Universal RETRY - (by Rovio Entertainment Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iND, May 6, 2014.

1. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Ok so it's in between a flappy bird (I hate flappy games so much!) and a whale trail (fun). I'll give it a try, but I really hope this isn't too much like those flappy games

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #22 TheFrost, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Djstout, you will see is not at all like Flappy Bird, is all Whale Trail.

Edit: And a damn fine Whale Trail hardcore version...

3. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Sounds good to me then, so I guess it's similar to catbug and tanuki forest in terms of gameplay which I really enjoyed

4. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    This looks good, I loved Whale Trail until the devs decided to destroy their beautiful game with IAP. Looking forward to the worldwide release :)

5. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    don't you dare to give em an idea :p

6. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Its also not like those either... its the controls and the technique of Whale Trail applied to a hardcore difficulty in some sort of twitch levels, where the minimum fault kills you. You hold to loop or tap softly to advance, somehow...

Unlock are based on stars, and you can get 3 per level. You can also purchase them with coins -or collect coins in game-, but being good at the game, you can get it without paying any cent. And there is no iAds or any revives or timers.

All in all, a terrific game so far...

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This looks like a genuinely good "flappy-like", even if it has a different heritage, as opposed to the myriad clones and reskins that are routinely celebrated on TA.

8. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Been playing this a bit. Great action/puzzle game. Not quite a flappy-like, although there will be comparisons. Imagine flying a plane that is either full or no throttle, and the wing flaps are stuck. Give it too much gas and you do a loop. Not enough gas, and you plummet. But where it really differs is that your plane moves in the direction it's pointing.

There are numerous hangars spread across each level that act as checkpoints, but only if you spend a coin to activate them. Otherwise, you start the level over from the beginning. Also, coins you collect don't actually get added to your bank unless you finish the level.

9. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    Just saw the trailer on Polygon. This looks great.

10. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Wow, you were not kidding! Have you finished that one? Is it humanly possible?

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I love everything about this game except the difficulty level. It feels as if certain platforms could be slightly up or down, and still allow for a high degree of challenge yet not force players to make completely perfect maneuvers. I've been stuck on level 4 for quite awhile, about 1 hour while watching tv, and if it only gets worse from here I can see myself getting bored really fast.

Maybe if there was an incentive to continue, such as new planes to unlock, or new additions to your current plane such as colors, maybe I would drag on. Since the goal is to only unlock levels, this game reminds me of those user downloadable edited levels where kids on the net made brutally difficult for a good laugh. Main reason I skip those. :D

Maybe the soft launch phase will change the level design somewhat in the actual release version . . .

12. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Oh damn, I been stuck for ages on level 4. Well, uninstalled and will wait for the global release on this one.

13. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Anyone figured out how to beat 3-7 (the last level of future world) yet? I've been fine with everything up to there and then there's one segment there that seems basically impossible... It's where you have to climb up a vertical column avoiding a spinning line of blocks. Seems impossible to do without having perfect luck and timing... and even then I'm not really sure how to do it.

14. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Ok so I've figured out how to beat 3-7 but still haven't been able to get to the next checkpoint.... You have to perfectly fly straight up the left hand side. I've managed to get past the spinner about 5 times now but then I die right above usually :/ I guess I'll get it eventually hah.

15. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Ooookay well to follow up I finally beat that level and then beat the rest of the game (man the last level is nuts)... I then was able to come back and beat 3-7 (which previously took hundreds of attempts) and I beat the whole level in 8 retries :p Now I've got 3 stars on every level hah :D

16. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Looks like its been updated and the physics have been tweaked. I actually can complete a lot of the levels now even though it is challenging.

17. When is this game releasing in the US? Anything set yet?

18. NiceDude

NiceDude Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2014
    This game makes me so happy I have a CA account! I don't like the Bird games but this is my favorite game from Rovio in years! I'm almost done with world 1 and I can't stop playing. I thought it was going to be like another Flappy game, I can't stand those, but it's nothing like a Flappy Bird. Best times mean a lot of practice and skill and the levels are really awesome too. So addicting.

19. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Should be out worldwide now.

20. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Great stuff. Downloading from the UK App Store now.

I've had my eye on this but really can't be bothered to manage multiple iTunes accounts.