Retinasizer - Upscale your OpenGL games!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sticktron, Sep 26, 2010.

1. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Could you do Skate it by EA?

2. Christian_Bale

Christian_Bale Active Member

Dec 6, 2009
    +1!!!

3. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

The HUD is non-functional. Some games may have hardcoded sizes, or there is another factor I'm not seeing. I'm learning iOS and OpenGL as I go along ;)

4. Neblinio

Neblinio New Member

Oct 9, 2010
    I tried with Eliminate Pro, and besides some minor graphic glitches in the menus, it works great! also the performance is excellent on my iPhone 4 (FW 4.0.1)

5. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    #45 Borgqueenx, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    But it aint supported in this version....?
    Edit: juwt tried and plays real pooped up.
    The right down corner is the screen, the rest stays black ingame... Menus have indeed graphical glitches. Iphone 4 on 4.0

6. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    I tried it but have now removed it as it is simply not good, every game that works with this mod has issues and they all run much slower when using this mod.

Thanks anyway but this isn't the answer forcing retina on non retina games.

7. Cory Gillmore

Cory Gillmore Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Byhalia, MS
    I'm really liking this little tweak. Thanks for the effort. Can't wait for the PES 11 update. As of now, PES 10 looks better than 11 and we can't have that now, can we? Lol. Keep it up. Can't wait to see what other games will benefit from this.

8. pcgeek73

pcgeek73 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    This works awesome on iPod touch 4. Were do I find the correct Id for the games I have? I would be more than happy to start testing the games I have.

Awesome work!!!!!!!!

9. sticktron

Thanks for the positive feedback.

The next update will be big! You will have the ability to set the filtering method for ALL upscaled content, on all high-res devices, by application. You can choose between default (bilinear), quality (trilinear), or pixel-doubled scaling (performance). Performance mode will look EXACTLY like a non-retina device (a little better because the lcd gridlines are smaller). It will also be faster. Quality mode will make all your games look crisper.

You will also be able to choose Retinasized, which instead of scaling, will force the game to render in native HD.

Retinasizer will appear in Settings, so you will have a graphics control panel so-to-speak, where you will be able to add apps and set scaling modes for each.

In the meantime, to add games yourself for testing, there are two steps:
    1. Find the bundle ID of the game: it's located in the file User/Applications/GAMEFOLDER.app/ItunesMetadata.plist, and looks like a backwards url.
    2. Add the bundle ID to the list in the file /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/Retinasizer.plist.

Easiest way is to use iFile on your device (free from Cydia).

10. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks for the info. Man this is awesome. Fun to play with. Just started testing games. Castle of magic works great when I added the Id. Gonna keep testing and post as I go.

11. sticktron

Let me know which games work well, and I'll add them to the list.

12. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    #52 pcgeek73, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    Here is castle of magic just so you have some proof! ;) A lot of other games work just menus are really screwed up. Ridge Racer looked really good just the menus were really bad.

If there are any particular games people want tested let me know and I will check it, if I have it. I have purchased about 400 games so just let me know! So far I would say I have tested about 20 or so games and Castle of magic was the only one so far that was perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Cory Gillmore

Cory Gillmore Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Byhalia, MS
    Been testing. All of the 2XL racing games have glitched menus. I managed to navigate them and jump into a few races with each one (2XL ATV, 2XL Xgames snowcross or whatever and 2XL Trophylite Rally) and they looked absolutely fantastic. The HUD was in the lower left hand corner instead of centered properly but they looked and ran fantastic. Hopefully there's a way to solve the menu problem because games will really benefit from the scaling. NFS Shift had major graphical glitches with this so it's a no go. 10 Pin Shuffle was also a no go. PES 11, as you already stated, did great. I attached a couple of screens of 2XL ATV looking gorgeous (except for the messed up HUD).

Attached Files:

14. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    #54 pcgeek73, Oct 10, 2010
    Awesome. Was Just getting ready to test the 2XL games. thanks for saving me the time. ;)

Also Rayman 2 works perfect menus, in game everything looks great!

Sticktron, do you want pictures to verify the working games? I wont post that games work unless they are 100% with menus and in game working. Testing on an Ipod touch 4, Jailbroke today ;)

15. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    4X4 Jam works 100% perfect menus and in game! It looks really nice. Gonna stop for the night I need to get some sleep, but will continue testing tomorrow.

16. drfaygo

drfaygo Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    #56 drfaygo, Oct 10, 2010
    is sonic 4 buggy for anyone else? I'll experiment with a few games soon enough. Really excited to be jailbroken again! looking forward to the update :)

17. drfaygo

Sep 7, 2010
    #57 drfaygo, Oct 10, 2010
    SUCCESS:
    CubeRunner* (com.andyqua.Cuberunner)
    Boost (com.jonathanlanis.boost)

Total Failures:
    Tetris
    Zenonia

Failures:
    Edge
    BitTripBeat
    Resident Evil Degeneration

--- Despite having varying levels of "brokenness", they were all extremely pretty and I got a glimpse at "what if"(excluding the total failures which was me just messing around).
    * There is a cuberunner2 so i assume the success of this applies to that as well

18. kevinhideto

kevinhideto New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Do know why it dosen't work on my ipod touch 4th gen...
    add the sources & install "retinasizer" right?
    Can any one help? :(

Thanks!

19. drfaygo

Sep 7, 2010
    There is no gui or anything. As long as you've correctly installed it, it should work on the games listed in the first post and any that you add manually (instructions on the 5th page)

onto my post:
    BUMMER!!!
    Geometry wars touch looks PERFECT! The menus and everything are properly retinasized, but for some reason it kills the controls! So close to playing geometry wars the way it deserves to be played :'(!!!!

Geometry wars = com.activision.gw3pad

20. pcgeek73

Jan 29, 2010
    Need for Speed Shift doesnt work. Will try a Skeleton story in a bit and get back to you.