Retinasizer - Upscale your OpenGL games!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sticktron, Sep 26, 2010.

1. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Pics aren't necessary, I'll take your word for what works.

It's a hit-or-miss thing really right now: we turn on Retina support and some games just work great, others don't. I will try to figure out a way to get the UIs fixed on broken games after I release the update with pixel-doubling and trilinear support. The update will make all games look better, so if it can't retinasize, you still have options for improvement.

2. pcgeek73

pcgeek73 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I just ran GTA:CW and it seemed to run really well on iPod touch 4. Cant give it a 100% good as some of the cutscenes pics are off a bit. I just used settings to stop background tasks and it ran smooth.

3. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

4. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
  5. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    I think someone asked about call of duty zombies. NOPE. Menus are all messed up. I don't think that I have found an activision game that has worked.

6. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    I think I own about all of the gameloft games and have tested all of them. If I haven't listed them in the last couple of pages they don't work. Dang and I was hoping the shrek games would.

7. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    Sirlovealot works perfect. Menus and games 100%

<string>com.hungry-game.sirlovalot</string>

I will add the game strings to to make it easier for everyone to add.

8. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    Ground Effect works perfect as well. 100% menus and game.

<string>com.glenncorpes.groundeffect</string>

9. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    Super Monkey Ball 2 works perfect 100% menus and in game. And it looks amazing!!!!!

<string>com.sega.SuperMonkeyBall2</string>

10. Cory Gillmore

Cory Gillmore Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Byhalia, MS
    Very cool. Thanks PCgeek!

11. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    No problem. I'm having fun testing them.

Forgot about a bunch of gameloft game. I have the action and sports packs. Not the individual games. Pro baseball, real tennis and blades of fury work 100% games and menus. Brothers in arms and lets golf and hero of Sparta did not work at all. Gonna test Ferrari gt and fishing kings as soon as I am done re downloading them from the app store.

12. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    Fishing kings works perfect 100% menus and in game.

<string>com.gameloft.FishingKings</string>

Ferrari gt and asphault 4 didn't work. I didn't figure they wouldn't.

Ok I gotta take a break from this for a while. More suggestions for games to test are welcome. If I have them I will test them. I think I am around 25 or 30 that work perfect. Will have to go back and count.

13. drfaygo

drfaygo Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Have you ever encountered a situation like I did where the game looked perfect but somehow the controls were broken ? Geometry wars had a analog stick system that pretty much follows your thumb wherever you place it. I take it the resolution increase confused the game on how that should work.

14. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Presumably the frame rate is pretty pathetic though. OpenGL1.1 fog is really badly emulated on HD hardware. When I ran the GL1.1 version of Ground Effect on iPad I only got 13 FPS. I'd be surprised if the Retinized version could manage 20 FPS which makes it a lot less playable. A new version with iPad/Retina support and a completely rewritten GL2.0 engine (with a bunch of other new graphical features) will be available soon.

15. drfaygo

drfaygo Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    glad to see a game dev posting in this thread. I'm glad to know that some of you are aware of what your consumers wants, I hope more are to follow!

Here are some pics of Edge. It's very playable if you use drag or tilt controls, the d-pad controls are broken.
    Menus are broken too, but can easily be navigated if you drag your finger around the screen to find what you want to selection.
    (Non Retina)
    [​IMG]

(Retina)
    [​IMG]

Looks cool but other than the zoomed-outedness of it i am not sure if Edge is really being retinasized.

16. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    I'm testing all of these on an iPod touch 4. What are you using?

17. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    Just went and raced a few laps and it runs great. Is there a way to check FPS?

18. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    It's possible that the newer drivers in a 4.x iPhone 4 have better1.1 emulation than a 3.2 iPad. I started my switch to GL2.0 before I had an iPhone 4. The (unreleased) version I have on my iPhone 4 now is still GL1.1 and has the fog disabled. It runs at about 40FPS which is pretty fast but still way slower than my GL2.0 testbed which uses the same engine and gets 60 most of the time at Retina rez. There is no way of getting an FPS readout on the released game. I bet it's slow in Stereo mode though. The 'engine transplant' into Ground Effect should start sometime this week and will be submitted to Apple shortly after, depending on how much other new stuff I add. It'll have nicer landscape and water at least (on all machines from 3gs up, possibly with Antialiasing on 3gs) and maybe lots more.

19. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    I went in and turned of retinasizer and played ground effect and then went back and turned it on and it ran at atleast the same framerate with it on as it did off. It looks amazing with it on!!

20. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    It's running on an iPod touch 4 here. I will try it In Stereo and see what it does.