Universal Rescue Wings! (by Little Chicken)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jor, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Thouv

Thouv Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Male
    Thanks for the quick answer, this clears up the few questions I had. The double fire extinction with one bomb thing works, but it still requires skilled timing which is nice. Thanks for the tip!

2. Jor

Jor Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Long time no post, it's time for some analytics!

When the development for #rescuewings started it was a hardcore game, that was its biggest fun factor. When other designers gave feedback it usually involved big changes to make it easier. Sometimes your game is meant to be difficult though; the solution can also be proper onboarding!

3. Jor

Jor Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Did any of you manage to do a dribble yet?

Sometimes you get happy accidents. We developed the backflip-throw mechanic totally separate from making the bombs float in water. We much later realized this had the potential for some crazy level sequences. 6 fires, max 5 ammo.. how to solve to puzzle?

4. Thouv

Thouv Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Male
    Hey!
    The update from about a week ago was simply amazing, really changed stuff up in Competitive, it's so nice to see the leaderboard and I feel like it really boosted the, well, competitive, aspect of Competitive. Proof of that is the #1 MMR has increased from about 2000 to 2300 since the update. I'm also really enjoying the new levels. Anyways, thanks for this great update.
    Quick question: the Season 5 Grand Champion title is available for anyone who reaches #1, but will there be a title for people who are in the top spots at the end of the season?

5. Jor

Jor Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Hey Thouv!

At Little Chicken Game Company we know your name all too well, we've been having the top 100 leaderboard on a big screen for quite some weeks before we released the latest update, and your name was never missing! We're glad you like the update!

A profile title for the #1 spot at the end of the season is a lot more difficult for us to implement relative to the other titles we currently have as it can potentially happen while the #1 person is not logged in, thus requiring some back-end code for us to make. Though we really like the feature it was dropped in priority as only a very small portion of the current userbase would benifit.

For the next update (1.2.x) we're working on extra planes to ease out the big ramp up in plane prices we currently have. We also just passed a proposal for reworking the way coins are earned, introducing coin chests that'll have the player earn more coins in one go so the x2 adwatch is much more beneficial. 1.2.x will also introduce friend leaderboards for levels.

Much more updates are planned after 1.2.x.. let us know what bugs you or what you'd like to see!

6. Thouv

Thouv Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Male
    Hi Jor, thanks for the quick answer.

The coin chest concept sounds great, it's true that it's hard to get the top tier planes and even more so to get the level 3 upgrade for them.

I think adventure needs some more incentive to play and, as you said in an earlier comment in the thread, it is too linear.

Also, just a quirk I've noticed: hit boxes seem to not match the visual plane shapes very tightly. For example, on the level where you can chose the top, middle, or bottom path (with the top path having to squeeze through a tiny opening) - I think Jungle 4 - it seems the plane (Falcon in my case) can basically touch the top of the opening and still pass through, but it crashes when not even touching the bottom part. For the Blitz, the opposite seems to happen: the top hitbox of the plane seems a bit higher than the plane is visually.

7. Jor

Jor Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Yep, we agree. Our goal with Adventure is that it should be the main grinding spot to earn coins. This is still in concept fase, but for 1.3.x we're planning to add rescue packages that'll spawn randomly and contain either coins or a free boost (for x minutes). Over the updates we're planning to release more themes/areas (like the new underwater cave from the latest update), each with their own mechanic/characteristic and new landmarks/levels and branches to discover.

That's a good call. The collision models are indeed a 2D simplified version of the actual plane model. When planes decrease in speed or go up/down they'll wobble a bit in 3D (you'll see the bottom or top of the plane), offsetting their visual from their 2D collision model. I'll double check the planes you've mentioned though and I'll post a picture of their collisions in this thread!

8. Jor

Jor Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Here are some renders of the Blitz plane with its collision model (green line). You see that once the plane starts to "roll" it does not align with its collision model anymore:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see that once the plane starts to roll, the collision around the cockpit starts to break out of the plane's silhouette. Now here's the Night Falcon:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I must say this example does not portray your problem as well, as the collision line for the Night Falcon pretty much stays within the silhouette. Lastly we also have the collision line in the level itself, which is not always the outer silhouette of the shape:

[​IMG]

I think this is the level you were talking about. The red line in the image is the actual collision line, opposed to the warmer green that surrounds the shape. For every level theme we give the collision edge a bright color so it's more clear!

Let me know what you think or if this helps!

9. Thouv

Thouv Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Male
    Actually this makes sense now.

The hitbox not changing when the plane "rolls" explains why it some things seem off when going up or down. And the collision box of the top part of the "hole" in the level in question being on the light green line, above the actual lowest point which is darker (which I assume is there for shadowing or perspective) explains why it seemed as if I could touch the obstacle.

Thanks!

10. EmilianoDTH

EmilianoDTH Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Male
    This game looks fun. Does it have Gamcenter sync so it can be played across multiple iOS devices without losing progress?

11. Jor

Jor Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    We have Cloud Save, it's currently via a Facebook account!

EmilianoDTH likes this.
  12. Jor

Jor Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Hey guys, long time no see!

We've been focusing on small patches/updates past couple of weeks and I spared no time to make a post here..

Today we pushed patch 1.2 live to the stores!
    It contains many improvements, both for new and existing players.

[​IMG]

Coin Chests
    The biggest addition are coin chests. All coins are now earned via chests. They are rewarded less often but contain more coins, making it so less adviews are needed to double more coins. Overall more coins are rewarded for missions, pack completions and adventure play.

Mission Tiers
    All missions now respawn within a day and are categorized in bronze, silver and gold tiers, rewarding a coin chest of the respective tier. In addition, an ad can be watched to reduce the respawn time of a mission. Overall this increases the amount of coins that can be earned per day via missions by a lot.

Seasonal MMR Reset
    A good one for power users: the MMR now completely resets after each weekly competitive season. For the first day of the season the competitive leaderboard will be locked as it needs to be filled with scores. After the first day, the leaderboard will be accessible and the "Season x Grand Champion" title will be unlockable. This way players get a new chance each season to become number one.

Startup Times
    Another big one (for me) is the game startup time has been decreased by 50%. This means my Nexus 5 now starts the game within 15 seconds instead of the 30 seconds it needed before patch 1.2.

Let us know what you think about the new update!

Below there is a full list of all changes made for patch 1.2:

Features:
    - Game startup duration has been improved dramatically.
    - All coins are now earned via Coin Chests.
    - Earning a title now rewards the player with a Coin Chest.
    - Earning points in Adventure will now work towards earning a Silver Chest.
    - Starting up the game on a new day rewards the player with Daily Rewards that increase over time.
    - Avatar shop now shows a "New avatar deals" tooltip when new deals have become available.
    - MMR will now fully reset each season. The leaderboard and Grand Champion titles become available 1 day after reset.
    - Added 3 new planes at tier 3. All other tiers have moved up.
    - Increased max fuel can now be bought in the shop for coins.
    - Added Season of Space and Season of Plants.
    - Added more buyable avatars.

Changes:
    - Missions are now divided into Bronze, Silver and Gold tiers. Each tier has a different respawn duration which can be sped up with an adwatch.
    - Mission respawn notification now happens when all 3 missions have respawned.
    - Rescue Report has been removed from the game to make place for the new Daily Rewards.
    - MMR now always shows when in Legendary.
    - MMR loss now shows when forfeiting when in top 9999.
    - The game now forces the player to update when trying competitive when the current version is made outdated during play.
    - Subscription offer is now removed from startup.
    - The shop default page now changes when all IAPs on that page have already been bought.
    - The shop button in main menu is made more recognizable and animates every now and then.

Fixes:
    - Fixed issue where the opponent plane always shows a bomb even when all bombs have been dropped.
    - Fixed issue where some players were not logged out of Facebook properly.
    - Fixed issue where crashing takes a long time to continue when buying unlimited fuel while at 0 fuel.
    - Fixed issue where the display name in the top left is not updated after registering for the first time for Competitive.
    - Fixed issue where the Forfeit screen was not localized.

13. Muppetpuppet

Muppetpuppet Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Congrats with the game of the day feature!

14. Jor

Jor Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Thanks! We indeed got featured GOTD by Apple in the US today!

Bit of a weird story, as initially we got featured yesterday (9/11) but halfway morning we got pulled. Maybe someone at Apple thought it wouldn't be suited because of the date. Anyhow we are humbled and grateful for the feature![​IMG]