Universal Retro City Rampage DX (by Vblank Entertainment Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 10, 2016.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    RCR DX took 4 years to come to iOS, and the sequel (known as Shakedown Hawaii, btw) is coming only to PC, PS4 and Vita at the beginning, so maybe it'll arrive on iOS on 2020 :D

2. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    this game is just RAD. man, i love every second in this virtual world.

3. soco

soco Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Wow

That artwork is amazing! Excellent job

4. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    I love being, nana nana nana nana na.....BIFFMAN!!

I've done a butt load off missions, thought I was a lot farther into the game than I am. Only like 35%! Granted a lot of my time is being spent searching for loot bags, pay phones, and just causing carnage in general. Lovin' every second of it!

5. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    So the controls are OK? I think it was PocketGamer's review that made it seem like there was an awful lot of unwanted wall-crashes going on.

6. Retro Nug

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    There's some crashing going on but it feels like your a pinball bouncing around and the cars don't get ruined quick at all. If ya attract police they aren't bad to get rid of anyway. Usually I just drink Alotta coffee and go on foot most of the time. Fun stuff.

7. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    I'm in love with this game!:D :D
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️☝️#####

8. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    I tried the second control method, where you move the car the way you would your character in a DSS and just click a button to brake, and this is actually even better than the PC version! Also love the fact that killing cops eventually gives you a cop-cloaking device. Really makes mowing people down fun when you know you can easily clean the slate by swatting a few of the cops down harassing you. Both of these things actually seem like improvements on GTA's IOS ports.

9. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Like some others have said here, I'm actually enjoying the controls. The 'floating stick' option is my favourite after a bit of experimentation. Yes, driving is slightly chaotic, but that's the nature of the game and makes it fast, furious and fun.

I increasingly find that Pocket Gamer gives pretty harsh reviews. It's getting to the stage where if they give a game a lower score I figure I'll probably enjoy it! And their scores don't always seem to reflect what's actually being said in the written review a lot of the time.

10. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    That Harry guy churns out reviews so fast after release that you've gotta wonder exactly how well he's gotten to know some of the games he reviews.

I bought it anyway and it's now one of my favourite games on IOS. I've already put in more hours than I did with Chinatown Wars, and I really liked that.

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #131 VirtualBoyFreak, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    I've installed the game both on my 4s and iPad 3, and driving (always talking of the floating stick) is more chaotic on the 4s due to the smaller screen. On the iPad it feels just right, quite possibly because the joystick is bigger. Nonetheless, it's enjoyable on both devices.

If I had to highlight one thing that bothers me, it wouldn't be the controls, but the fact that touching anywhere skips the text. I'd like the option of having a button to pass text, but not touching anywhere. I tend to skip and miss text I'd love to read.

12. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    ^ multi-this

Apart from that, it's a fantastic game.

13. Retro Nug

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    I started off using automatic, but ended upnaettling on manual using the left/right arrows for driving. I also do the same on Chinatown Wars.

14. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    It's on sale for the first time. Should I get it? :)

15. Retro Nug

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Yes, yes you should. ##

16. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Perfect game for mobile.. Ridicoulsy small install size for a game with this much content.. I own it on 3 platforms.. This will never leave my device.. Quite sad to see it go on sale

17. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Hard to figure out controls and what's even going on. I stopped playing within twenty minutes. Prob is a good game just not for me

18. sinagog

Aug 15, 2014
    First off, try the second control method. Before doing that, I thought I'd made a bum purchase. Once you've done that, try driving around mowing people down, getting immunity drops from the cops. Then do a few Crazy Taxi-style missions in a yellow cab. Then maybe do a few actual missions. By this point I'm sure you'll have done a complete about-turn on this game.

19. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I bought it right when it came out. Played for about 10 minutes and was not impressed. Deleted. Downloaded a few days later, played for 10-20 minutes. Still wasn't impressed. Deleted. Just not for me. Controls aren't very good and it's just not fun to me. Wish I wouldn't have bought it.

20. infinityking

infinityking Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Could they actually add vigilante missions pleaseeeee#