Universal Return of the Zombie King (by Chris Zukowski)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Repulsa, Oct 17, 2016.

1. se99jmk

se99jmk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    #41 se99jmk, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Been persevering with this one (Gold mine is a HUGE help, otherwise it can be a little grind-y..)
    Just got Wall Jump, which yes, does use up energy, but does help from getting stuck in spots

Looking forward to unlocking the next body part ��

2. RTAMGames

RTAMGames Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    How close are you to getting to the end? Did you get the minimap (hippocamups)?

3. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    I think there were @ 30 more levels to play, and yes I did unlocked the minimap; the last ability unlocked was double jump I think

At 7-10 lvl is a game breaking bug, I finished it 4 times and instead of getting the next lvl, every time I was pushed back to 7-1 lvl
    I got pretty frustrated after this and I erased the game; I guess I'll give it another go after few good updates, like the bug I was talking about and a "try again" option, since the last levels I have played don't give too much room for mistakes

4. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    #44 RTAMGames, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Help me out here

[​IMG]

Alright it seems like most of you have liked Zombie King. Can I ask you to do one simple thing...

Rate it.

You see full-paid (no-IAP) games are at a real disadvantage on the app store because people can't try them out first. So many potential players skip right over the game if there are no ratings because they think the game sucks. So can you please help me out and give some (hopefully positive) ratings to Zombie King

Here is how to do it in 5 steps:
    1) From your iphone/ipad go here itunes Zombie King
    2) Click the tab that says "Reviews"
    3) Click "Write a Review"
    4) Mark a star and Write down your favorite feature of the game
    5) Wait for the good graces of the cosmic universe to bestow the karma you deserve. Because you do deserve it.

5. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    #45 RTAMGames, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY

done!

7. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    #47 sobriquet, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    In a week with so many really strong games released, this is by far the standout game for me. I absolutely dig the energy drain system. I've never seen that in a platform game before. It works very well with the autorunner gameplay. I also like the upgrade progression. To me it seems rather clever to have normal abilities, like walking, as an upgrade. Earning brain and body parts along with traditional upgrades really caught my interest when I started playing and it continues to hold it. I my actual try finishing this one.

Great game, Chris. Btw what about that coin store. I don't see it.

8. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    #48 RTAMGames, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Thanks!

Thanks man, comments like this really are the reason I make this stuff.

Coin store? You mean like IAP? I took that stuff out so I could get this game out in time for Halloween. The menu is actually floating 150 pixels to the right of the screen until I turn on the magic code and then all of a sudden you will be access it (weird how games are made eh?)

Would you buy coins?

9. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Yeah that is weird. It makes me think of when I was a kid and would try to look at the tv sideways to try and see things of screen. Lol.

Would I buy coins? I'm not opposed to it though I don't feel a need to. I'm getting tons of coins in game. There ways only a tiny bit of grinding in the first world to get my energy up. Then of course I have to do most levels a few times to get all the way through, so that gets me a lot of coins. Especially after I unlocked the magnet. Since getting coins isn't really an issue what harm could it do to buy a coin pack to help support the game. Viva la Zombie King!

10. schumacher89

schumacher89 New Member

Oct 23, 2016
    I am kind of bummed about the game design. It doesn't have a pause button during the levels and instead I have to wait for energy to run out. And given that every hit manifests as screen blink, it leads to a rather painful strobe light effect. So the game needs to have a warning that it can induce headaches or cause seizures.

11. Copesan

Copesan Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm facing the same game breaking bug. Beating 7-10 restarts me at 7-1. I've tried everything and can't proceed, so basically the game is over for me. Any word on a fix?

12. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    I am working on one right now. Trying to fix 2 things
    1) Get monsters from being stuck in ground
    2) 7-10 bug.

Hope to have something submitted to apple by Tuesday. It usually takes them 24 hours. So hopefully Wednesday or Thursday. Will keep you posted here and on the mailing list. You are all subscribed right?

Join Zombie King Mailing list

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Okay... I've been stuck on level 717 for several days. I've amassed almost 40,000 gold coins, have bought all the energy, pelts, armor, etc., But still only get to only 75% completion. I've avoided all the fire balls (even jumped on them to traverse) and flame pits, traveled the high and low paths and a mix of both, and still cannot finish this level. Has anyone completed this level? If so, tips are welcome!

14. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    The levels are randomly generated when you create a new game so your levels are different from everyone else's and you might have just received the worst level by dumb luck (all the hard chunks never any easy ones).

I am going to work on an update that might fix this and I have come up with two scenarios. Would like to see what you think is better.

1) You pay a bunch of money to permanently shrink the level by 10%, then you pay even more money to shrink it by another 10%.
    2) You buy a one-time-use amulet that shoots you to 10% of the level unharmed with full energy But if you die, you have to buy another one.

15. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #55 ColeDaddy, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Thanks for working on a fix. Both sound pretty good. #1 is preferred if thethe payment threshold isn't nigh impossible

16. kbirch

kbirch Active Member

Oct 7, 2016
    The bug in 7-10 that keeps sending you back to 7-1 hasn't been fixed yet, has it?

17. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    I submitted the fix for the "7-10" bug to Apple this morning. It is in review. I will post as soon as it goes live.

18. RTAMGames

Nov 6, 2015
    Designer
    Arizona
    New live version

Hi I just published the latest version of Zombie King. It includes a patch for the W7L10 bug. I really appreciate all of your feedback. I am just one guy so it might take me a while but I really do want to make this game the best it can be for you. So keep downloading and commenting and I will keep fixing. Deal? Deal!

Now if you look at the AppStore page you might notice it has 0 reviews. This is because the stupid AppStore hides all reviews for previous versions. It is helpful if you have bad reviews, murder if you have good reviews. So if you wouldn't mind doing a solo-dev a solid, please go to the AppStore by clicking here. Then click the "Reviews" tab and then leave a short review with some stars attached to it. Thanks, it really makes my day.

19. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Just played level 717 three times and still can't pass. Ah well... Will keep plugging away. Hoping this won't be fruitless...

20. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015

Thanks for the update. I haven't made it to 7L10 yet but now I won't have any issues with that runaway zero. I also never noticed any enemies getting stuck and I thought it was normal for them to turn around at the top of the hills. Oh well.

Eli dropped some really good quotes in the last 3 or 4 minutes of the 273 (currently miss numbered as 243) podcast: "Man, this Zombie King game is so f-ing good" and "I'm totally onboard wherever this game seems to be taking me." That's good press. You should totally add those to the app description.