Universal Retro City Rampage DX (by Vblank Entertainment Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    ahahaha, just finished the Paperboy mission!

wow, this game is a constant tribute to the 80s, cool.

2. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    im still thinking of buying it or not actually... Can anyone talk about the replay ability for this game? Is it something like GTA where you can explore a open world?? Thanks

3. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Not in the actual game but in a mini game.. Find the arcade room and you'll find a few mini games.. Fun stuff

4. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    It's open world and one of the cool things is that you can put it in free roaming mode and just have fun seeing how much damage you can do before the cops kill you and you have unlimited lives in this mode. There is a also and arcade challenges mode which is great. And the story mode is long from what I hear I don't know cuz I'm enjoying free roam mode so much as it is.

5. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    Thanks for the reply . Sounds kinda fun then,i think I'll have a go then:)

6. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    #86 speetz, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    I ended up dling this, and am having a blast! I only have one major complaint; the fact that a single click will skip dialogue. I keep accident skipping stuff because I go to move or press something and it skips the dialogue. I wish it was one press to make it appear instantly (like how some games have dialogue show up a letter at a time but rather quickly without you pressing anything) and another to go to the next piece of dialogue. Or just the need to press an actual skip or next button.

Because of this there are some basic plot points (and I'm sure some funny jokes) I am missing; did I go to the future from 1980 and am trying to get back? And what's the deal with my former accomplice? Did he just not see me for twenty years because I traveled through time? Any answers are welcome, even with spoilers, especially a tip to make it so I stop accidentally skip dialogue, especially for missions etc.

Also, I like that there are control over the buttons but it would be nice if we could move them more. Like a different arrangement. Small gripe there.

Played for quite a while last night and am enjoying it. The fact that you totally lose your weapons is a little annoying but understandable; I just wish if you bought them maybe you could come back and grab them out of storage, and just increase the price. But then again I also assume later on I'll have enough cash it won't matter; the claw is sooo fun lol

Also, if I finish the main story I can still keep going in the same save file right?

I know I am forgetting some things but all in all great game, aside from some mechanics and view point this is totally different than GTA which I am not the biggest of besides older ones. (Tho they are quality). This game does not take itself very seriously, which ends up a good thing. I am looking forward to the challenges and such.

Another way to travel more quickly would be nice, as would being able to jump into higher platforms, but those sound more like sequel type additions, including a bigger map. Next game could be more of a multi decade large map version which would be fun; go through the fifties, sixties etc with pop and criminal culture references, or even go to the forties and make it even more adult with drugs and gore.... Anyone agree? ;)

7. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    To the post above find a subway ride the train that's a quicker way
    All in all still enjoying this one
    I prefer the manual controls for steering actually but maybe that's cuz it's a lot like GTA mobile game controls in a way well honestly the controls are very similar all together. I got liberty city stories this morning since it was only 3.99 so I'm going back between the two and it's a blast! W that purchase I now have all the GTA mobile games

8. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Lots of replay ability. You can just follow the main storyline or break it up with optional side quests that send you around the city. There are also arcade games to play and a free roam mode.

We'll worth the asking price. Enjoy!

9. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #89 Prhaber, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    The last half hours gameplay when I got home from work....

Stole a vase from a museum in a raid, then drove across town in a massive police chase, finally escaping by jumping down a Mario-like pipe and finding a hidden area which led to an underwater lair in true Super Mario style. Oh, and I bought a cowboy hat. And acted as a bouncer in a Milk bar....and ran across town carrying a policeman over my head.

This game is insane, in such a good way!

Edit : just went back to the game and found a cave near a beach where I was given a Zelda style sword and shield and told to go and cut down bushes....wonderful.

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Woah! Just played for 20 min, but I loooove this game. Pixel perfect! It's more fun for me than the GTA games. But I'm a sucker for great pixel art and nice chiptunes... and this oozes quality in both disciplines. Fantastic game! Best purchase in quite some time!

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I felt that way too but you get better at it! Now I can make lots of tiny, quick turns to dart around cars and between lanes and it feels a lot better. I still run into stuff when I don't mean to and kill a lot of pedestrians but oh well :) I've found that if you make really subtle movements with your thumb, almost like rolling it on the analog stick rather than dragging it around, you can drive a lot better.

12. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Bought this game on impulse but really wish I hadn't. I appreciate that so many like it but it's just not my thing. After my first 5 minutes with it I already wished I hadn't bought it.

13. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    I found the arcade and checked the games out. Pretty cool! Now it's time to move into the next Mission.

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I initially felt the same, but I'd urge you to stick with it for a bit longer because this thing grew on me like a thick manly beard. The controls take a bit to get used to, I'd suggest playing the free play mode just running around and especially driving around and trying to get a feel for things. Then dive into Story mode, which is where this game really shines. The missions are interesting, the story is hilarious and filled with a million references, and there's just something so charming about all of it.

Maybe it's not your thing and you won't end up liking it still, but as someone who was initially like "THIS is what everyone's going gaga over?" I've now done a complete 180 and know for a fact I'll never delete this from my device, and will almost definitely play through the story multiple times.

15. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    This has to be my quote of the decade! I, on the other hand have enjoyed every second of this game. It plays like a fast paced retro pixelated Grand Theft Auto and, in my opinion, is every bit as enjoyable, if not moreso given my retro proclivities.

16. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I really enjoyed reading your GOTW writeup tonight.. While still teetering on the edge of purchase, it's fun to read of others genuine amusement with the game.

17. RandallPeek

RandallPeek Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    11 mb? How can something this fully featured have such a small footprint? Is this some type of programming wizardry? One would expect a port to have at least SOME bloat from compiling the code. This is insanely small.

18. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Well it's actually 13.5 MB installed so there's your bloat #

19. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    #99 Retro Nug, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    "I feel asleep." CLASSIC! A hahahaha!!

BTW, in story mode what exactly is the penalty for being killed? I've died several times so far and I haven't noticed anything negative because of it. I haven't been shown a "Game Over" or anything but I have been asked to retry mission or not, and if I choose retry it just starts me back from the nearest checkpoint.

20. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013

Thanks for the advice! I actually like the movement control, the buttons on the right side I just wish I wiuld maybe rearrange is all.

Can someone explain like the first ten to fifteen min of story in a small summary to me? Would give you +100 Speetz points redeemable at your nearest nowhere !