Universal Return of the Zombie King (by Chris Zukowski)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Repulsa, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    I have the same problem also on an iphone 6plus dutch

2. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Upgrade system and die and retry mode are so intuitive in this game that I'm surprised nobody else did it before ! This game rocks !

3. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    This is exactly how I felt when it came out. I was immediately hooked on the concept of rebuilding your body as a way of progressing.

4. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I just got the same error on my iPad Air

5. bryngylf

bryngylf Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply and tip for temporary fix! I'm in Sweden, swedish setting. Would like the game in english! :)

6. redicius

redicius Active Member

May 8, 2014
    Not seeing the text here.. I am from czech republic.

7. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #127 Intendro, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    So basically, levels are only randomly generated when you first play them?
    Until you delete your save and start all over again?
    That sound weird to me... It's like I probably wouldn't notice it was randomly generated if I wasn't told this. :eek:

What about some method of rerolling levels?
    I think being able to play more randomly generated levels without starting all over again sounds like it could be fun.
    And, you know, randomly generated levels usually work like that anyway. :eek:

8. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Yep! I'm guessing my deaths are much lower due to the adjustments that were made before I got the game.

The many interesting and unique ideas sold me on this one. The energy system making you conserve jumps is very cool. I liked the progression of different abilities unlocking, like moving down through platforms. That was a neat surprise because it wasn't given away by the title in the shop. And the armour/spike upgrades make for some clever strategy when playing a level to conserve energy.

I didn't know the levels were randomly built going into this, so my expectations were different. When I learned about the energy and unlocking abilities, I thought I'd be replaying levels with previously unreachable routes to earn a level goal of some kind. But there isn't really any incentive to play these levels in any way other than the path of least resistance to move onto the next. I can't help but think of the epic possibilities for non-random levels, with all the interesting ideas and variables this game has, utilizing strategies and upgrades to 3-star a level by having a certain amount of hearts left, or trying to collect lots of coins and still make it to the end without using too much energy for a coin par badge.

Throughout the game I had trouble with controlling my jump height, wanting to make a low jump and ending up with a high one. I think I finally figured out what was happening. If I tap and hold ever so briefly, I get the low jump I'm looking for. But if I make a very quick tap with no hold, I get a max-height jump, which caused me to take some hits on many occasions.

However, I still enjoyed playing through this very much, and it pretty much ate up my evening last night as I played through 8 worlds, finishing the rest and maxing out the shop items today. The ending story was a nice, humorous surprise. Although the text moved on a bit too fast for my reading pace, I still got the gist of it.

Attached Files:

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Could someone post a picture of the upgrades screen so I can get an idea of what it's like?

10. RTAMGames

RTAMGames Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Hi the temporary fix for the language bug is to switch your iphone to one of the supported languages: English, Spanish, Italian, German, French, Russian, Japanese, Chinese. You can set that through iphone settings > General > Language & Region.

It sucks I know. I am working on a fix and hope to have it posted soon.
    If that is too cumbersome here are the upgrades listed in order:
    1) Legs
    2) Energy
    3) Eyes
    4) Ears
    5) Parietal Lob (basically a mini-map)
    6) Hippocampus (A marker for your last death)
    7) Hamstring (Ability to drop through floors)
    8) Armor
    9) Coin Magnet
    10) Wall Jump
    11) Double Jump
    12) Spike boots (ability to walk on spikes)
    13) Pelt Bonus (Earn gold for every monster kill)
    14) Boots Bonus (earn gold for every leftover boot)
    15) Health Bonus (earn gold for every left over health)
    16) No Hit bonus (earn gold for the longer you go without getting hit)

11. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Feedback

Thank you so much for this writeup. It was very helpful to see your impressions.

I did retune a lot of the levels based on feedback from many of the folks here on the forums. Please be honest, did you think it was too easy? Did you ever find you were bored at the end? Or was it just right?

12. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Be careful who you're asking. Haha. You will see what I mean if you check the top of the leaderboards for various twitch games.

13. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    I think the overall difficulty was just right. Every few levels I'd pass a level in 1 or 2 tries, but there were always tougher ones scattered between so it never felt too easy to progress. There were many times where I felt I had to replay previous levels to get more energy to pass the current level.

There was a consistent mix of levels that I'd pass without much trouble, levels where I'd run out of energy and wonder how I'm going to pass it, but then work out how to conserve better, and levels that were just tough to not get killed.

I remember seeing the message that I was halfway done and thought, "Whoa, that's only half of them?" So it definitely didn't feel like I was breezing through. Given that you don't want people spending more than 10 attempts on a level, I think the bar is at a pretty great spot.

14. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I can't believe I waited to download this. By far this is my favorite roguelike. Very well done devs!

15. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Devs?

Thanks! And Devs? Dude it is only me (I mean I did get someone to do the art but still)

16. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    Oh and have you considered leaving a review? You could literally copy and paste that comment and you would be my hero.

17. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Fantastic Game!

18. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Is there a way to get past this mine without joining the "Adventure Club" or whatever?
    I just wanna play the game

19. Joeavery

Joeavery Active Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Midwest
    Same here. Got the email, but it says to click a button to submit in the email and there's no button. Now I can't progress, and the developer has my money and email.

Will be requesting a refund. Not cool.

20. beasstt

beasstt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Adventure club worked fine for me and I got about a billion coins!