iPad RETRO – Cave Flyer: Price Drop ($0.99)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Adam T., Dec 31, 2008.

1. Adam T.

Adam T. Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Hi guys,

First, thank you Blake for the great review, it's always a massive relief to see kind words after months of graft.

To date we've only had two negative comments; the difficulty of a few particular early levels and (as ever on App Store) the price.

First, we're pleased to announce a price drop to £1.79 / $2.99, which we hope will encourage a those standing on the fence to make the jump.

Finally, version 1.1 was submitted to Apple on the 28th Dec, which addresses difficulty issues in both Normal and Hard modes.

Happy New Year :)

Adam T.

2. wisegrape

wisegrape Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    #2 wisegrape, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
    RETRO looks great but as many toucharcade members with so many great games recently out and many look so good that my app budget is way over budget for the month and most likely next month. I see you have 5 reviews in the iTunes store that are for the most part very positive. Right now I have been playing ZoneOut, 7 Cities and recently The Creeps!.

Keep up the good work. Your game looks polished and you seem to care deeply about what you release.

Happy New Year,
    Stephen

3. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I bought it, love the game. Thanks :)

EDIT: Bought it before the price drop... don't care, it's worth it.

4. Adam T.

Adam T. Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Thanks darwiniandude, that's really appreciated.

Stephen - we've mulled over a promotion giveaway, and we might do one after 1.1 is out (we get new tickets, see) but if so it'll most likely be open to all rather than anyone in particular...I don't want us to be seen as buying favorable reviews, I hope that makes sense. Don't let that stop you from buying the game though! (drat, should have seen that coming...!)

We have considered opening beta testing to toucharcade forum members - I'd love to do it for many reasons, but there are reservations as well. We have some very cool stuff in the works, some of which I've seen echoed in various wishlist posts so I'm sure there'd be no shortage of volunteers. I'll post regarding that sort of stuff in the future if forum decorum permits.

Cheers,

Adam T.

5. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I caught this game on AppSniper and I'm just wondering if anyone who has this game would mind giving a quick review on it for me. It looks like a great game, but I'd like one of the trusted people here at TA to let me know what it's like.

6. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I'd like some quick review. I think arn or Blake let the impression the game is not so easy...

Anyway, it seems the next update the developer will adjust the difficulty.

7. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Booo... just bought this yesterday .... oh well ... great (if REALLY difficult) game

8. dexx0008

dexx0008 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    agreed, i actually like the difficulty as it makes the game more challenging. mission 11 got me for a while, but finally beat it with over 2 1/2 minutes to spare.

i hope the update doesn't make it too easy or force me to beat some of these levels over.

9. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    [App]Retro[/App]
    I don't think that will make the game too easy. ;) But, I'm still wondering if the game is worth it and how long the 23 levels will last me.

10. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    The update is out. Did anyone try it?

11. spyker3292

spyker3292 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    You guys make Elefunk? Hmm... I might need to check this app out now :p.

12. TheOnePb

TheOnePb Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    Retro

Retro is reallly a great game! The support [Adam] is good and the game itself is FANTASTIC!
    Game music: ++
    Game (menu) look: ++
    Game itself: +
    Game look: +
    Game replayability: +
    Almost everything is fantastic! There are some bugs left but these prob. will be fixed in the update!:)
    I'd say it's worth the price!:cool:

13. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    @ Adam T.

First of all I'm really impressed with the game presentation.

Everything is really well put together as I've wrote in the Retro Lite topic.

I've just finished Level 7 that is a bit harder than I thought. Nothing impossible but it requires that you know the maze to get the best/fast path.

Here are my suggestions in order to make it bit easier so we can enjoy the spaceship control and the amazing graphics and animations"

- small arrows (screen borders) indicating where are astronauts to save, even if they are just left/right, or a small radar showing their position

- maybe an Easy mode where time is just a bonus point rather than an objective: I think time is the most criticized Retro feature and you should consider changing ASAP to avoid those low ratings...

- Of course Retro follows a physics law; inside the cave I think it's perfect; outside we can go up and it may take a lot of seconds to start going down again; maybe you could add a jet in the top of the spaceship to accelerate the process (e.g. use it by tapping in the upper part of the screen) or adjust the physics to avoid it

I hope you're a planning something because this game is awesome!

14. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    I just picked this up. Fantastic presentation.
    Great movement of the ship.
    So many great games coming out now!!!!

15. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    @ Adam T.

I have a new suggestion that is maybe easier to add regarding astronauts position:

Instead arrows or even a radar just a full view of the map before the mission that includes where astronauts are. This way we can plan ahead because we have an idea of where to go.

I think it's easier since you only have to add an image (like a mission brief) before the game itself. Less code I assume.

That'll be really cool I think.

16. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    $0.99 Now

price drop

17. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    cool!

downloading the lite first

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Bought it directly after the price drop.
    The presentation is AWESOME! So polished!!!
    Menues, music....simply impressive and with style!
    And it's truelly a haaard game....

And yes, as mentioned, please ad arrows or a little radar to indicate where to find the people.

Thanks for this fantastic game. Will look out for your new stuff for sure.
    And I'm also sure, the price drop will boost sales on this one!

19. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    That's great.

Just bought it the other day at full price.

No regrets, game is great!

20. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    hey adam!

any chances of an elefunk port?!? i have it on my ps3, freaking hard in my opinion (in a good way), tiki towers was my elefunk fix but it was way too easy......... checking up on retro asap.