reputation system

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Real Racing Fan, Jun 17, 2011.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    And put the rest in your places. Did I say "your"? I meant "their".

2. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    You could start off the rep system as giving away your rep to people, and moderators start off with a set ammount, not to mention administrators.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I've never seen a reputation system that did anything other than inflate the already massive egos of people with high post counts.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I think that's the end of the thread then...

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Well, I mean, there's just not much reason at all to implement it. TouchArcade is a pretty drama-free forum. Adding an imaginary points system on top of things to somehow order the importance of people's opinions is entirely counterproductive to discussing 99¢ video games. Heck, if it was an easy toggle, I would have turned off post counts ages ago for this same reason.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I think you have a good point-- it would create some potential for drama. At the same time, though, I have seen forums where rep systems have turned out pretty well. It gives users a kind of meta-game incentive to be active on a forum. I know that's silly, but it's true.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #27 MidianGTX, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
    I was backing the idea of repping individual posts, in some attempt to make them easy to find/search for. If the rep wasn't directly attached to a user's profile it's not like they'd get to "keep" it as a record of their importance and people with low post counts would be just as likely to get a well-written and informative post rated.

I think the mods/admins have mentioned all of those "Downloading!" posts being a waste of space before. Surely if the useful stuff could be bumped above the likes of those it'd be easier/faster for people to get opinions (and feedback if you're a dev) on the game.

I'm not even sure if such a system exists on vBulletin, but it's definitely better than just repping users.

8. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Haaaaaa.

9. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Yeah, I agree with the anti-reputation sentiments. I think it often just leads to a small group of regular posters all bumping each other's rep. Ignoring the trolls on a forum, I would expect that rep would be highly correlated with post count anyways, which is already a silly (overvalued) metric used on many forums.

10. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    Ok, please lock this thread, thanks!

11. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Hodapp has not seen what we have