Retro Racing (Now free!)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by killercow, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Mr Qwak

Mr Qwak Well-Known Member

May 23, 2010
    Do you want to stop mis-representing me?

You said you no longer had any interest in debating the issue? What's it to be? Make up your mind!

Yes, we did discuss the matter via PM. Yes, I made a promise to address the IAP situation in the game. I stipulated no time-scale. It didn't happen in the next-update, and we both know how you responded to that.

Also, there was nothing said between us, that I am with-holding. I have been quite transparent about the whole affair. If you feel I am not, you're welcome to share it with the world.

I have nothing to fear. I also, don't feel ashamed at my conduct.

Wish you well Gabrien.

2. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    Thanks! It was a fun game to make, am always pleased to hear people enjoy it. Did you know it's 25 years old? (started developing the original version on the BBC, back in 1988!).

No worries; and thanks for sharing your point of view. Appreciate it. :)

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wow well I just read 3 pages of ranting basically over a 69p IAP.

Basically I just came by to say this was one of those games that kind of passed me by, I bought it when it first came out but just never got round to playing it (happens all the time, I buy to many games) anyway for some reason seeing the price drop made me think ooh yeah I should really give it a go :)
    And I'm glad to report IAP or not ive enjoyed what I've played so far (only the first 5or6 races) but still it's a cool game.
    Is it a port or just a nod to racers of old as I swear I've played something very similar back in the old Amiga days.

4. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    I was the developer of Nitro, for the Amiga, published by Psygnosis (RIP) in 1991. I also did ATR (All Terrain Racing) published by Team17. So yeah, Retro Racing is very much inspired by Nitro!

I wish we could all just drop the IAP issue...

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    What monetary sum need be attached to morally reprehensible behaviour for it to be worthy of note then, in your opinion? A rough figure will do.

6. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    #26 Mr Qwak, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    Morally reprehensible? :p

Man, I really think you're blowing this thing way out of all proportion...

EDIT: Okay, just been looking at the forum rules:

- The forums exist to talk about iPhone and iPod Touch games primarily. Everything else is secondary. So preserving this discussion takes priority.
    - Don't cause trouble.
    - Don't cause more work for the moderators.
    - Don't needlessly pester developers.
    - Don't spam the site.
    - Use common sense.

I have no desire to cause get myself banned, so please, let's drop it shall we? Can we just agree to disagree in a civil manner? I appreciate you have a less than rosy opinion of me, and that's fine.

I don't feel you're looking at the bigger picture here, I'm sorry this all blew up, but I wish you all the best Gabrien.

Take care. :)

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    This thread is insane.

This game is awesome.

The IAP is not really the kind that ruins leaderboards, like consumable currency for powerups. It's a 1 time purchase for an upper tier of cars. Certainly take that into account and consider it a 2 dollar (or 1 dollar while free) app if you want to compete. It would be better if the cars could be earned, and I'm still expecting that to happen (add new tracks for IAP ;) ), but I'm not going to go so far as to attempt to make a moral judgement about someone based on the delayed release of an update promised on a forum.

8. xraydash

xraydash Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Thanks for the freebie! Saw this game on the icade compatible list and it just so happens I expect to receive one in the mail any day now. I'll wait until then to check it out but I'm looking forward to it.

9. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    All drama aside, this game is really fun. Thanks for the sale, Mr. Qwak, and I hope your game gets some exposure - especially after reading about how Apple screwed up earlier.
    Definitely recommend the game, and don't begrudge the dev a download just because of all the drama :rolleyes:

10. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    Thanks guys, enjoy the game, and really appreciate your support! :)

11. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Free again! :)

12. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    just a bump

always going free....fun game

13. VOGamer

VOGamer Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Yes! Splitscreen on the same iPad!!! Wish more games took advantage of the large iPad screen.

14. webman2k

webman2k Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Just read this thread. Wow. It's a dollar! 60 cents! 4 quarters! How much energy went into some of those replies? Likely more than a dollar's worth. There's no lesson, or principal here. A dollar enhances your experience with the game by providing better cars. They aren't necessary. If the game was $1.99 no-one would be complaining.

It's so funny - I find myself on the opposite end of opinions about persistent IAP. Notice I said persistant. I hate IAP currencies, but persistant purchases are a great business model for everyone. They allow more people to try out the game, and then decide how much value they want to get out of the whole experience going forward.

By the way - great game. On the iPhone, I'd love to be able to play this landscape. The navigation feels a little cramped at the bottom. What also might remedy that is replacing the two turn buttons with a wheel, the type where the direction the wheel is pointing is the direction you're going to go.

15. iamseamonster

iamseamonster Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I like it. Building your car's stats with pick-ups throughout the race is nifty. At least I think that's what's going on? Stoned.

16. beezzee

beezzee Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Split screen mode is fantastic! Now I want online multiplayer :)

17. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yes.

18. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    This is actually pretty fun, handles nicely and feels good. This and a cross between Supercars II from the Amiga would be a full win

19. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
  20. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    It's free again