opinion

9. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Here and there? You must’ve been playing it wrong. Pretty much every ending is funny as hell. I found myself laughing out loud on multiple occasions. I can’t remember that happening to me like that playing any game, ever. The game’s exceptionally funny. Except for one part so far when I was scared shitless. I guess choosing Fearless intensity factor in the beginning paid off, because it was awesome.:)

10. Please excuse my English. By trolling, I meant they are joking us in a good way. Yes the endings are silly but funny. Been playing it for a while. And I really couldn’t wait to create a thread just as it was out on App Store.

metalcasket likes this.
  11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Makara Nou I get it. I didn’t want to overuse emojis. It was in no way a criticism. I meant it in a good way. Everything you wrote. I apologize if it wasn’t fairly obvious. My English isn’t that great, but I can’t down-mouth it again because @metalcasket doesn’t like it when I do.:p

And I’m eternally grateful you created the thread otherwise I could’ve missed it which would be a shame.

Makara Nou likes this.
  12. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #32 Gwarmaxx, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    i understand now why this game has been so well received by everyone: as a story driven (even if light) roguelike platform, its concept is really unique, fresh and funny... congrats to this devs!

ste86uk and macplash like this.
  13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Apparently I’ve only managed 18 minutes on the game. After my first little go for a few minutes I wasn’t very motivated to launch the app again...maybe I just wasn’t in the right mood, I liked it but didn’t think it was amazing.

I’ve got 10 deaths and been exploring more rather than seeking them out but it’s actually more fun to seek out the deaths because they are funny and entertaining and it’s really cool to see things change in the world and new paths open up to explore. I’ll definitely start opening it a lot more now.

14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk don't forget to pick up hints you come across during the gameplay. Some are really helpful and some are utterly useless. But sometimes they're so literal they pretty much tell you what to do to get that ending. And once you find a compass it'll show you the way to the specific hint you choose. So it's always good to collect them all.

I'm at 67/100 and still having a blast with the game. Suddenly there are multiple ways to get somewhere, shortcuts unlocked and whatnot. I can't imagine the amount of planning to make it work so one doesn't get stuck somewhere. Especially when you uncover the stuff in no particular order. Just amazing.

ste86uk likes this.
  15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #35 ste86uk, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    @macplash I have picked up a few hints but didn’t click on them on the death screen yet as I thought maybe it’s cheating and I should find them on my own unless I get stuck.

But yes I thought the same that it would be hard to plan out given that you don’t know what people will do and in what order they will do them. I’ll have a lot more deaths tomorrow....probably the first time in a game I can actually celebrate death because I don’t in roguelikes I’d still rather not die.

Edit: just ask when does it save? When I did close it and come back it seemed like it just saves when you die and come back.

16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk yes, it seems the game saves when you die, which is actually not a bad thing. I don’t think I had a run longer than literally a few minutes. Death is rewarding in unlocking new endings, new characters, new paths. It’s not a punishment to die. This is not a typical rougelike so you shouldn’t approach it with a regular gameplay style.

Oh, later in game you’ll find an artifact that resurrects you when you die (you need to activate a computer-like portal), but it’s probably more annoying than start over.;) And those hints are available either anytime in option menu or when you exit the game to main menu into your endings gallery. It’s definitely not cheating. They’re more like riddles.

ste86uk likes this.
  17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Kind of a random comment but for me personally, I hate when games start opposite of this (home button on left). 90% of my games are home button right oriented automatically (seems like the "standard" since long ago) so having to flip the phone over every time is a pain. One of the biggest offenders is Dead Cells for me - I play it less than I would because of this. Mainly because I leave my phone in rotation lock and it's a hassle to keep unlocking it every time. Then even WORSE, with the X, the UI is blocked if the orientation is home button on the left smh. I asked them to add some rotation locking features but they never added it. Oh well.

Long story short, I wish all landscape games started in home button right orientation, at least to be uniform. Just a big pet peeve of mine after iOS gaming for a decade.

18. matyou98

matyou98 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Love the comments about the price being unfair as this game is cheaper on Android. After primarily being an iOS gamer for 6 years (still game on my iPad pro) I switched to an Android phone. I still check the new release list every week here on toucharcade to see if the games that look interesting are on Android. There are quite a few games that are priced the same, but when there are price differences it's usually double or triple the price on Android. I hate complaining about a couple bucks but when a game is $1 on iOS and 2 or 3 bucks on Android that's double or triple the price.

Seems unfair to me when we are all used to seeing the same game on Xbox, PS4, and PC released at the same price. Seems only fair iOS and Android should be priced the same especially since both app stores take the same 30% cut. I just don't get it and usually skip the game when there is a discrepancy. I don't care what the final price is, just make it the same on each platform.

I did get this game on Android for a buck!!! Still think it should have been the same price on both platforms. Happy to pay $4 or $1 for this awesome game.

One last comment, iOS has a lot more quality games than Android. That's the main thing I miss since switching to Android.

19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Anyone that bought this should leave a nice review on the US App Store. There’s only one rating of 1 star. Not too good for people looking at it without the luxury of these forums. I’m super close to buying this myself after all the good things you all are saying about it.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I mentioned this earlier but this is not a typical rougelike. Actually, I don’t think you can beat the game. Unless it means collecting all the endings. As a matter of fact, a lot of endings are meant as you did beat the game in its own way. I mean, there are endings after which you live happily ever after with significant other of your choice (and trust me, you can end up in some fairly weird relationships that results in an offsprings in form of another playable characters), as well as die horribly and the journey is then continued by a e.g. a family member. According to my game I’m in that kingdom for over 60 years and I can’t even remember what character did I start with.:)

ste86uk likes this.