Universal RETRY - (by Rovio Entertainment Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iND, May 6, 2014.

1. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    This is a little fun.

I don't see it staying long in my device though.

2. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Forget 3-starring, getting all the coins in each level is the real challenge. I'm surprised there's been no mention of them here yet, it's definitely been the hardest and most interesting part of the game for me. So far I've finished 10 levels and have been able to get all the coins in them. Level 3 was a nightmare, but I've got a much better grasp on how to control the plane after getting that hidden coin.

Tip to get coins in the water:
    If you wait while floating on the surface, you'll sink.

3. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is probably a stupid question but I'm having some trouble understanding the 3-star system and additional level goals. The first is obviously for finishing the level, what exactly are the second 2? And what are the windsock goals?

Thanks for the help, I'm really liking this game a lot though! I don't understand why it keeps being compared to Flappy Bird though, it's nothing like it...

4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The second goal is to complete the level with a limited number of retrys. Your retry count increases every time you retry from a checkpoint, but resets to zero if you start from the beginning.

The third goal is to complete the level with a short distance. Distance can be high if you have too many loop-de-loops or climb and dive too much. If you restart from a checkpoint, your distance resets to what it was when you first reached the checkpoint.

The windsocks show how many retry points you have unlocked in the level. Once you unlock a checkpoint, it stays unlocked for all future runs.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #65 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Your second objective description is wrong: it's not a limited number of retries, but a limited number of crashes. If you save on checkpoint 3 and had 7 crashes prior to saving, every time you restart at that checkpoint 3 the crash counter will begin on 7. If you do a level without checkpoint-saving, every time you retry, the crash count is 0, and if you eventually get to the end after restarting 100 times, you get the achievement (believe me... Retried 100 times and I got it ;))

Will try what you say. Thanks for the tip :)

Oh, and to all who say this is a "flappy like", sorry but: no, it isn't. In fact, it's very different to any flappy game. In fact, there's a lot of strategy involved in this one (specially for getting all the coins in the level, as Matt33 suggests). It's not a mindless "tap tap tap" on the exact nanosecond so as not to crash...

6. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Nope. Just retried it. Every time you crash and retry from a checkpoint, the counter goes up by one.

Yep. That's what I said. If you restart from the beginning, the counter is reset.

7. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Sorry to insist, but the second objective is number of crashes, not of retries. Retries is the arrow symbol similar to the "reload" buttons in navigators, and crashes ("choques" in Spanish, in the image attached) is the number of crashes, which grants you the second star if you keep them below a given number.

Attached Files:

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yep, but the number of crashes equals the number of retries. If the number of retries is less than the max number of crashes, you get the star. If not, you don't.

In your screenshot, the number of retries shown (11) is greater than the maximum (10) but the star is still shown because you earned it on a previous run. Same as in my screenshot: the distance on my last run was 160.85 but I have the Distance star because I've gone under 120 on a previous run.

Attached Files:

9. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    My screenshot was to show why it's crashes and not retries. The number of crashes doesn't always equal the number of retries. That's what I've been trying to explain since the very beginning. Let's set the following example: you get to checkpoint 2 with one crash. After that, you have to retry 100 times, but never save to another checkpoint. Every time you retry, the retry counter increases by 1, but the crash counter is always the same: 1 (the crash you had prior to getting to checkpoint 2). If you finish the flight on the 100th try, you'll get the 2nd star because your crash counter is just 1 (the 1 you crashed prior to getting to checkpoint 2).

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #70 mr_bez, Oct 23, 2014
    I've no idea how your screenshot shows that. The 10 is the max number of crashes/retries to get the star. The 11 is the number if crashes/retries you got on your last run. There's no separate crash counter displayed anywhere.

You seem so insistent though that you almost convinced me that I was wrong, so I put it to the test.

I just took on Level 18. Made it to checkpoint 3 with zero crashes, then saved. I then crashed 25 times before finally completing the level. The max number if crashes is 8 so according to your theory, I should have got the star because my crash counter reset to zero with every retry. It didn't.

Attached Files:

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    On a separate note, does anyone know what the skulls mean?

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I believe the skulls represent the difficulty of the level - the more skulls that are shown, the higher the difficulty.

13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #73 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 23, 2014
    My screenshot showed that because I did exactly what you said: play an already achieved level. I just wanted to show the label "crashes" in the achievement, not the counters. And true: there's no crash counter, just retry counter. I thought/believed that the game registered the amount of crashes internally and I was going to do exactly what you did: play a non-played level to prove you wrong, but I guess I'll have to stand corrected.

The only explanation I find of me being so convinced (obsessed?) about the wrong theory being the right one is that the retries don't count when you begin from the start and not from a checkpoint, and in this situation it doesn't matter if you press the "retry" button or the "back to beginning of level" button. Believe me: I clicked "retry" on level 2 many, many times because I wanted to go up the clouds and crashed, and after getting bored I decided to finish the level and got the 2nd star. I guess I got it because I was always beginning the level, and not playing from a checkpoint.

EDIT: yes, that's it, I've just checked it: if you click on retry but haven't saved on a checkpoint, the retry counter reverts back to 0. Yesterday I played for perfect runs from beginning to end, so I didn't bother unlocking checkpoints. I thought I had unlocked one though... Anyway, sorry mr_bez for being so insistent. I was wrong.

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    No worries. You were only trying to help me!

15. pknobloch

pknobloch New Member

May 8, 2012
    Level 1-3 Locked Area

Once you have finished a level, the red locked blocks disappear. I have been struggling to enter the area on level 1-3 because it is directly above the first runway.

My strategy so far has been to take off and then "stall" the plane whilst facing upwards. The wind draws the plane backwards, so it's a balance between not hitting the ceiling, moving up and backwards whilst not toppling backwards (i.e. always facing forwards).

16. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Congrats Rovio !

This is how its done to encourage people to buy something as a thank you.
    I absolutely don't need anything (over 50 stars left) but i gladly spent two bucks to say so.

I'm at level 18 and the only timer i see is the one for the daily challenge, and that's ok, easy. Maybe i was too fast, but with that incredible challenge and great physics, i already had so much fun that it was totally worth it.

Curious though, are there timers later on?

17. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    This is what I was looking at early on in the game and what initially put me off on it. It's not too bad to get up there, just fly to where you are nose up on the right edge of the hole and then start looping non-stop. You will climb up. Once up to that level unfortunately you aren't done as there's no safe spot and you have to do it all again.

18. Rebrahimy

Rebrahimy New Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Love this game. It offers a good amount of levels, a great challenge, and no moment have I needed to buy something with real world currency to proceed (not a pay 2 win model).

19. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Just updated from the original release and I lost all my progress. >__<

20. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Aaargh! I have seen the webpage about Open Source Software used by Rovio about twenty times now. The Settings icon appears exactly where I tap when playing and the OSS link on that screen is in the same place as the Retry button.

I'm constantly tapping Settings by accident then hitting the link when I try to retry. :(