Universal Retro Knight (by Noah Wilson)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Lol@saloon sex change

2. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Any gnit making ideas? Aside from daily quests? And also what do you do if all your weapons break and you have no gnit to buy another?

3. noahbwilson

noahbwilson Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    Gnit:
    1) Sell things. Figure out what types of things are worth money, and seek them out.
    2) Work on your Task List on the menu. There are prizes!
    3) Seek out treasure. There are many treasure chests in the game, some loaded with Gnt.

If you run out of weapons, you can visit Brick in Kingdomtown. He offers free Beatsticks to get you started again.

4. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I think it said the blacksmith gives you a free low level stick if you don’t have a weapon.
    You could then go around hitting bushes, etc, and hoping for some gnit that way.
    And also by coincidence the king has no quest today and the message is to go to mushroom plains and run the action course for 200 gnit.
    Sorry but I haven’t played enough yet to see if there is a good way to farm gnit.
    EDIT:
    Oh fudge..... the dev beat me to it. :rolleyes:

5. noahbwilson

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    Also collect rocks and visit a Gemologist. They can crack it open and see if anything cool is inside like diamonds or other valuable gemstones.

Or you could always try your hand at fishing!

I'll give you guys time to talk amongst yourselves. I love seeing how people play the game!

6. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #46 stubbieoz, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    There is one spot I found where you can go some grinding for 40 gnit per time. You need to have gained enough badges before you can enter the Mushroom Plains though.

Go to the Mushroom Plains and make your way to J6.
    Immediately go right and pick up two ballons. Then go straight up to the top and go left and get the leaf book. This will help kill all enemies which are pretty stong and some have poison ability. At the top of J6 there are two trees that have 20 gnit hidden in each. You can then exit J6 and turn around and repeat.
    You need to make sure you take a sturdy weapon and also a flute to make it easy to exit when you want. I don’t consider this to be an exploit as the enemies can really do some damage if your not carefull and you might run out of healing items fairly easily if drops don’t favor you.
    But if you spend some time in the area you can build up a reasonable stash. It has helped me to just about get enough for a decent plot of land to build my house on. :)

EDIT:
    Well wouldn’t you know it.
    I went back after posting and the two 20 gnits gems are no longer there. So maybe it only works sometimes. The only thing I can think of is the second time I went there and farmed for some gnits I left using the flute rather than just going back to the exit in the map. Anyway it was good while it lasted. :D

7. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Initially I was okay with the d-pad but after many hours playing I have to agree with you.
    Can’t quite pin it but there are times when the d-pad just becomes unresponsive and I have trouble facing an enemy to attack.
    Perhaps an option to locate the d-pad further from the screen edges it would help? It is very close to the left and bottom sides of the screen.
    Perhaps your suggestion of a floating d-pad would help?
    As it is I am finding controlling my character a lot more frustrating than it should be. My character has died way too many times simply because he just would not move when I wanted him to.

8. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Still really enjoying the game! I found a vampire axe while exploring mushroom plains and that satisfaction of getting ahold of a really awesome weapon... I haven’t collected enough badges to get into any of the more interesting areas yet but I’m working on it:D and thanks for all the advice about money making and finding yourself weaponless, I didn’t know about the free stick lol I do agree the controls could be a little better I get “stuck” sometimes as well

9. noahbwilson

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    #49 noahbwilson, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    4-way Dpads are just super tough on mobile, and I knew that going in. I have a few other games that have earlier attempts at the device, and sadly the one in RK is the best I could come up with. It just lacks that tactile response of knowing WHERE your fingers are. I MIGHT be able to add the ability of selecting alternate sizes of the Dpad at least. That way if you are finding it difficult, you can try another option. That would be an easy add as long as I am just messing with the scale of the buttons.

UPDATE: I am working on this feature, but it will not arrive until v4.0 in a few months. Please suggest ideas on how to make this better.

STANDARD = the way it is now
    DEEP = Dpad and Food button are moved up/to the right 50px
    DEEPER = Dpad and Food button are moved up/to the right 100px
    BIGGER = Dpad and Food button are moved up/to the right 25px & Dpad is 25% bigger
    BIGGER 2 = Dpad and Food button are moved up/to the right 75px & Dpad is 25% bigger

10. noahbwilson

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    Do you want to make new areas for Retro Knight? I don't want to steal the fun of PLAYING the game away from you, but if anyone is interested... here's a fun fact about Retro Knight you probably don't know!

Retro Knight has a built in level editor, which is how I was able to make this game so giant (and fairly quickly). It is NOT entirely use-friendly and requires you to basically know a lot about the world and its mechanics, as well as a lot of the work-arounds I had to do in order to add some variety. I'm always trying to drop in new LINEAR areas as part of the ORDERS as they can be created without worry about the surrounding environments. That's how the PORTAL mechanic works: you just fall into a portal and well ... you're in some random area for a little bit.

Again, I know this could take away from the 'mystery' of the game as you would basically be helping me add more content, so please, only do this if you love making mazes. I would gladly pay you in Gnit if your creation makes it into the game.

Attached Files:

11. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Yes!

12. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    One thing I just noticed which may be contributing to the non responsive joystick. The character does not move when swinging his weapon.
    So if I am fighting a tough enemy I instintively keep attacking while trying to move away. That is causing me to simply not move.

13. noahbwilson

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    Ah I see. Yes, you cannot attack while walking. That's just the way it is.

14. noahbwilson

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    So I've noticed a steady up-tick in downloads/sales since this forum started, and I don't know who is to blame for that. :p

In any case, here, have a free Flame Thrower! Just go to http://www.retroknight.com/freebies.php and type in your username. Bam. It will be appear as a present in the pause menu. Retro Knight is just full of secrets, hu?

THIS OFFER EXPIRES TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT EST.

flamethrower.png

15. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Fair enough. If it’s meant to be then so be it. :)
    Still, I think your on the right track of having position options for the joystick. I noticed on the large iPad that the active area on the top and right direction are about a finger width from the edge of the joystick which is good. Because the joystick is currently so close to the edge on the left and down position you don’t get that extra area.

And thanks for the flamethrower. I’m assuming that it will wear out like other weapons?

16. noahbwilson

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    Yes. All weapons wear out. Something I took from Zelda: BotW. Forces you to have a variety of weapons.

I assure you that eventually you'll be trashing weapons. I have 6 Storm Ripper Axes, and I don't cheat (but I do know where secrets are).

17. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Yes, thanks for the flamethrower! I couldn’t complete the kings orders today cause I don’t have enough badges to enter the mine :( and I keep getting this low stamina message, why am I getting that/how do I raise it?
    I am still playing the heck out of this, it’s my new obsession :p
    I am planning on digging into the level editor soon :D

18. noahbwilson

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    Sadly, you will get some Orders for areas you can't go into yet. It'll pass. It really only happens on Level 1 because there are tiny limits like 1 Badge or 10 Badges. Once you get like 25 Badges, you can basically go anywhere you need to in order to complete the Orders.

Low Stamina? Stay at an Inn. Glad the Low Stamina message is working. It should make you run slower and weaker.

Be sure to check OPTIONS on the main menu. There are some FAQs there.

Another LESS THAN OBVIOUS option is to click right on your meters in the pause menu. It brings up a few details.

19. noahbwilson

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    I might push forth on this and do a mini v3.3.1 update for iOS. I noticed a pretty major error, but it has to do with Level 3 players only, of which there are 3 so far.

So you should get to test out the new dpad options soon.

20. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Ok from here on out I swear I am saving all gnit and retro tokens for level 2 upgrade. People have really managed to save up 10,000 for that? :O