iPad Retro Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rootbeersoup, Oct 5, 2008.

1. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Anyone else LOVE these retro games? Like LED Football, Pole Position, Pac Man, etc?

Personally I just love the LED Football app... I'm 19 so I wasn't around when these games were hits, but I've always loved the retro games

Anyone have any info about more games like this? Especially LED Baseball?

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
  3. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Whoa dude that's pretty cool!

Got any others?

4. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Haha I remember having a toy like that ;)

5. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Whoa, almost bought Frogger until I read a review about it not being compatible with the Touch... What's up with that??

6. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
  7. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    #9 vandy1997, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
    Another game that reminds me of the cheap plastic games handheld games that we used to buy is Micro Labyrinth (link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=288297101&mt=8 )!

We also need ports of Pitfall, Burger Time, and Tapper. It would be fun to play Tapper on a touchscreen. I'd also like to see a King's Quest-type game (Roberta Williams classic), a Wizardy-type game (Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord version), and Dark Castle (a great Mac classic)!

8. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

I love retro arcade games. I have hundreds of them on my PC, that I use with the MAME emulator (and yes, I own all the arcade boards these roms come from. :D )
    Is there a good MAME emulator for jailbroken iPhones? If so, I'd seriously consider jailbraking.

9. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I am a huge retro nut. I love retro games. The best games on Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Network, and the Wii Virtual Console are retro remakes or retro-inspired titles such a Geometry Wars.

Check my retro computing blog: http://www.bytecellar.com/

I'm quite anxious to see what other retro titles land on the iPhone. I think my favorite iPhone game is still Vector Blaster. :)

I've recently repurposed my once-home theater PC to serve as an emulation station, sharing a monitor with my Mac Pro. (There are more solid emulators for Win than for OS X, sadly.) I've been particularly enjoying the Sega Genesis + Sega CD + 32X emulation setup. Working my way through Silpheed, currently.

blakespot

10. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
  11. p0rth05

p0rth05 Member

Jun 6, 2008
  12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm a retro fan, and Space Out and Space Invasion are both really good examples. However, I have to disagree with Vector Blaster. While it is a nice technical achievement and I've always loved vector graphics, it's really a pretty terrible Tempest variant that doesn't do the original justice in any way shape or form.

Vector Blaster tosses out some of the best elements of the classic (flippers, for example), while simultaneously adding the worst of new gaming (enemies that require repeated hits, and yourself having a "life meter".) Also you take damage whenever an ememy reaches the end of the web, so there is no avoiding enemies on the rim (again, especially flippers.) As a result the gameplay is just repetitious. Add to that the disorientation that comes from the way the web moves instead of you moving and how you jump across large gaps, and it just isn't very fun to play. I hold out some hope that the game will be transformed into something good, but what's there is so misguided I don't have much hope for it happening, at least not without someone else getting involved in it.

Hopefully somebody will make a Tempest game that does it justice, perhaps in cahoots with these folks as they have the look right. They just don't have the game right. I'd love to see Tempest 2000 brought to the iPhone.

13. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    For anyone who digs the retro and has a PC, check Gravitron 2.

It's a Thrust-alike.

I grabbed it through Steam for $4.99 tonite. Great game with great retro gfx and soundtrack.

blakespot

14. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    While I agree that Tempest is notably superior game to Vector Blaster--I definitely prefer the original--I think VB captures much of the feel of the original and offers the really nice chiptune soundtrack.

I'd love to see Tempest (...or Tempest 2000 or Tempest 3000) ported to the iPhone, but I do enjoy Vector Blaster.

Related, see my Tempest post over at Byte Celler:
    http://www.bytecellar.com/archives/000158.php

blakespot

15. JavaBlack

JavaBlack New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Retro-heaven!

I'm in Retro-heaven right now because CRYSTAL QUEST is on the iPhone! Wow, what a throw-back! Purchased it right away and play it every minute I have a chance to. Awesome! Now, how about these: Dark Castle (mentioned earlier), Beyond Dark Castle, Armour Alley, Wings of Fury, Space Trader, Taipan, Airheart, oh, there are so many more... I can't hardly wait...

16. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    I did too now i cant stop playing it!

17. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah they also have "Aqua Punt" which is the exact same thing, but with footballs and goalposts