Resynth - Minimal musical puzzler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PolyphonicLP, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Hi guys!

We just wanted to let you know about our new company and our first game! We're a couple of ex-console developers who worked at Blue Tongue here in Melbourne on de Blob, and we've now struck out on our own. Our first game is Resynth, a minimal musical puzzler where you remix the loops to solve the levels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have more info and a presskit available at our website. The game will be coming out in November. Check it out and let us know what you think in the comments, and follow us on twitter!

Cheers,
    Sam & Andy

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #2 Misguided, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Hey guys, this looks fantastic. And obviously you have a great pedigree.

Can you tell us a little bit more about the mechanics of how the game is played.
    I think I kind of get it after watching http://www.indiedb.com/games/resynth/videos/resynth-level-playthrough

It's like an interactive sequencer where you move around changing the patterns of the music to match the requirements, yes?

3. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I think the glowing white square is the player, a bit like a sokoban game?

Looks really awesome and I love games which combine music with puzzles. Definitely going to pick this up!!!

4. Thank you so much! Yeah the game is a mash up of a step sequencer with Sokoban, the classic box pushing puzzle game (in fact the working title was Sokoband - also as a kind of tribute to Draknek's Sokobond :). You remix the tracks in order to solve the levels, so as you play you get different melodies, but there's only one correct melody which completes each level. Each level also has a moves and time par value which you can try to beat so there is replayability there for the completionists.

Andy has been doing a PhD on synaesthesia and game design, and this idea came out of his PhD work. I'm also a jazz pianist so this game covers a lot of our own personal interests. It also ties back in to de Blob in some ways as well.

Thanks again for your interest and your encouraging comments! It's scary showing your new game to the public when you've been living with it so closely :)

Cheers,
    Sam

5. Yep that's basically it! Thanks! We can't wait to get it out there!

6. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    This is definitely one to watch and hopefully TA will do a feature. The aesthetic and music both look great.

One other question for you: are you able to tell us how you plan to price it yet?

7. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Music, Puzzler, my passions count me in.

Just wondering as I bought me an IPad Pro the other day as of this could be played in landscape mode as I have a stand were my IPad Pro stands on and it's very relaxed to play games this way as my hands are totally free.

8. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Here is my setup, very fun to game this way, ha ha.

Attached Files:

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Looks cool! :cool:

Keep us updated!

10. Oh that stand looks pretty handy! We've designed the game for portrait though and weren't planning on supporting landscape, at least not on initial release. We might look into it as a post-release update though.

11. Thanks Misguided! We're not sure exactly what the price will be yet, it's something we've still got to think about, but it will definitely be a premium product, and not free to play. We didn't feel that ads would suit the vibe.

12. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    It's okay, I will play it on the old Air then.

13. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Cool, thanks.

@Roger I needed to switch to using a stand recently as well. There are some pretty nice tripod mounts for tablets out there, which you can then use with the tripod of your choice.

14. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Yeah this stand is pretty handy, I got it from the Apple store it's from Belkin, it's very relax to play puzzle games this way.

15. #15 PolyphonicLP, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    It's been an exciting week and a bit! We'll be showing Resynth at the Made With Unity showcase at Unite in Melbourne on Monday if anyone is around.

Next week is Melbourne International Games Week and the GCAP conference is also on. We're super excited about that because part of that is the Australian Game Developer Awards, and Resynth was nominated for Excellence in Design, Excellence in Audio, and received an Honourable Mention for Innovation! You can check out the shortlists here.

So fingers crossed! We're up against some great games!

We've also got Resynth up on Steam Greenlight so if you want to see it on desktop platforms we'd appreciate a vote (but don't worry - it's very much going to be a mobile release first).

Cheers,
    Sam

16. sevenlily

sevenlily Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Beta test??

17. Hi all, we are looking for testers! If you're interested in checking out Resynth on iOS (no Android yet, sorry!), PM me your email address and I'll hook you up!

Cheers,
    Sam

18. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    PM sent. Thanks.

19. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Thanks for the testflight. What an inventive design this is; like travelling around a giant synth sequencer, moving "crates" to activate more sounds in the loop. Looks good, sounds good and puzzles good. Synesthesia rocks!

20. D4rkwolf

D4rkwolf Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Student
    In a house ^^
    Sounds nice Count me in!

As a music major, and Multi-instrumentalist, I can't wait to see how this turns out.